• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heresy but I have come to love cow and lamb much more than horse for actual daily wearing. Horse just is too uncomfortable even tho it looks great. Also its less forgiving in shape.

I have moderate leather jacket experience and to me all those leather types can be comfortable, but horsehide takes the longer break in.

As for that looks good... I don't mean to knock on horsehide but a large part amounts to novelty. There was a resurgence of horsehide leather about... 4-5 years ago perhaps? It became more desirable. On the other hand, the leathers that were most desirable right before were things like chrome tanned lambskin & plonge leather, that have a very clean look an a very fast break in. Those leather fell way back in desirability but that's the cycle of fashion for you.

Right now it's deerskin that's having a moment.

Basically... there is nothing wrong about you liking certain types of hides more. Just wear what makes you happy.

Last edited:

ollinnr

Reaction score
Any experiences with the leather Mister Freedom Ranch Blouse? I'm looking at the black "Ringo" in particular. I got a chance to try it on and liked the cropped length and relaxed cut. My biggest concern is it just not being versatile beyond workwear-type fits.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any experiences with the leather Mister Freedom Ranch Blouse? I'm looking at the black "Ringo" in particular. I got a chance to try it on and liked the cropped length and relaxed cut. My biggest concern is it just not being versatile beyond workwear-type fits.

I you're looking at the size 40 that's on grailed right now, don't buy it. I have dibs. (No I don't. I also have no money & no job).

My biggest concern is it just not being versatile beyond workwear-type fits.

Yeah that's not a super versatile garment if you don't dress "workwear" ish most of the time. I also think workwear is a misnomer, because anything that's like 40's to 70's inspired rugged casualwear could be a good fit.

ollinnr

Reaction score
I you're looking at the size 40 that's on grailed right now, don't buy it. I have dibs. (No I don't. I also have no money & no job).

Yeah that's not a super versatile garment if you don't dress "workwear" ish most of the time. I also think workwear is a misnomer, because anything that's like 40's to 70's inspired rugged casualwear could be a good fit.

I saw it, but unfortunately need a size 38, so you're safe :)

My wardrobe definitely leans towards rugged casualwear at the moment. I'm starting to incorporate less strictly casual workwear pieces though, so the Ranch Blouse might not feel as wearable a year or two from now.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ranch Blouse might not feel as wearable a year or two from now.

On that regard, I think the ranch blouse is very forgiving. It’s a weird hybrid of a shape betwern an a-1 & type 2 jacket, and despite it’s excentricity I think you can layer it in top of, like, tan chinos and a blue oxford shirt without looking too strange. It’s going to give a much more casual vibe than a non-leather jacket but it will be wearable.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Apparently a bunch of orders are "stalled in the queue. This month has been a push to get everything through the patterning queue."

Whatever that means. I guess Covid played a part? But that's just a wild guess on my part.

How's it going Understatesman? I actually just came back to SF because I remembered your amazing wall of jackets.

As for Vanson, they're in a very bad place lately. If you order a stock jacket from their site you'll get it quick and you'll get a good deal, but the old man who used to really run the custom stuff and collabs has retired, replaced by a pretty clueless young guy. They're also quite short on staff due to the broader garment industry issue of no one wanting to work in tailoring anymore.

I'd like to try one of their jackets but if it isn't something I can do retail, I don't think I would go for it.

Heresy but I have come to love cow and lamb much more than horse for actual daily wearing. Horse just is too uncomfortable even tho it looks great. Also its less forgiving in shape. I wear my addict custom leather a fair amount but the DR ive almost complete stopped (part of it being the sleeves just being a touch too short to wear with long sleeve items)

99% of the time that has nothing to do with what animal was the source of a hide. There's thin, midweight, and thick horsehide, likewise cowhide, sheep, and goat. Lamb is in a completely different category for softness and drape.

There are also hides that are stiff for a week or so then turn buttery soft.

