• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

suedefetish

Reaction score
lost worlds type 3. now I got the hard decision between this and my high large type 3.
20231106_132303.jpg
20231106_132326.jpg

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys so I’ll hopefully put an end to the “collared black moto” nonsense after this post.

I had placed an order for an Aero Premier Highwayman, but then got the cold feet; as I already said, I thought I’d end up with a beautiful jacket that wouldn’t fit me the way I wanted. So I emailed Aero, apologised profusely and asked if it would be possible to cancel the order, a mere two days after placing it. I had paid only the deposit (€250 or so) and I offered to get store credit (to get some jeans or knits) instead of a refund, or even to discount £50 from the refund for the inconveniences caused. Aero couldn’t have been nicer and issued a full refund right away. Also, for what it’s worth, the stitching across the back and into the sleeves in the Premier Highwayman is super cool, and I’ll miss that.

So I turned to Addict. I had discounted their AD-01 as too long, but as I said the other day, I liked most of the fits I saw, and didn’t seem long even in guys shorter than me. So once I had enquired about custom lengths (which they do once per year, seemingly during the summer when I guess sales are slower, normally they only offer custom sleeve lengths), after a couple of glasses of wine I placed an order. I was torn between a 38 or a 40, but wanted to wear this over a t-shirt or a fine merino knit, and open 99% of the time as I’m from the dieworkwear school of thought that states that most outerwear looks better open so went with the 38.

Today it arrived and I’m stoked. The leather (horse) is stiff (can stand on its own) but it’s thin so hopefully the break in process is easy; I’m a sucker for glossy leathers (which sadly goes away over time) and this fits the bill. Fit wise is definitely snug, but I can zip it if super cold (I’d have to put my tennis balls in my backpack though) and I’ve put some weight lately that I have every intention to get rid of (I always do, I’m too vain). So yeah it’s not perfect (I’d prefer a more supple leather, I don’t like the leather tab at the front and don’t care much for the side adjusters, and perhaps a slightly larger collar would be nice) but there are no deal breakers for me (like chest pockets or logos).

IMG_3844.jpeg

IMG_3846.jpeg

For comparison this is my best fitting jacket, a Falcon Garments DR2 in heavy calf. I wanted this one cropped so it’s 21 inches in the front and 23 in the back, vs 26 in the front and 26,75 in the back of the Addict, according to their website (I haven’t measured); such a big difference in numbers is hard to believe when wearing the jackets, to be honest. The merino turtleneck I was wearing rode up while swapping jackets, but still.

IMG_3845.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpeg

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, a note for anyone within the EU interested in Addict, FCL, LL, Y2 and other cool brands: the german? based stuf-f.com has really good prices. They have the Addict above for basically the same price as buying from Japan (what I did) plus import duties, but I presume better return policies.

They have the FCL Tyler (Tylor in some shops, but I’m assuming it’s the same model?) for just €200 more than the Addict, for those that value Shinki and fast aging (tea core was a deal breaker for me, and leather is not as glossy, plus the €200 and in some pics the collar doesn’t seem to sit right).

So they have the Addict, the FCL and the original, LL Corsair (not in horse though, nor in black); pics from their website in that order.

addict-clothes-ad-01-horsehide-center-zip-jacket-7_600x600@2x.jpg

fine-creek-and-co-acjk008-tylor-black-7_600x600@2x.jpg

lewis-leathers-stuff-the-corsair-no-60-brown-sheepskin-long-type-7_600x600@2x.jpg

SocialSculptures

Reaction score
The Addict looks great! I’m a huge fan of the brand and have one of their horsehide AD-02Ls - super happy with how it’s breaking in after about a year.

dino09

Reaction score
Ok guys so I’ll hopefully put an end to the “collared black moto” nonsense after this post.

