• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eloquent

Reaction score
I've had a tailor add a strap to a couple of jackets, but only suede ones. IMO it works a lot better with a soft leather or suede that's going to drape and hang from the strap when you're carrying it. Something like heavy calf is likely to stick out awkwardly because of the stiffness.

edit: I just clicked on the link, and I thought you were talking about attaching a carrying strap to the lining of the jacket (not sure whether this is still SOP for RO jackets, but the one I have has it). The double strap on the outside of the Acronym jacket would likely have a totally different effect.

Thank you for the response. I was actually thinking of it being on the inside, though the acronym one is also reversible, being able to be put both on the inside and the outside.

If possible, could I please get a reference as to where you got your tailor to attach the straps? I imagine the liniing material would not be able to handle much pressure on it.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I was actually thinking of it being on the inside, though the acronym one is also reversible, being able to be put both on the inside and the outside.

If possible, could I please get a reference as to where you got your tailor to attach the straps? I imagine the liniing material would not be able to handle much pressure on it.

Hopefully this will make some kind of sense: it attaches at the armhole seam (in the back, obvs), halfway between the seam at the yoke (top of the shoulder) and the seam at the side (basically at the armpit). Here's a picture that may or may not help illustrate:

IMG_20171003_163546021.jpg

If you're feeling fancy, you could have the lining opened up and have the strap attached inside the seam, which might make it a little sturdier and allow for more reinforcement. Also, a heavier leather is going to put more strain on the strap and seams than a lightweight suede or lighter leather (obvs).

NGOStudio

Reaction score

Like @notwithit said, it's best to attach onto the skin. Because you may not want to ruin the original seamwork, sewing onto the side or around the armholes makes thing easier, and stronger. You still might need to rework the lining. I plan to experiment this but haven't got the right balance between comfort and functionality. The straps in older RO jackets, while they're comfortable, are easily broken in my experience. Maybe that's why I've never felt right wearing supple lambskin jackets.

Joona

Reaction score
The RMC Buco J-24 has quickly become one of my favorite leather jackets. Bought from RMC London store in June. The Shinki horsehide used in this model is not dyed through, so it's already showing some small fade marks. Can't wait it to mold into my body and start to look beat up.

superdenimmccoys_15150224img_0029.jpg

superdenimmccoys_15150224img_0036.jpg

0l9bny0.jpg

Joona

Reaction score
Thanks @Synthese! Yeah, ignore the skinny jeans.. they are too tight for my liking too, in search for a well fitting black tapered jeans.

kekekekai

Reaction score
does anyone know if addict clothes center zip jacket is a tighter fit than a lewis leathers?

What i know is that Addict makes their jackets out of better quality leather than Lewis which are heavily coated. Plus Lewis is more expensive. The sizing are all on both websites, you should check it out.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What i know is that Addict makes their jackets out of better quality leather than Lewis which are heavily coated. Plus Lewis is more expensive. The sizing are all on both websites, you should check it out.
Addict clothes told me they use horse leather they source from tanneries on their specifications.

Not sure how that all works, but I sure like the feel of the leathers they use.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is the most depressing thread on SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads