• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My take: Kurt was a more unique, gifted songwriter who came from a different but accessible angle. Dave is better at writing mass-appealing rock with great hooks. Also, Dave comes at it a bit different in his guitar chords and phrasing but that's on the more technical side. Kurt didn't do anything that required obvious technique and dexterity, but he was very in tune with minor chord progressions and melody. Dave is, as you said, a musicians musician. Would he been as successful? Well, I can't see something like Pretender or Times Like These being easily ignored. So he would have found some success for sure. But This is a Call and I'll Stick Around needed something like Nirvana proceeding it to turn people onto atypical rock like those songs. In short, Foo Fighters are Nirvana if Nirvana intentionally set out to write radio-friendly, modern rock with a unique twist.

Recommended watch, specifically around 5:32 and on, and 12:40 and on:

I have worked really hard to not get worked up by this thread, but this is the worst of all takes and makes me want to never come back to this website.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My take: Kurt was a more unique, gifted songwriter who came from a different but accessible angle. Dave is better at writing mass-appealing rock with great hooks. Also, Dave comes at it a bit different in his guitar chords and phrasing but that's on the more technical side. Kurt didn't do anything that required obvious technique and dexterity, but he was very in tune with minor chord progressions and melody. Dave is, as you said, a musicians musician. Would he been as successful? Well, I can't see something like Pretender or Times Like These being easily ignored. So he would have found some success for sure. But This is a Call and I'll Stick Around needed something like Nirvana proceeding it to turn people onto atypical rock like those songs. In short, Foo Fighters are Nirvana if Nirvana intentionally set out to write radio-friendly, modern rock with a unique twist.

he's terrific on songs for the deaf , i think he would end up being sort of a celebrity drummer all the same

I have worked really hard to not get worked up by this thread, but this is the worst of all takes and makes me want to never come back to this website.

I mean i get what @Understatesman is saying.

I disagree that FF is nirvana, the first album definitely showed a transition but the things DG writes is r&r while Kurt is dreary grunge, Nirvana is much darker. I don't want to take away from them but of the 4 seattle bands i always saw Nirvana as the least talented compared to PJ/Soundgraden/AIC. Kurt did have a very specific approach of hitting everyone hard during the chorus (read that in his book back in day). I dont listen to Nirvana much these days but in high school Nevermind and In Utero received a lot of play in my cd player, yes a cd player.

I highly doubt Dave would of ended up a celeb drummer.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don't like digging on people's music but most of those bands are really
poppy rock bands. They have really decent pop songs but I would hesitate calling any of them dark aside from Alice in Chains.

Although I don't like grunge, and I think bands like foo fighter and rancid are the worst, I do appreciate Alice in Chains.

The 90s had great punk and metal. Most of those band were pop though. Where can I find a place to talk about Mr. Bungle, Melvins, eyehategod, and other great late 80s/90s acts.

edit: also going back to the leather stuff. I still think being this anal about fit is something that I wish I didn't know about the human condition.

Last edited:

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Touching on prior themes: the key difference is that Dave grohl is ugly and Kurt wasn’t

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, back to serious questions. All this talk about fit has made me take a second look at my FCL. I think the fit could be improved in a few areas, see pics below. I am thinking of adding an inch to the opening of the hip pockets, slimming the end of the sleeves and extending the lapel a bit (since it's now obviously way too narrow!) What do you guys think?

IMG_20210702_082900.jpg

IMG_20210702_082918.jpg

IMG_20210702_082950.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you imagine if this happened during the TOJ debacle? 58 requests to Charlie about changing the sleeve, length, and other measurements by 1/4th of an inch. Going back and forth, back and forth. The process takes over two years. And in the end, no jacket.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine if this happened during the TOJ debacle? 58 requests to Charlie about changing the sleeve, length, and other measurements by 1/4th of an inch. Going back and forth, back and forth.

Maybe that's exactly what happened? Maybe that was the reason why Drew went awol? Maybe that's why he went rogue? Why he went renegade?

unnamed.gif

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Honestly I don't like digging on people's music but most of those bands are really
poppy rock bands. They have really decent pop songs but I would hesitate calling any of them dark aside from Alice in Chains.

Alice in Chains just got lumped in with the rest because they were there are the same time and place. I like pretty much every single one of the "classic" grunge bands to a degree but AIC will always be above the rest for me.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine if this happened during the TOJ debacle? 58 requests to Charlie about changing the sleeve, length, and other measurements by 1/4th of an inch. Going back and forth, back and forth. The process takes over two years. And in the end, no jacket.

I did have a hell of a time getting the measurements down for my Falcon Garments and had a lot of back and forth with Charlie that it was clear he didn’t appreciate. In the end I had to have them re-do the sleeves because the cuff was too small (my fault) and the sleevehead and bicep way too big (they’re fault).

That empathy having been shared, I pray to God we can put a stake through this conversation. Totally fine with discussing early 90s radio hits, replete with @peachfuzzmcgee ‘s hot takes on the subject.

For my part, I just picked up a vinyl remaster of ‘August and Everything After’ by The Counting Crows and ‘Surfacing’ by Sarah McLachlan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads