• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

This jacket was made by Thedi Leathers for Epaulet. I really love the style but have a question about the design.Specifically the zipper doesn't quite make it to the bottom of the jacket. Is this design for style or does it have a functional advantage? I noticed most of the Aero Racers have zippers that go all the way to the bottom of the jacket.
Can someone give me some insight?

To allow you to sit on a motorcycle without it riding up. The zipper would typically stop by the belt height of old high-rise pants, then you could sit down without fear of the jacket riding up or bunching up. See Buco J-100 - some of the older designs had closer to 5 inches between the end of the zip and the bottom of the jacket. Thedi makes nice jackets.

Last edited:

jglenn777

Reaction score

To allow you to sit on a motorcycle without it riding up. The zipper would typically stop by the belt height of old high-rise pants, then you could sit down without fear of the jacket riding up or bunching up. See Buco J-100 - some of the older designs had closer to 5 inches between the end of the zip and the bottom of the jacket. Thedi makes nice jackets.

Thanks sir. That is really helpful. Also thanks for the feedback I am pretty excited about this jacket. I hear that Thedi's horsehide is amazing.

ChrisGold

Reaction score

Thanks sir. That is really helpful. Also thanks for the feedback I am pretty excited about this jacket. I hear that Thedi's horsehide is amazing.

I just sold a Thedi to another leather collector and he went crazy about the leather when he received the jacket. It's about the softest HH that I have ever handled, but still seemed to be very tough. On my jacket, all the stitching was perfect, the lining was a great quality and I couldn't find any faults at all. I only sold it because it just wasn't getting worn much as I tend to favor my brown leathers.

Good luck with it.

jglenn777

Reaction score
I just sold a Thedi to another leather collector and he went crazy about the leather when he received the jacket. It's about the softest HH that I have ever handled, but still seemed to be very tough. On my jacket, all the stitching was perfect, the lining was a great quality and I couldn't find any faults at all. I only sold it because it just wasn't getting worn much as I tend to favor my brown leathers.

Good luck with it.

That's really great info. Which Thedi jacket did you have? Would love to see some pics...

Also a follow-up question: Which jacket in your collection gets the most use and why?

ChrisGold

Reaction score

That's really great info. Which Thedi jacket did you have?  Would love to see some pics...

Also a follow-up question:  Which jacket in your collection gets the most use and why?

It was the straight forward cafe racer, J-100 style. I wear my Langlitz Cascade more than any other jacket because it's my riding jacket. Second would be my Aero Sheene made from Russet Italian Horsehide, because it's a versatile shade of brown and I love the grain in the hide. My new Highwayman may give it a run for its money this Fall, I'll know soon.

Thedi:

Last edited:

jglenn777

Reaction score
It was the straight forward cafe racer, J-100 style. I wear my Langlitz Cascade more than any other jacket because it's my riding jacket. Second would be my Aero Sheene made from Russet Italian Horsehide, because it's a versatile shade of brown and I love the grain in the hide. My new Highwayman may give it a run for its money this Fall, I'll know soon.

Thedi:

That Thedi looks really phenomenal. I really dig the Aero Sheene as well. Would you say that Aero is a lot heavier feeling than Thedi?

So what color is your new Highwayman?

It sure looks like you have a great collection.

Thanks again,

ChrisGold

Reaction score
Yes, most of the Aero leathers are heavier than the Thedi, but the Thedi in turn is heavier than your typical mall jacket or fashion leather. Thedi is similar in weight to older leathers, which typically were not nearly as heavy as the hides that Aero, Lost Worlds and others currently use. I think the Thedi was around the same weight as my Aero goatskin jacket, which I'd estimate is in the 2.75 oz range.

The new Highwayman is seal brown.

psydle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the duplicating the image posts really help me imagine how thick these leathers are. If I've seen the same **** 3x then I know its seriously heavy.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried contacting Vanson directly? I've emailed and DM them on Instagram about one of their Japanese market jackets, but no reply.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

here we go... ma+ kids biker jacket.

i have to admit that kid looks really good in it but i wonder if this is necessary given the cost...

Cute kid, but this is the apex of stupidity - he is going to outgrow that in 3 months.

Hopefully it is just a one-off sample made for fun. If this is a retail offering, then....

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads