• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large Quality Leather Messenger Type Bags for <$500

jd2010

Reaction score
I know that there are a billion threads on this, and I did search quite a bit, but I think my requirements are at least a little unique, so figured Id start thread # 4532.

Here we go:

1) Must be high quality leather that will last a decade or more with near daily use.
2) Must have a relatively timeless professional look that will still work many years from now.
3) Must be able to hold more than most bags I've found - a laptop, potentially a very small projector, tablet, external HD, cords for all these, chargers, pens/markers/etc, as well as a 2" binder or so worth of documents.
4) Must have shoulder strap and able to be carried comfortably.
5) Budget is <500 per bag.
6) Looking for both brown and black. Brown can obv be a little more casual looking than the black. Would like to be able to use brown for everything. Black will prob end up being almost strictly for work.

I am new to this game, so I don't really know what quality brands are, and who would make something that would fit my requirements.

Thanks in advance.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saddleback Leather is what you're looking for.

Their version of the messenger bag is simply called a thin briefcase and although it comes in different sizes (S-XL), it may be too thin if you're looking to fit a projector along with a laptop. Their classic briefcase on the other hand is wider and may be able to fit all the items you mentioned (also S-XL).

Here's a link to both:

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/130-briefcase-category

Dave, the owner of Saddleback, is a great guy and his products are built to last (who else has a 100 year warranty?). I own the thin briefcase (size large) in tobacco and absolutely love it. The only drawback that you consistently hear about these though is how heavy they are. The leather is very thick, the primary reason why they last so long. The classic briefcase will put you over your $500 mark by about $20-50 but it will literally be the last leather bag you'll ever need.

Only hard part is trying to decide on a color.

jd2010

Reaction score
Spot on what I was looking for. Thanks for the post.

For future posters, anything else like this that may be less expensive, maybe a little less heavy? If not, I'll pull the trigger on a couple of these babies.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

3) Must be able to hold more than most bags I've found - a laptop, potentially a very small projector, tablet, external HD, cords for all these, chargers, pens/markers/etc, as well as a 2" binder or so worth of documents.

That's 20 lbs of stuff in an 8 lb leather bag (Saddleback XL) carried on a shoulder strap..

Last edited:

jd2010

Reaction score
That's 20 lbs of stuff in an 8 lb leather bag (Saddleback XL) carried on a shoulder strap..

Laptop: 4 lbs
Projector: 2 lbs
tablet: 2 lbs
cords/chargers: 2 lbs
Misc/Documents: 2 lbs

Prob around 20 lbs, bag inclusive.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance