• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jessicamullen

Reaction score
Don't know about the suede but there is a cool varsity jacket at USA Jacket titled "Mens Golden Bear Letterman Jacket". Good for price even.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my Johnson Leathers moto jacket in a 3.75-4oz heavy naked cowhide.

It's based on a vintage TT Leathers jacket I sent them to copy with some modifications.

32440871695_86490ca688_c.jpg

b1lf

Reaction score

Here's my Johnson Leathers moto jacket in a 3.75-4oz heavy naked cowhide.

It's based on a vintage TT Leathers jacket I sent them to copy with some modifications.

32440871695_86490ca688_c.jpg

Damn that's sick - no hand pockets though? Or do those lower horizontal ones work?

Fit pics?

b1lf

Reaction score
After much debate - I ended up pulling the trigger on a new Vanson Mobel B in their competition weight leather.

Comes in Tuesday, can't wait.

(Example pics)

These things take a LONG time to break in but well worth it. Broken in ones not only look amazing, but it really molds to your body. Hoping I chose the correct size.

Last edited:

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn that's sick - no hand pockets though? Or do those lower horizontal ones work?

Fit pics?

I'll snap some fit pics later. All pockets are functional and the vertical ones can work as hand pockets but the zipper teeth scratch my hands :embar:

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
The design with horizontal pockets and double buckles is classic. Who cares if the pockets are not functional? Not like the buckles are :)

MarkinNYC

Reaction score
Looks great! I am not a huge fan of brass zippers on black leather but it's just my preference. What made you choose this over Schott 141?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its a moto jacket - it's not like you're going to ride with your hands in the pockets. they for holding stuff.

i really like the quilted yoke. a lot. i've got a very vintage flat track shirt/jacket with similar armoring (i don't wear it but i couldn't say no) and i've always wondered about having that on something i would wear. i'd wear that tho.

co-sign Johnsons they do great work.

jmo75

Reaction score

Just received my Aero Board Racer "Fit jacket" from Thurston Bros. They have recommended and will be taking up the sleeves 1.5 inches and raising the bottom hem about .5 inches. I'm going with black Vincenza Horsehide which is what the fit jacket was made with. Can't wait to receive it. This jacket really molds to you. A little stiff but they said after about two weeks of wearing it around it should break in nicely.

b1lf

Reaction score

​Looks great! I am not a huge fan of brass zippers on black leather but it's just my preference.  What made you choose this over Schott 141?

The Schott 141 has a loose cut. The 641 is the more modern fit, tighter cut. I did consider that, it's usually made in Steerhude - but especially the Horsehide version I thought looked killer.

The issue is two fold:
-horsehide version has stitched in, quilted insulation and I live in Southern California (could barely wear it)
-their fit is.. pretty weak IMO

I recently had a Schott 654 and although it's a different cut, I looked at measurements comparing the 654 to the 641. I had to size down M to S) on the 654 to get a snug fit - again - I'm in SoCal so I'm only wearing a Tshirt or perhaps a long sleeve button down under it. No other layering.

The fit was fine except the shoulders, which don't exactly stretch out in ANY jacket, let alone a leather one, had to sell it. The Medium in that jacket would have been too loose elsewhere (chest, arms, etc).

Looking at the 641, it's shaped like a triangle. Very broad shoulders, tapering in tight at the waist, and it's also relatively short. I personally have a long torso for my height (5'10" and relatively short legs as a result) - so again to get a snug fit it probably wouldn't hit around my ideal belt/waist line.

... Schott is pretty legendary, there's no arguing that. However all of my other research has pointed me towards the conclusion that the other East coast leather jacket manufacturers are producing a superior product (aka Vanson).

The fit it more slim, the leather is arguably the best, and I actually prefer the brass for two reasons:

1) Looks
2) I'm actually mildly allergic to nickel. I had BillyKirk belt with a nickel buckle and it gave me a rash - they hooked me up with replacing the buckle to a brass one, rash went away and I never have any issues. Apparently a large percentage (20%?) of the population is allergic to nickel actually. My Schott 654 had chrome?/nickel hardware and it never gave me any issues though......

I'll see! I debated this purchase going on two years now (with the Schott coming in within that time frame); I get the jacket Tuesday - hopefully I made the right call.

Qristian

Reaction score
In my opinion the only difference between the Schott 141 and 641 (or 641hh) and is that 641 fits one size smaller. As I understand size 44 in 141 has the same measurements as side 46 in 641. That's not in fact slimmer fit if but it is the same jacket size smaller. Schott could label their jackets in correct size. Same thing with 626vn. Why put a size label before factory vintaging process if the jacket shrinks one size smaller as is stated?

The thing I don't like in my 641hh, is the huge gussets in bi-swing back. Those batwings look like from Thriller video. I prefer plain back but that is because don't ride. Those gussets and underarm footballs are propably useful when reaching handlebars..

@jmo74: great looking Aero (corrected the brand), good fit!

Last edited:

b1lf

Reaction score
^ Even though Schott's sizing is messed up (agreed there) - I doubt they be that daft to sell a separate line (141 vs 641) that is EXACTLY the same just a size down. More or less you're probably right about how they fit in general but Schott claims the 641 is cut thinner. Also, the 641HH is apparently trimmer than the steerhide version of the 641 to add further confusion, lol.

Oh and PS, that dude above is in an Aero, not a Vanson. ;)

jmo75

Reaction score
In my opinion the only difference between the Schott 141 and 641 (or 641hh) and is that 641 fits one size smaller. As I understand size 44 in 141 has the same measurements as side 46 in 641. That's not in fact slimmer fit if but it is the same jacket size smaller. Schott could label their jackets in correct size. Same thing with 626vn. Why put a size label before factory vintaging process if the jacket shrinks one size smaller as is stated?

The thing I don't like in my 641hh, is the huge gussets in bi-swing back. Those batwings look like from Thriller video. I prefer plain back but that is because don't ride. Those gussets and underarm footballs are propably useful when reaching handlebars..

@jmo74: great looking Aero (corrected the brand), good fit!
Thanks man! It's been tough for me to find a cafe style leather jacket with a fit that i liked. Really looking forward to receiving it

I do like my Schott 654 but it is a different fit than the Aero. Not as fitted which is what I was searching for.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Recently bought this like new Giorgio Brato black lamb leather jacket off grailed. Love his leather dyeing and washing treatment, the use of precious fiber such as wool, silk, loosely woven cotton as lining, design and the cut.

Take a look at his FW16 lookbook and SS17 lookbook. They're amazing! I just wish I could afford or want to pay the full price for any piece!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads