• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a tailor that has experience in leather alterations. As for the bumps, don't iron leather ever. You will risk damaging it permanently. What kind of leather is it? If it is lamb and quite soft, it may eventually disappear by just continously wearing the jacket. Or if you are in a hurry, wear the jacket and wet those areas using cold water and mold it to the contour of your body. Might take a few attempts and it will make that area stiff and dried out. Just apply leather conditioner on those areas to relieve the dryness. Also, you'll risk dye running to the lining and through whatever shirt you are wearing while doing this.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

youwhat

Reaction score
just picking the right hanger really
but yeah hate it when people dont / or arent aware that it makes a difference

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Go to a tailor that has experience in leather alterations. As for the bumps, don't iron leather ever. You will risk damaging it permanently. What kind of leather is it? If it is lamb and quite soft, it may eventually disappear by just continously wearing the jacket. Or if you are in a hurry, wear the jacket and wet those areas using cold water and mold it to the contour of your body. Might take a few attempts and it will make that area stiff and dried out. Just apply leather conditioner on those areas to relieve the dryness. Also, you'll risk dye running to the lining and through whatever shirt you are wearing while doing this.

The product description says it's lambskin leather. It's super soft and almost paper thin.

leeba

Reaction score
can anybody id either of these? i'm not into leathers for the most part but these look sorta cool. like the collar on the first, drape on the second

Last edited:

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score

Just picked up this Belstaff jacket on clearance.  Everything fits, except the sleeves run a little long.  I need them shortened around 3 inches for perfect fit.  Can any tailor handle this kind of alteration?

I wouldn't shorten them. The style is supposed to have long sleeves so your arms aren't exposed when they're extended (e.g. when riding). It shouldn't fit like a suit jacket... would look off if it did.

3 better options:
- Wear gloves to prop the sleeves up,
- move the snap so the wrists are tighter,
- do curls so the girth of your arms holds the sleeves up (layers work, too)

though 3 inches is alot...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The product description says it's lambskin leather. It's super soft and almost paper thin.
I wouldn't shorten them. The style is supposed to have long sleeves so your arms aren't exposed when they're extended (e.g. when riding). It shouldn't fit like a suit jacket... would look off if it did.

3 better options:
- Wear gloves to prop the sleeves up,
- move the snap so the wrists are tighter,
- do curls so the girth of your arms holds the sleeves up (layers work, too)

though 3 inches is alot...
Normally I would agree with you on this, but this is nearly certainly a fashion jacket, and is only a motorcycle jacket in the same way as my black herringbone M65 is useful for infantry combat.

I would say to get it adjusted to the base of your thumb, but not any shorter than that, and to get it shortened from the shoulder.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I would say to get it adjusted to the base of your thumb, but not any shorter than that, and to get it shortened from the shoulder.
I tried on the jacket again. Lo and behold the sleeve ends exactly at the base of my thumb. So it's the perfect fit. I thought the sleeve is meant to end at the wrist bone or maybe half an inch longer but no more.

Thanks guys!
fing02[1].gif

Last edited:

youwhat

Reaction score
The perfect fit is where you want it to end.
Ignore that bollocks about about doing weights / wearing gloves etc

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score

The perfect fit is where you want it to end.

Certain elements of style are not subjective. 9 times out of 10, we look better wearing pieces as they were intended to be worn.

...and we should all be doing more weights

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Certain elements of style are not subjective. 9 times out of 10, we look better wearing pieces as they were intended to be worn.

...and we should all be doing more weights
Some dudes really overdo it with the weights. It's hard to look good in clothes if you have bulging muscles.

Bulging muscles and an "American Fighter" tee says "I'm a gigantic ass."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's no real reason to keep overly long sleeves if he doesn't intend to ride a bike.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
noonja eedut

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads