• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Conditioner

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
2 questions.

1) should conditioner be put on before, or after (or both) the polish/crea.

2) can one use too much conditioner. I know one can never really polish their shoes too often, but is this the same with conditioner?

GentlemanGeorge

Reaction score
My understanding, and it makes perfect sense, is to put conditioner on before the polish and giving it time to absorb. I suppose it's theoretically possible to overdo it, especially if your conditioner includes a cleaning solvent, but in practice it's hard to imagine that you would. A general rule is to condition when the leather "looks scuffed". Over-oiling can bloat and soften the fibers, loosening their bonds. Leather needs to breathe.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just remember not to apply them too much or too often.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
I know one can never really polish their shoes too often, but is this the same with conditioner?

You can polish your shoes too often, leading to the dreaded "waxy build-up".

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was introduced to leather conditioner, I was told to use it every six months. That's plenty.

GanglandDandy

Reaction score
1) Before.

2) Yes, it is possible to use too much leather conditioner. You can usually tell when you're using too much when the leather darkens significantly.

emc894

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
You can polish your shoes too often, leading to the dreaded "waxy build-up".

Oh Porterhouse, look at the wax build up on these shoes I want that wax stripped off there, then I want them creamed and buffed with a fine chamois, and I want them now. Chop chop.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
SO let's say I'm cleaning the shoe with a light mixture of alcohol and water, I condition after this right? And then polish?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
SO let's say I'm cleaning the shoe with a light mixture of alcohol and water, I condition after this right? And then polish?

Alcohol? This will strip the dye from the shoes, no?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I generally use Saphir Renovateur on my shoes about once every week or two. It is great, and really only does good. On some shoes I just use Renovateur (i.e. the ones I don't want to be shiny).

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewjonesss