• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nykwil

Reaction score
one jacket has shoulder gussets that add room for mobility.

one doesn't, and from my understanding the arm "gussets" on the roberts is useless.

Edit: just google some images of aero's cafe racer back. Those gussets can really add a lot of room to the back arms/ shoulders of the jacket

Last edited:

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Understatesman use measuring tape not a tape measure to get the correct sizing. I am sure your measurements are close but they are off because that tape measure is aluminum and doesn't bend, all tailors use measuring tape because it can account for more variations.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hate to be that guy, but I think the sleeves are too long. I love IH jackets but this has always been the drawback for me. I know they have real-world motorcycling heritage and I'm sure it's functional, but still..

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

Iron Heart Horsehide Leather Jacket - Self Edge Battle Edition in size 40

Pros: Very, very nice leather. I think it's nicer than the FCL's I've handled and owned. Satin-lined arms feel smooth and slippery. Cuff gussets are sewn in.
Cons: Very roomy upper arms. Maybe they'll camoflauge and conform better with some wear. Sleeves a slightly long, but not annoyingly so.

And of course, a comparison with my FCL Roberts in size 38.

View attachment 1632170
The Iron Heart looks like it is more comfortable. I don't understand how you move in the one on the left.

But more importantly, why buy another basically identical jacket? I guess you've got cash to burn, but you need to break in your first jacket a lot more before it really is "maximized" in terms of looks.

Spend the 2k on a plane ticket to Paris and bum around for a few weeks. Get your mind off these obsessive details. Your jacket will look better with some use and you might actually be fulfilled in a way that no jacket ever can.

In other words, get off the internet and get outside.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Leather Day!

Iron Heart Horsehide Leather Jacket - Self Edge Battle Edition in size 40

Pros: Very, very nice leather. I think it's nicer than the FCL's I've handled and owned. Satin-lined arms feel smooth and slippery. Cuff gussets are sewn in.
Cons: Very roomy upper arms. Maybe they'll camoflauge and conform better with some wear. Sleeves a slightly long, but not annoyingly so.

And of course, a comparison with my FCL Roberts in size 38.
The IH looks significantly better on you than either size of the FCL jacket. The sleeve length on the IH is a touch long as someone above mentioned they've done it on purpose, some people prefer it that way others don't. Personally i don't like the sleeves to touch the base of my thumb like that, i find it uncomfortable. This is your best fit so far.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
hate to be that guy, but I think the sleeves are too long. I love IH jackets but this has always been the drawback for me. I know they have real-world motorcycling heritage and I'm sure it's functional, but still..

If he pulls down the sleeve zipper, so the cuff is tight, the sleeves will shorten once they break in. As the sleeve accordions, it will naturally shorten the length. At the moment, he's wearing the jacket with the zipper halfway open, which allows the sleeve to fall down his arm. He may still have some excess with the zipper closed, but it will push the sleeve up and the wrinkling will take care of the rest.

Same concept with linen suits/ sport coats/ trousers. You want some excess at first.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Firstly IH looks great and congrats.

Secondly its a nice looking jacket which one can freely move in. I can explain how important that is to having a nice clothing item. If you cant move in it you won't wear it cuz its a pain. That IH gets more compliments than any other jacket I own. I picked it over an Aero and haven't looked back.

Wait, wait, wait ... according to your post here you took a size 38.

Why the hell did I buy a size 40???

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If he pulls down the sleeve zipper, so the cuff is tight, the sleeves will shorten once they break in. As the sleeve accordions, it will naturally shorten the length. At the moment, he's wearing the jacket with the zipper halfway open, which allows the sleeve to fall down his arm. He may still have some excess with the zipper closed, but it will push the sleeve up and the wrinkling will take care of the rest.

Same concept with linen suits/ sport coats/ trousers. You want some excess at first.

I'm not wearing it half way open. I have the zips pulled with about an inch opening because otherwise with my watch there it will cut off my circulation.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.) Provided measurements will always vary by some degree from your own measurements.

2.) The standard points of measurement (shoulder, chest, arm, back length, sometime stomach) do not provide enough information by which to accurately gauge fit. There are many small points of distinction that make one jacket fit your body different from another. The standard points of measurement are a reference several times abstracted from the thing itself.

3.) The fit of clothing is therefore only loosely correlated with what we think of as measurements.

4.) Buying clothing without trying on in person is therefore always a crap shoot.

5.) The type of measuring tool you are using leads to a different result than the accepted standard, which is a cloth measure.

6.) The IH looks great in the received size.

7.) I would wager you approved of the fit up to the point you measured the jacket and perceived an injustice.

8.) See points 1-7.
Gentlepeople, I believe we are being :foo2:d.

Genius level observations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads