• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you should focus more on whether the jacket looks good on you or not. People's back and forth about quality on this board is often muddled by all sorts of factors (designer's aesthetic intentions, the poster's biases, how the garment was used, etc). Above something like, say, Zara or whatever, most jackets are fine. Issues of quality should be obviously apparent in the jacket when you put it on, which means you can judge quality from how the garment looks on you.

If you want a jacket that lasts forever, you'll wind up with some crazy horsehide workwear thing, but that might not suit your aesthetic. Which goes back to why I think people are better off obsessing over aesthetics than quality. It's a much better measure of whether you'll like the jacket in a few years. Unless you're racing motorcycles in this thing, most leather jackets will do fine in your car rides to the cafe.

From the jackets you've posted in this thread, it seems like you want a somewhat conservative CM-y jacket. Have you you looked at Valstarino?

Questionnaire

Reaction score
xpost from the artisanal thread:

I'm selling a heavy calf stooges from FW14. Check out my listing: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/rick-owens-heavy-calf-stooges.3046/

Cheers.

2.JPG

3.JPG

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a worker in that heavy calf. Still have never worn it much. It's an interesting leather...much more "traditional"-feeling than most of Rick's stuff. Prominent grain, dry hand. It's pretty stiff right off the rack, and I still haven't decided whether I want to sell it (probably) or wear it and see if it breaks in nicely. Definitely looks terrible on me before it's broken in, though.

That said, in the guy's defense, heavier Rick leathers generally do sell for a lot more than thinner ones and justifiably so. A lot of Rick's leather jackets barely feel like leather jackets anymore, but he still does put out a couple kickass leathers every season it seems.

Last edited:

NGOStudio

Reaction score
then buy one for $500.

I did back then, a bunch of Rick leather for 350-500 each from an inventory seller. It's the problem with most brands at their peak. I hate to throw it out there but it's reality. He could sell for a few hundred more or loosely around 1k, but quite difficult at his asking price. I hope Rick can protect and preserve his status longer than other brands before him. And don't listen to a random guy on styleforum anyway, check it out for yourself :bored:

I've got a worker in that heavy calf. Still have never worn it much. It's an interesting leather...much more "traditional"-feeling than most of Rick's stuff. Prominent grain, dry hand. It's pretty stiff right off the rack, and I still haven't decided whether I want to sell it (probably) or wear it and see if it breaks in nicely. Definitely looks terrible on me before it's broken in, though.

That said, in the guy's defense, heavier Rick leathers generally do sell for a lot more than thinner ones and justifiably so. A lot of Rick's leather jackets barely feel like leather jackets anymore, but he still does put out a couple kickass leathers every season it seems.

Most of Rick's stuffs have become a bit saturated. I think it's not his intention but the business side in his company. However, some stuffs made and distributed limited in Europe or on his main website can be amazing. I was lucky enough to have some and definitely would keep them unless I'm out of money for food.

phyills

Reaction score
Unrelated: I noticed you can now buy some Addict jackets through Farfetch. They all look absolutely phenomenal. Got me thinking about getting a leather collared moto like this one again...

12108526_10411311_1000.jpg

I own this in dark brown horse. Sold one of my jackets to get it. Best clothing choice I've made in a long, looong time. Absolutely beautiful color and soft, thick leather. Fits quite trim though. The collar size is perfect too. I was thinking of getting an Aero halfbelt or highwayman, but the collars are massive. I probably could have gone a size up if I wanted to comfortably wear a thick sweater underneath. From all the pics I've seen they look amazing broken in.

They pop up every now and then on Y!JP for steal

Nafets47

Reaction score
I bought a couple leathers recently and one that pops out in regards to softness is the Frank & Oak Leather bomber.

Man that is a simple nice leather bomber.

I was looking for a Belstaff Money Bomber, however no-one sells them in my size so I figured that this would hold me down until I find it in my size.

Recommend picking up the Frank & Oak if you stumble across one.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Callusing is correct heavier leather RO is more valuable, i think the jacket is indeed priced too high for a quick sale as @NGOStudio pointed out but given the good condition i understand. FWIW i have same jacket and would have hard time parting.

Sym

Reaction score
Considering getting a Margiela Perfecto Replica. Anyone here either have one, has felt it in person or has any design complaints?

Retail Link

I actually quite like this jacket, but than again I also picked it up for a song. Smooth, stiff calf that will break in nicely, Riri zips galore, and I personally like the fit. I reach for it more often than my RO LCW calf stooges. My only complaint, and I've heard this same complaint form a fellow sf member, is that the arms are very narrow and restrictive at the elbow. I am fairly certain this is due to the quilted lining in the arms which I am hoping to have replaced soon.

Maven

Reaction score
I bought this theory jacket on huge discount at Neimans in Vegas this summer. Just an incredible coat and the leather is like butter. Really happy with it.

theory-black-rifle-lamb-leather-bomber-jacket-product-1-23346528-4-920317627-normal.jpeg

herp

Reaction score
Sending the Blackmeans back because it didn't quite fit me the way I wanted it to, and after comparing it to my Stooges I think I like traditional riders more than riders with the band collar. I'll still post some pics I took in a bit, though, because it really is a fantastic jacket. I'll just be getting something from Falcon instead.

Unrelated: I noticed you can now buy some Addict jackets through Farfetch. They all look absolutely phenomenal. Got me thinking about getting a leather collared moto like this one again...

12108526_10411311_1000.jpg
I really love the look of the jacket. However, I am unsure if the horsehide may look too rustic. Does anyone know if the jackets gets cracks quickly or it is "better" to buy a calf jacket if one doesn't ride a motorbike?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love the look of the jacket. However, I am unsure if the horsehide may look too rustic. Does anyone know if the jackets gets cracks quickly or it is "better" to buy a calf jacket if one doesn't ride a motorbike?

Horsehide looks rustic? I can't say I understand why that would be at all, esp given horsehide was the one of the predominant forms of leather for motorcycle jackets during the Golden Age.

There's no one who's going to be able to tell you which leather is "better" because it all depends on what you're looking for. HH is remarkably tough for its thinness, generally more abrasion resistant/water resistant, has a different look to it than most cow/steer. You could say lambskin is better, goat, calf, buffalo, steerhide/cowhide, etc. depending on the look/drape/durability you need or desire. Calf is often recommended as it intersects well with feel/drape and durability.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads