• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shortlefty

Reaction score

I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy 15 recently and it's possible that I have gone full video game because I think I kind of dig this jacket I grabbed recently. But I'm willing to acknowledge 80 hours of the game has addled my brain, and I look like I stepped out of a cosplay convention.
I can see what you mean but I think it looks great overall.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on quality and looks of Matchless leather jackets?

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah because i'm sure elon musk doesn't have the means to buy clothes from a city other than SF.
Maybe he just shops at Barneys. You guys seem to think that rich people don't eat, ****, and shop, just like the rest of us.

Last edited:

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe he just shops at Barneys. You guys seem to think that rich people don't eat, ****, and shop, just like the rest of us.

He has a hyerloop connected to every Barneys in the country. That's how he gets there.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crosspost from Recent Purchases (effortpost)

I've been looking for a DR for a little while now, something in a sturdy calf or horse, with a modern fit, and somewhat minimal design with no distressing. I tended to gravitate more towards British-influenced (Lewis) designs rather than US (Vanson), but I was open, though a belt was a no. Finally made a purchase today, but first, here's the journey...

Rick Owens Stooges
I actually have a Rick stooges in heavy washed lamb that is one of his best jackets, but I just wanted something without the washed process/distressing. I even had the zippers moved up the arms at a cost of like $300. I thought about one of the heavy calf jackets, but they're TOO heavy and I don't like the grained calf texture. Let it be known that no grail is forever (anyone wanna buy this thing? haha)

SLP L01 in calf
I flippin' hate SLP, but this jacket is pretty nice. Too bad it's like $4000 retail and a bit too cropped. I'd get it at half the price and from a different label, maybe.
(Pic stolen from the SLP thread on StyleForum, user Gabujabu)

Lewis Leathers Cyclone / Lightning
Here's where I start getting super picky... These are great jackets, and the inspo for the next couple brands, so I thought about going for the OG. However, I just don't like either design for stupid nitpicky reasons: 1.) I don't like the belt on the Cyclone. It looks stupid when worn open, and I wear mine open all the time. 2.) I don't like the front buckles on the Lightning. It looks just a little too much for me, I'd just like a clean front jacket. I also don't love the Lewis branding.

Lightning (buckles)

Cyclone (belt)

James Grose
I wish I could have had a chance to handle the horse, but nobody stocks it in Japan for some reason! The calf is alright, but the lamb feels a bit rough, not so buttery? I think that is maybe the style of these British jackets made from lamb though? I guess it breaks in nicely. These jackets have a great slim-fit and excellent hardware. My issue is the Manila, the one I'm most interested in, is a Cyclone-inspired jacket and has that same belt. The other DRs have a band collar.

Undercover
Undercover has a series of fairly Lewis-influenced jackets, mostly in calf, that are pretty nice. They have a slim, modern fit, with excellent hardware, and a ton of different zip/pocket/belt configurations so chances are you can find one you like. The only thing holding me back is that the leather quality is just good, nothing fantastic. Fairly standard calf. The turquoise in particular is beautiful, and I'd go for it if I was cooler

CdG x Lewis Leathers
This is stupid.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO... Addict Clothes. Addict Clothes is a brand that specializes in British-style motorcycle goods (and like, actual vintage motorcycles, which you can also buy in the store). They sell vintage Lewis Leathers jackets, but also have their own repro Lewis jackets that honestly make the original pale in comparison.

They have three types of leather:

Sheepskin
Not a fashion sheepskin, a thicker, slightly rougher one (similar to James Grose, but thicker). It's dyed first brown, then black, and the black dye fades over time to reveal the brown underneath.

Kip (calf)
Grained calf with decent thickness. Some beautiful colors of this.

Horse
Now here is what I was looking for - I love horse leather jackets because they have the thickness and durability of calf, but they also have a much brighter luster and generally a smoother grain than calf, depending on the piece. The horse leather these dudes use is absolutely beautiful, on par with my Layer-0 horse and CCP CORS in terms of thickness and suppleness, although obviously without the same treatment.

The jackets have beautiful details: entirely custom hardware (it felt pretty good), a quilted red lining, zipper tape that is matched to what the jacket will look like faded, etc.

Now, here's the detail that did it for me - they have the standard Cyclone and Lightning replicas, but they also have "long" versions with a body length better for fashion than riding that hits at the belt, not above it. The long version has the buckles moved to the back!! I was sold. It has the cool "motorcycle" details, but the front looks clean as hell. The fit is perfect - slim, but not skinny. I took a size 38, same as my Lewis and James Grose size.

They unfortunately didn't have my size in stock, so I placed an order (and had the measurements slightly adjusted while I was at it). Order process is fairly quick at two months. Price was 160,000 (same price for MtO and off the rack), about $1400 at current exchange rates.

The store owner would love to sell more jackets overseas. He speaks pretty good English and is happy to do mail orders via their website: http://addict-clothes.com/
I think he's also looking for overseas partners/stockists if any of y'all are "in the biz."
Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to help facilitate orders because it's a cool brand with cool people.

Here's some quick pics from the store:

Kip leather jacket in yellow

Lambskin jacket worn for five years in the front, horse worn for one year in the back, the motorcycle is also for sale!

Horse leather jacket after being broken in

Horse leather jackets on the rack

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads