• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I prefer the zipper to end by the top of my belt line and then the leather that falls below that can extend down a little further. (In a J-100 style like the Aero Board Racer or other J-100 reproductions)
Historically, the length on these jackets changed from decade to decade. In the late 40s they were pretty short, but by the 60s they were being made much longer, so you see examples running to both extremes, even from Buco. Below are three J-100 types, a Himel Kensington in steerhide, then the master himself wearing his own jacket in white with navy stripes, and finally me in an Aero goatskin Board Racer. Mine just extends over the belt but looks shorter because of the shirt hanging down.
It also depended on the company. Brimaco versions of cafe racers were quite long, though I suppose that you could argue that those were based more on a racing shirt.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Givenchy has something a bit East West-y this season.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me I prefer the zipper to end by the top of my belt line and then the leather that falls below that can extend down a little further. (In a J-100 style like the Aero Board Racer or other J-100 reproductions)
Historically, the length on these jackets changed from decade to decade. In the late 40s they were pretty short, but by the 60s they were being made much longer, so you see examples running to both extremes, even from Buco. Below are three J-100 types, a Himel Kensington in steerhide, then the master himself wearing his own jacket in white with navy stripes, and finally me in an Aero goatskin Board Racer. Mine just extends over the belt but looks shorter because of the shirt hanging down.

Thanks Chris, for the fitting advice, and the pictures to illustrate.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Incarnation jackets have had a rough time on Grailed recently...there's one in dry lamb at $182 right now, and another in calf a couple weeks ago that didn't move at $280 until the seller took it down. I was surprised, but maybe there's just less interest in that style of jacket these days?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Incarnation jackets have had a rough time on Grailed recently...there's one in dry lamb at $182 right now, and another in calf a couple weeks ago that didn't move at $280 until the seller took it down. I was surprised, but maybe there's just less interest in that style of jacket these days?

I've had one for sale forever. The worst part is that it is relatively conventionally styled, I have just put on too much muscle for the high armholes to fit comfortably.

Ridiculous stuff, but honestly for anything less than what I am listing, I'd rather just keep it in case I slim down in the future again.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brand it self never really took off in that niche. It doesn't help that some of the earlier stuff were straight up CCP rip offs.

chocolatelvis

Reaction score

That's odd. Perhaps it is just the style and just noticed my link I originally posted doesn't work, but I really think that specific style is perfect, of course depending on who and how it's worn. I myself would rock the s**t out of regardless. :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thedi Padded Cafe Racer in Veg Tanned Italian Horsehide, fresh out of the box from Thurston.

How do you feel about the Thedi leather? I have a hard time with the lightweight of it, personally, but they do cut a good (and ridiculously slim) jacket.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you guys feel about combining black leather with brass/matte gold zippers? I guess most people prefer the black/silver combo, and leaving the golden metals to warmer colors like brown Leathers...

Adroit

Reaction score
^ Plenty of historical precedent for brass/matte gold zippers with black leather. That said, I much prefer nickel with black.

Bullitt

Reaction score

Real McCoy's has long been the gold standard of J-100s, very high quality and Shinki Horsehide. If you went stitch by stitch and also compared the Shinki to other leathers, then most would probably agree that it's a higher quality. On the other hand, if you ordered an Aero in their Vincenza leather, then it becomes a debate as to whether the difference is worth the $. I don't think the collar on the Simmons Bilt looks good, at all...

Diamond Dave is a relative newcomer who is mentored by John Chapman of Goodwear, and he makes a very very attractively priced J-100 replica. You can search around, as he has reviews running from glowing to disappointment. I own one that came out great, but I've also owned an Aero Board Racer that was very top notch. It's worth looking through a lot of pictures, as patterns do differ between the companies.

Thanks for your reply.

This will be my first leather jacket. At the moment I tend towards the Buco jacket. It might be the most expensive option, but I can at least visit the Real McCoy store in London and try it on before I buy it.

Diamond Dave seems to be interesting, but I prefer Areo. The Board racer in Vincenza leather looks really good. However, here in the UK, purchasing an Aero jacket seems to be overly complicated. They have no retailers and one has to order from their website, which is not really user friendly, at least not for a novice. I could just order a stock jacket in my usual size, which might not fit properly. Then I would have to send it back and order an other one, hoping that it will be better.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member