I had placed an order for an Aero Premier Highwayman, but then got the cold feet; as I already said, I thought I’d end up with a beautiful jacket that wouldn’t fit me the way I wanted. So I emailed Aero, apologised profusely and asked if it would be possible to cancel the order, a mere two days after placing it. I had paid only the deposit (€250 or so) and I offered to get store credit (to get some jeans or knits) instead of a refund, or even to discount £50 from the refund for the inconveniences caused. Aero couldn’t have been nicer and issued a full refund right away. Also, for what it’s worth, the stitching across the back and into the sleeves in the Premier Highwayman is super cool, and I’ll miss that.

So I turned to Addict. I had discounted their AD-01 as too long, but as I said the other day, I liked most of the fits I saw, and didn’t seem long even in guys shorter than me. So once I had enquired about custom lengths (which they do once per year, seemingly during the summer when I guess sales are slower, normally they only offer custom sleeve lengths), after a couple of glasses of wine I placed an order. I was torn between a 38 or a 40, but wanted to wear this over a t-shirt or a fine merino knit, and open 99% of the time as I’m from the dieworkwear school of thought that states that most outerwear looks better open so went with the 38.

Today it arrived and I’m stoked. The leather (horse) is stiff (can stand on its own) but it’s thin so hopefully the break in process is easy; I’m a sucker for glossy leathers (which sadly goes away over time) and this fits the bill. Fit wise is definitely snug, but I can zip it if super cold (I’d have to put my tennis balls in my backpack though) and I’ve put some weight lately that I have every intention to get rid of (I always do, I’m too vain). So yeah it’s not perfect (I’d prefer a more supple leather, I don’t like the leather tab at the front and don’t care much for the side adjusters, and perhaps a slightly larger collar would be nice) but there are no deal breakers for me (like chest pockets or logos).

View attachment 2063737

View attachment 2063739

For comparison this is my best fitting jacket, a Falcon Garments DR2 in heavy calf. I wanted this one cropped so it’s 21 inches in the front and 23 in the back, vs 26 in the front and 26,75 in the back of the Addict, according to their website (I haven’t measured); such a big difference in numbers is hard to believe when wearing the jackets, to be honest. The merino turtleneck I was wearing rode up while swapping jackets, but still.

View attachment 2063749

View attachment 2063751
The addict fits great.

Watchman1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, especially if you're open to used. I could get 2-3 better used jackets for the same.

Yes, I kopped a Schott 530 from B&S here…excellent jacket…basically new for the deep discount…

You recommend EBay?

Last edited:

stevenkmason

Reaction score

View attachment 2063737

View attachment 2063739

View attachment 2063749

View attachment 2063751

Both of your jackets look great. How does the FG calf compare to the horse in terms of thickness/suppleness? I have a 3sixteen x Schott jacket in the arabica horsehide and FG shearling DR, and am considering going black calf for my next FG, but hoping the calf would be tougher than the shearling but more supple than the horsehide.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of your jackets look great. How does the FG calf compare to the horse in terms of thickness/suppleness? I have a 3sixteen x Schott jacket in the arabica horsehide and FG shearling DR, and am considering going black calf for my next FG, but hoping the calf would be tougher than the shearling but more supple than the horsehide.

My Falcon Garments is made out of the old calf that TOJ used to use, which was known for being thick/heavy and definitely not pliable. I went for that because the standard FG calf seemed more matte in pics and I prefer the more glossy stuff (in black jackets at least), and I was into heavy leather back then (not anymore). It’s become softer over time, luckily. Also this jacket is nearly 7 years old so no idea if that’s still an option. In any case I wouldn’t expect this older heavy calf to be anymore supple than most horsehide jackets out there. I haven’t handled their standard calf but it should be thinner and hopefully more pliable.

In general I wouldn’t even expect calf leather to be more supple than horse, I’d say what makes the difference is the tannage more than anything. Technically horse is supposed to be stronger but to be honest I’d be amazed if anyone without a microscope would be able to tell both apart if they went through the same tanning process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads