• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danilo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LooseChange
prod1330_img1.jpg

Surface to Air Paris x Justice

I desperately want this. Too bad it's just way too espensive.

I want that... except without the elastic cuff and waist

jayce030

Reaction score
^^^

was checking out that surface to air jacket as well as its exactly what I'm looking for... well except minus the blue elastic cuff and waist. Any one help a chap out and let me know where to purchase a similiar leather jacket?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by changed
yeah, that jacket posted above is the nicest looking leather I've ever seen.

edit: the details (zippers and gaudy gold chains) are sort of annoying though.

?? They look fine to me, and I don't see any gaudy gold chains, unless we're talking about different pics.

Originally Posted by West24
i dont know where you live, but if you live in a somewhat big city, all the thrift stores have tons of them for dirt cheap. i would look there first.

I have found approximately 2 leather jackets of not-crap quality in thrift stores out of thousands I've looked at over 8-9 years of regular thrifting. They are very rarely dirt cheap either. Vintage stores are a much better bet and sometimes they price things much lower than they should.

Originally Posted by davo10375
"All thrift stores have tons of them for dirt cheap"... when I visit the US at the end of the year, I'm expecting to be able to walk into all thrift stores and be met with a glorious range of cheap leather jackets and awesome clothing/shoes.

On a scale of not-crazy to Michael Jackson what am I? Are there a few good thrift stores amongst large amounts of garbage ones?

You're about 9 MJs out of 10 on the crazy scale unfortunately. It's always possible that you'll find something amazing for cheap, but it's very unlikely, unfortunately. At least in my experience. Vintage resale stores (places that buy/sell and cull from thrifts, then mark up) are a much better bet. Ebay is probably the best bet for a decent vintage jacket, actually.

Originally Posted by jayce030
^^^

was checking out that surface to air jacket as well as its exactly what I'm looking for... well except minus the blue elastic cuff and waist. Any one help a chap out and let me know where to purchase a similiar leather jacket?

Never seen a similar one but there was a guy making custom leather jackets for decent prices on sufu a long while back. Not sure if he's still doing that. There are also other places that will make you a decent custom jacket for a reasonable price - unfortunately they tend to be in places like Argentina. Someone living there could really clean up with a custom leather business. Pakistan also keeps spamming me about their cheap leather, but having seen the conditions under which it's tanned and prepared (open pits full of nasty chemicals with 3rd world men stomping leather around with their bare legs) I'm just a little reluctant to recommend anything that comes from there.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Pakistan also keeps spamming me about their cheap leather, but having seen the conditions under which it's tanned and prepared (open pits full of nasty chemicals with 3rd world men stomping leather around with their bare legs) I'm just a little reluctant to recommend anything that comes from there.

Yikes. I was rather disappointed when I heard Vanson started making certain jackets in Pakistan. Apparently the newer jackets, like the Drifter, are made there. The new jackets with sizing S/M/L/etc are the ones made overseas; the older jackets with the conventional 38/42/46 sizing are still made in the US.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Yikes. I was rather disappointed when I heard Vanson started making certain jackets in Pakistan. Apparently the newer jackets, like the Drifter, are made there. The new jackets with sizing S/M/L/etc are the ones made overseas; the older jackets with the conventional 38/42/46 sizing are still made in the US.
Yeah, to be clear I'm not sure that all the leather coming out of there is made in those conditions, or is crap quality. I'd be very surprised if Vanson used suppliers like that. Just saying, the cheap stuff out of Pakistan is probably coming from that sort of mess.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was under the impression that thrift and vintage stores were pretty much the same thing? what is exactly the difference? isnt vintage second hand clothing, and thrift stores sell second hand clothing? can you fill me in?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
i was under the impression that thrift and vintage stores were pretty much the same thing? what is exactly the difference? isnt vintage second hand clothing, and thrift stores sell second hand clothing? can you fill me in?
Thrift stores sell donated clothing, and generally they are much cheaper, but don't sort to sell you only the best stuff. There is a lot of garbage to wade through to find something nice. Vintage stores sell clothing that they buy from customers, and a lot of them go to the thrift stores to pull out the stuff they want for their own store, and then mark that up. For the most part they have certain styles or eras that they stick to and reject anything that doesn't go with that look, because it wouldn't appeal to their usual customers. There are some second-hand stores that buy and sell and have pretty generic style as well, and I guess those would be vintage stores as well, but even they are picky about what they will buy/sell. One that I go to buys and sells only stuff that average college students would want to wear and doesn't verge too far into anything fashion-y.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqcao
love the shade; what are they?
- 10 year old RayBan Aviators

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Thrift stores sell donated clothing, and generally they are much cheaper, but don't sort to sell you only the best stuff. There is a lot of garbage to wade through to find something nice.

Vintage stores sell clothing that they buy from customers, and a lot of them go to the thrift stores to pull out the stuff they want for their own store, and then mark that up. For the most part they have certain styles or eras that they stick to and reject anything that doesn't go with that look, because it wouldn't appeal to their usual customers.

There are some second-hand stores that buy and sell and have pretty generic style as well, and I guess those would be vintage stores as well, but even they are picky about what they will buy/sell. One that I go to buys and sells only stuff that average college students would want to wear and doesn't verge too far into anything fashion-y.

oh ok ok. thanks. yea switch thrift to vintage. but still the vintage stores sell many of them for 30-80 and i go to one that pretty much only sells vintage jackets, and half of them are leather. i got my paul stuart jacket there for 30 dollars.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is this thread is title the "best" leather jackets, good leather doesn't usually come cheap. I'm being elitest and saying it can't, but it's hard to do.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashraf kh