The tanning process will tell you a lot more than what animal it came form. Chromexcel cow and horse are more similar to each other than they are to other horse or cow hides, with the main difference being that cow is heavier. (This actually led to a scam over a decade ago, when the people who now run Simmons Bilt were managing Aero. They would upcharge people for 'CXL horse' and send then cow, lol. Generally, people couldn't tell.)

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got a question for the community: I find myself drawn to more of a sheep/lambskin leather jacket recently. Specifically, cafe racer or Buco J-100 style for everyday casual wear. Now, I don't own one these days anymore (sold mine off a while back) but I'm missing the ease of wear it provided.

Is it just me, or is trying to rock a horsehide or even heavy cowhide a la Schott on the daily a bit much? I mean, let's take the standard Real McCoy's J-100 in their thin-nish horsehide. Isn't there still a sense of restricted movement in them compared to a soft lamb?

Or do you find something like this wearable on the daily?

s-l500.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've got a question for the community: I find myself drawn to more of a sheep/lambskin leather jacket recently. Specifically, cafe racer or Buco J-100 style for everyday casual wear. Now, I don't own one these days anymore (sold mine off a while back) but I'm missing the ease of wear it provided.

Is it just me, or is trying to rock a horsehide or even heavy cowhide a la Schott on the daily a bit much? I mean, let's take the standard Real McCoy's J-100 in their thin-nish horsehide. Isn't there still a sense of restricted movement in them compared to a soft lamb?

View attachment 1836415
I've got a CR in HH and find it wearable daily in during the fall/winter. I think lining plays a big part in wearability. Mine is cotton lined which will easier to wear in warmer Temps vs like a wool lining

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The RMC horsehide is probably similarly thick compared to Schott’s; in fact the Schott probably has faster break in.

Racing shirts jackets are somewhat restrictive due to their pattern. Yeah you can mitigate that with a softer leather but it’s the nature of the beast with the J-100 shape.There’s a whole wide range of non-riding jackets out there that can get you easier movement.

However if you’re really keen on having a cafe racer type jacket, consider a Lewis Leathers in their sheep skin. Amazing leather, super soft and pliable but won’t wear out like lamb. Their patterns are fantastic.

MrProper

Reaction score

View attachment 1836415
Of course you can wear this on the daily.
If something like this is too heavy for you, I would look for a mid weight leather. Lewis Leather sheepskin, Aero goat, Vicenza and how they are all called.
Vicenza, LL sheep, goat and Comipel unfinished HH I have myself and they wear really well on the daily life.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I'm just resigning to the fact that living in Texas, I never get to wear my leathers so I'm looking for a compromise that will allow me to wear one more. I used to do that with an old Armani lambskin I had for years until I ruined it in the rain. I wore that sucker around the world literally.

Nowadays, I'm lucky if I can wear my James Grose shearling DR twice a year.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may have told the story before but how exactly did it get ruined? Surely some rain won't **** a leather jacket that hard.

I was bar hopping in the East Village in NYC a ways back and it started raining hard as the bars were closing. I couldn't find my way to a subway station since I was new in town and at the time Uber and whatnot didn't exist, so I started walking back to my place in Battery Park next to the Financial District. Well, I got drenched. Drunkenly, I just took off the jacket and hung it over a chair or something. It went from a badass matte smooth lambskin, to a spotted wrinkly mess. From classy to bum aesthetic.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question:
i have an unlined schott in size small that fits me pretty well. Its measurements on the site say 16 for shoulders

every other aero/vanson etc… in size 38 or even 36 iirc have 17 or 18+ For their shoulder measurements.

are they really that bigger in the shoulders? Or is something different with the way they measure. I’m 5’8 but would say im more broad shouldered than not

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question:
i have an unlined schott in size small that fits me pretty well. Its measurements on the site say 16 for shoulders

every other aero/vanson etc… in size 38 or even 36 iirc have 17 or 18+ For their shoulder measurements.

are they really that bigger in the shoulders? Or is something different with the way they measure. I’m 5’8 but would say im more broad shouldered than not
Have you tried measuring the actual garment? Jacket makers vary quite a bit between each other. 16 is on the smaller side, though, for a 36.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads