• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just started looking at Thurston bros too. I have an Aero 1930s halfbelt in nat cxl coming. If it doesn't work out I'm looking hard at those Thedi jackets

The fit jacket worked very well for me. YMMV, but I knew my shoulder measurements from a number of tailored and outerwear jackets, so I insisted on what I needed for shoulders and hit it perfectly. Thedi is a little more unique than Aero, but it has it's more regular styles too. Aero sticks more to the repro styles from what I've seen.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t Thedi have a long wait time?

Mine took 6 months from final order to delivery. I know they Thedi was closed for part of the summer, so depending on when you order it may come closer to 4-5 months. I don't mind the waiting process personally and I ordered in the spring expecting it in the fall anyway. I've been on waiting lists for rare shell Alden boots for up to two years in the past, so 6 months feels like nothing.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fit jacket worked very well for me. YMMV, but I knew my shoulder measurements from a number of tailored and outerwear jackets, so I insisted on what I needed for shoulders and hit it perfectly. Thedi is a little more unique than Aero, but it has it's more regular styles too. Aero sticks more to the repro styles from what I've seen.
I've wanted a 30s halfbelt for awhile. I posted a story on TFL about one had.
I found it on the floor of Winterland amongst the floatsam and jetsam aftermath of a stoned Grateful Dead show in the early 70s. My girlfriend hand sewed a new plaid liner into it and I wore that thing until it literally fell apart. I'm going to give the Aero a shot but If the fits not right or I don't like it Ima return it for one of the Thedi's.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright guys lets get back to 5 zips

3C70E4E3-9E9A-44BF-A1AB-96E2191CC2AC.jpeg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aero sticks more to the repro styles from what I've seen.

Interestingly, this sort of is and is not the case (apart from the military jackets.)

They have a few jackets that are repros (chiefly the Indian Ranger, the 59er, and the jackets they co-developed with LVC), but the rest are original designs in the spirit of vintage jackets.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind vintage, you could get a B or C series (1950s-mid 1960's) G1 bomber fairly reasonably. If you decide you don't like it, you'll at least break even on selling it. Maybe even make a few bucks.

I was searching for something that was a little unique, but not out there. I like the A-2 style, but don't like the wool ribbing on the wrists and waist and I'm not a FL repro guy. This one has some of those aviation elements, but more modern and fashioned.

Carrie carries this one in green lamb suede and olive leather accents. That's what she sent me as a fit jacket. I almost started from scratch because of the color. It was just out there. But, it's the same style as on the Thedi website in brown cowhide, which was much easier to imagine. She sent me a bunch of leather samples and pictures comparing a few of the buffalo colors that she didn't have samples in, when I told her I liked the grain and feel of the black buffalo she shared with me. It was a really painless process.

If I ever get crazy I'll buy one of the shearling grizzly jackets. I can't imagine being able to pull that off. I'd probably look like a middle-aged teddy bear not a grizzly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads