• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laundering Shirts

UK2004

Reaction score
My partner has taken over washing my shirts for a while, don't have anywhere local after moving from London that I trust to wash my shirts. She hasn't got the process running great yet. Do people just select cold or delicate wash, what detergents are people using? I have a variety of shirts with delicate shirtings and for years things have been washed and ironed well without sudden crazy shrinkage or button breaking like some of the services in London caused.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Machine wash cold. Hang dry until damp. (Or if you’re in a time crunch like I usually am, tumble dry low until damp). Press.

I use products from The Laundress. I pretreat by getting the collar and cuffs (and any unique stains if they pop up) damp and then using the stain bar and a soft toothbrush. Whites detergent for white shirts, classic detergent for my blues. https://www.thelaundress.com/collections/detergents-fabric-care

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the local shirt laundry. I have many high end shirts: T &A, H&K, Finamore,
Drakes, etc. Sometimes the collar is not perfect. Otherwise shirts are done well,
some of which are over 15 years old and still look good. I guess I am lucky, or
wear very forgiving shirts.

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
I use products from The Laundress. I pretreat by getting the collar and cuffs (and any unique stains if they pop up) damp and then using the stain bar and a soft toothbrush.

I second their products, they really do work well, and they are readily available in London, paired with a good detergent, you get 99% of staining out even if you can only wash it cold

as for shirts, I only give them to the dry cleaner for peculiar stains (jus on a tux shirt), otherwise, everything (except for silk blends) gets thrown into the washer according to the care label, from Zegna, Cucinelli, Finamore, Borrelli, Cordone, (Stenströms in the past) and a myriad of custom ones have all held up very well so far, some up to ten years

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I soak them in wash-basin full of cold/lukewarm water with any detergent for sensitive/baby skin added. Let them soaked for one or more hours and then rinse them in cold water. Hang dry. I press them when they are still damp or spray them with water to make them damp again before pressing.

pablum

Reaction score
Assuming they are cotton or linen, machine wash quick cycle, high spin, with warm water and a good quality detergent (pre-treat stains/problem areas). If they are white shirts, switch to hot water and add some sodium percarbonate.

I see many people suggest cold water, however in my experience cold water has never formed they same quantity and quality of suds (including cold-water detergents). In most machines when you select a water temperature, it only applies to the washing phase, the rinse phase is always done with cold water. Shrinkage has never been an issue.

Hang dry and iron when damp

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the summer (sweat season) I soak shirts in a tub of water with a glug of ammonia, which helps release sweat odors and prevent underarm/collar stains. I scrub the underarms with a bar of Marseille soap and a soft brush, then leave it all overnight in that soapy-ammonia bath.

So far that’s all classic Grandma stuff. Now we have oxy powders and liquids to help, which I also use—powder in the wash and liquid to pre-treat really stubborn stains like on the fold of French cuffs. (Omino Bianco is the brand here in Italy.)

I wash white shirts HOT (60C) and colored shirts at 30C. Cold water doesn’t get men’s shirts clean, I don’t care what the detergent claims. It’s strictly for woolen knitwear that isn’t worn against the skin.

Almost no one has a dryer here, everything is line dried under the Tuscan sun, so to speak.

I do my own ironing, which is also how you can tell if the shirts are clean: If you smell sweat when steam ironing the underarms, it’s back to the soaking tub and the Marseille soap. I use spray starch only on linen shirts, which helps them wrinkle less quickly.

Last edited:

joshuagb

Reaction score
This is pretty much the holy book on this topic:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WE have a reliable cleaners nearby so I just send my shirts in for laundering and pressing. Sometimes the light blue dress shirts show collar stains, especially in the sticky summers. The night before I send them in I'll scrub the collar stains with Laundress soap bar and also maybe use baking soda if the stain is bad. Let dry overnight then off to cleaners.

lullemans72

Reaction score
FWIW, I live in Japan, and the water here is usually always cold. I usually wash my shirts after every wear, but I always turn them inside out and ALWAYS use a washing net. I have yet to have any shirts that are showing signs of falling apart, even if I've owned some shirts for nearly 5 years, and I think the washing net has a lot to do with it.

For the dirt and grime around the collar, I usually use special detergents readily available in supermarkets which I apply to the dirty areas and leave for about 5 minutes before tossing in the washing machine. If I have any shirts that are excessively dirty around those areas, I will use Oxiclean which does what it does really well. I will put the shirt in question in a basin of hot water with a cap full of Oxiclean, leave it there for 30 minutes to an hour, and then wash as usual. It has been able to remove almost all of the collar and pit stains on my shirts which I'm really happy about. Also, I only wear non-iron shirts. Even with those, it's still advised that you give them a light bit of ironing to make them look nice and crisp, but I don't do that and my shirts still look almost wrinkle free.

Lastly, I've brought my shirts to the dry cleaner's in the past, but I found that the collars on some of my shirts have shrunk afterwards, making it more difficult for me to close the collar button. So I tend to stick to washing all my shirts like the above nowadays.

Last edited:

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
  1. Pre-treat collars and cuffs. Blue Dawn with colored shirts and whites with Clear Dawn. Dawn was used in Gulf oil spill on water fowl to remove oils.
  2. Separate colors from whites
  3. Turn textured fabrics inside out.
  4. Select gentle cycle / delicate
  5. Select cold / detergents today break down in cold water, where powders of the past only dissolved in hot water. Bubbles surely not relevant!
  6. Detergent with no additives and fragrance unless you want to smell like you just walked out of the Yankee Candle store.
  7. Remove from machine and hang on plastic hangers
  8. Straighten our as much you can especially front placard, collar and cuffs. Easier ironing.
  9. Iron VERY damp, almost dry if necessary. I alway. iron dry and use Linit concentrated starch (dilute as preferred ) when firmness is needed
  10. Repeat

TN001

Reaction score
Similar to others here, I wash on cold, delicate cycle, no special detergent. I do unbutton the collars on buttondown shirts because I read that there’s less tension on the collar during the wash process (and it does produce a better post wash collar), but I can’t help wondering if these benefits are offset by the constant buttoning and unbuttoning.

Enfusia

Reaction score
I too use the Laundress, their wash & stain bar is amazing. I've found that it gets out most collar and armpit sweat stains with ease.

I then use a hot water (edit= for white shirts, cold for colored) gentle wash with a high spin finish and then hang dry on wide shouldered wooden cedar hangers that have no finish (varnish etc.). I've found my shirts dry better on them.

I a m a HUGE fan of Sea Island cotton. The Barbados stuff is great, but there was an Egyptian grower that was insane. Trouble is, since the pandemic I can't find any. I was told he's no longer growing that strain and level of cotton and has gone bulk cotton. Read - heavy sigh....
That stuff was amazing!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads