• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7357.jpg

IMG_7358.jpg

Last edited:

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm more and more impressed with Vanson as a maker, though. Funny how Schott gets all the name recognition but Vanson has got some great fits in cafe racers.

In motorcyclist circles Vanson is very much king (though Schott isn't neglected).

How's the Vanson MTO coming?

Thurston is making me a fur collar just now, but my jacket itself is done. Looking forward to having it in hand.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Cancelled the MTO for now. I have a size 40 Vanson coming tomorrow so I really want to see how that works out first.

Always worth trying the OTR option, and if you take pictures in it zipped and unzipped, it can be a reference point to show Carrie later anyway.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just came in today. I love it, granted of course the body is super tight but the shoulders and arms are gravy. If I keep it, I'm going to have to wear it unzipped always. Comparing it to the FCL, I have no idea why they tubified the body and removed the arm gussets. This OG is still very slim and flattering. I'll upload pics in a bit.

I'm more and more impressed with Vanson as a maker, though. Funny how Schott gets all the name recognition but Vanson has got some great fits in cafe racers.
Schott is fashion, vanson is function they have different audiences but i know vanson to make fashion jackets whereas I don’t really know Schott to make a function one.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schott is fashion, vanson is function they have different audiences but i know vanson to make fashion jackets whereas I don’t really know Schott to make a function one.

I'd say Schott kept working on function through the 80s (with things like the addition of underarm footballs), but yeah. While they're still worn by riders, they haven't kept innovating in that field since then. The ergonomics of a 613/618/118 are great, but to couple that with armor you'd have to wear an armored shirt underneath. (Some people prefer this anyway, but either way it shows that that hasn't been a big part of their R&D since.)

Vanson on the other hand is a motorcycle equipment company first and foremost, supplying race suits and the like. It's probably for similar reasons that Lewis has also gone ahead and worked with armor companies to make armored motorcycle jackets with the classic Lewis aesthetic.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say Schott kept working on function through the 80s (with things like the addition of underarm footballs), but yeah. While they're still worn by riders, they haven't kept innovating in that field since then. The ergonomics of a 613/618/118 are great, but to couple that with armor you'd have to wear an armored shirt underneath. (Some people prefer this anyway, but either way it shows that that hasn't been a big part of their R&D since.)

Vanson on the other hand is a motorcycle equipment company first and foremost, supplying race suits and the like. It's probably for similar reasons that Lewis has also gone ahead and worked with armor companies to make armored motorcycle jackets with the classic Lewis aesthetic.

fair point, but I am referring to the current manufacturer in its state not one from 40 years ago

Does anyone recognize this jacket?
Who makes it?

View attachment 1696208

View attachment 1696209

burn it

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fair point, but I am referring to the current manufacturer in its state not one from 40 years ago

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.

There's a motorcycle club near me and the members seem to wear Schott.

Yeah, it's a minority of Schott buyers who ride– and perhaps a minority of riders who wear even jackets, let alone armor. But among those that do, it seems like the most common are the jackets sold at motorcycle dealerships, mall jackets, then Schott and Vanson. There may be some regional variation though.

Among racers and track riders, Vanson is really the maker.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SasuAngy