• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dawei94

Reaction score
I ordered a PS shearling coat from Cromford with extended length), dealing with them entirely remotely (I live in Beijing). The coat didn't require much input on design (so I can't comment on interacting with Cromford in that respect), but in retrospect there are a few further small changes I should have asked for or at least discussed (lowering and widening the pockets) which Cromford didn't propose either. As I recall, they sent three trial coats made from thin cotton so the service was very good even if the process took somewhat longer than expected. The coat fits perfectly and works very well in the subzero temperatures on my walk to and from work.

Got it, sounds like the fitting process went very well then? Was this MTM since you were just modifying the fit of an existing design, or was this considered bespoke (not sure if past a certain point on fit adjustments, it then becomes considered bespoke even with a standard design, like with tailoring)?

What do you think of the quality of it, and on a rugged vs luxurious scale, where would you put it? I saw some of Simon's commentary on PS suggest is was squarely in the middle, not full on rugged like with Chapal or something but also not full on luxurious like Seraphin

krakatoa

Reaction score
Got it, sounds like the fitting process went very well then? Was this MTM since you were just modifying the fit of an existing design, or was this considered bespoke (not sure if past a certain point on fit adjustments, it then becomes considered bespoke even with a standard design, like with tailoring)?

What do you think of the quality of it, and on a rugged vs luxurious scale, where would you put it? I saw some of Simon's commentary on PS suggest is was squarely in the middle, not full on rugged like with Chapal or something but also not full on luxurious like Seraphin
I'd consider it MTM given that I didn't ask for any deviations from the existing pattern. I agree that it's neither rugged nor luxurious, but maybe tending slightly toward the former (which exactly fit a functional gap in my wardrobe). The suede material, subdued color and quality of the finishing in my view render it an urban coat, but the thickness of the shearling and resulting bulky profile wouldn't lead me to wear it to formal events (I have other outerwear options for those occasions). I have no experience with Chapal or Seraphin but think the rugged/luxurious character of a coat may depend less on the maker and more on the style, material, color and finishing.

dawei94

Reaction score
I'd consider it MTM given that I didn't ask for any deviations from the existing pattern. I agree that it's neither rugged nor luxurious, but maybe tending slightly toward the former (which exactly fit a functional gap in my wardrobe). The suede material, subdued color and quality of the finishing in my view render it an urban coat, but the thickness of the shearling and resulting bulky profile wouldn't lead me to wear it to formal events (I have other outerwear options for those occasions). I have no experience with Chapal or Seraphin but think the rugged/luxurious character of a coat may depend less on the maker and more on the style, material, color and finishing.

Got it, makes sense. In neither particularly rugged or luxurious is what I'm going for as well.

I agree that the character depends more on the things that you noted, but what I've seen (at least among those other makers, this may be different for other makers) is that they pick styles, materials, etc. for all of their various offerings that are consistent with one point on the rugged/luxurious spectrum. For example, Chapal makes motorcycle and other very workwear type jackets (luxurious in their own way given the quality and price point but a very clear rugged aesthetic) whereas Seraphin makes more urban pieces with thinner, perhaps more delicate but also very high quality leather. They probably could both make what the other does, but they don't and stick within their lane.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
... whereas Seraphin makes more urban pieces with thinner, perhaps more delicate but also very high quality leather.

yes . seraphin has a maker style a definite and distinct maker style , the kings of lightweight hides with that european urban styling as you point out . i wouldn't ask them to do what aero does or vice versa .

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
86153CD5-390C-4018-83A4-32F55C7D3E3E.jpeg

Marching forward in the Dadcore…it’s not a job it’s an adventure…

Aero “Original Hercules” in Rust Goat Suede

Cheers!

espen

Reaction score
Seems like the Todd Snyder Dylan is pretty agreed upon as a decent suede trucker...at least from the thread history here.

Any sizing recommendations? I'm pretty in between a M and L, where the shoulders on the M might be a bit slim? I'm a 42 in both Y'2 and Real McCoys, but those feel like they have a bit more give than the TS. Sadly can't take a flyer and return one as they don't do that for international orders.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the Todd Snyder Dylan is pretty agreed upon as a decent suede trucker...at least from the thread history here.

Any sizing recommendations? I'm pretty in between a M and L, where the shoulders on the M might be a bit slim? I'm a 42 in both Y'2 and Real McCoys, but those feel like they have a bit more give than the TS. Sadly can't take a flyer and return one as they don't do that for international orders.
If you are a 42 in Real McCoys, then an M will probably be good for a regular fit. I am between a 40 and 42 in real McCoys and medium in Todd Snyder usually fits decently (a standard 40 US, larger than the Real McCoys 40).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why you would slum it with Todd Snyder when you have experience with rmc and y2
I wear anything from Schott to Rea; McCoys to CCP. It really just depends on your affinity for any particular piece. at least ime.

espen

Reaction score
I don't know why you would slum it with Todd Snyder when you have experience with rmc and y2
Fair point. The reality is that I’m a bit set on a green trucker, and also like things like functional pockets. Pretty slim pickin’s out there but I’m open to new ideas.

I almost brought up the Huckberry/Golden Bear one they have on their site but anticipated a bunch of naysaying.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's this from Officine Generale - https://us.officinegenerale.com/products/liam-jacket-goat-leather-olive-original-olive-original

Also worn by Ryan Reynolds (think he has an older version)
Ryan-Reynolds-Officine-Generale-Green-Suede-Trucker-Jacket.jpg

And of course Valstar
Nice...
Ilaria Urbinati dresses him.
She'a also my stylist. That statement would hold up in court, because I booked her for a session when she was guesting on Wishi.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice...
She'a also my stylist. That statement would hold up in court, because I booked her for a session when she was guesting on Wishi.

self stylers are such plebs

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice...
Why do you still dress like sh!t then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads