• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large metal watches with tailoring.

Sport watch with tailoring.

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't find the appeal of wearing a watch, I understand it's a statement piece, but at that point, I'd rather wear a bracelet.

Out of curiosity sakes, I have thought about buying a nice watch just to see what it's like, but having a few fashion designer watches and losing them....refrains me from doing so.

Watches is where I draw the line at, 'okay, I'm putting my wallet away, I don't see the point of spending x-amount for a nice statement piece. I rather buy x-home-furnishing I've been wanting.'

Does anyone else share this sentiment?

Digital watches aside (I'm Guessing)

Younger people do not really understand the point of having an antiquated analogue mechanical device strapped to your arm, and then also carrying a phone with enough computing power to get to the surface of Mars in your pocket!!!!

You are not alone, wristwatches are totally superfluous to modern living

It's kind of like owning a classic car

Cool, but obsolete technology

I have about five different watches, because I liked the "olden times" better

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was reading on another thread that the craze in NYC is to wear a watch over the shirt sleeve.

As for the topic at hand, I wear both dress and sport watch (not at the same time) with any and all outfits.
That said I wear a sport watch far more.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear both. If I’m wearing a suit and in a more formal environment (big meeting or something) I’m wearing a dress watch on a strap, but day to day (blazer/wool slacks) I wear an Omega Seamaster. Fits under a cuff just fine.

ERok32

Reaction score
I oftentimes wear a date just while in a suit. Also, try wearing a dress watch on a leather strap in hot and humid climates. Not an ideal choice if you’d like to preserve the life of said strap.

pkincy

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of a time some decades ago when I hosted something called the Champagne Jam in a large American city that was quite the event of the year for what was afterall a Disco crowd. A black tie event and the venue provided free champagne for the night. I had a good friend at the time that was as young as I was and at the beginning of his rather remarkable property owning career. We had hundreds of attendees, many that today would be called 'influencers' or 'celebrities' all in a proper tux and black tie. My friend wore his dinner jacket over a pair of blue jeans. Proper? No, but he had the savoir faire to bring it off without looking like he might wear sneakers with a suit. Nevertheless I always wore proper formal wear and anytime I sport a suit it will be with a relatively thin watch on a leather band.

aaamax

Reaction score
I'll wear any of my watches with any of my clothes. I particularly enjoy wearing my Red Sub with a dinner jacket. Because I can.

I'm with ya on that one. A vintage Red Sub is wearing the outfit, not you, if you know what I mean. What year is the Sub?
I would dress up a Milsub in a tuxedo because it deserves it.
Cheers

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody feel there is one watch design that covers all bases??
Any sport watch for me would need to be a diver. Beach, snorkel, and diving are my favorites. Nothing like a day of water sports then a night out on an island. At least I think that’s what prepandemic life used to be like.

Sub really answers the mail. Not many other watches than look good with tailoring and serve a functional purpose for sports. Thanks, Mr. Bond!

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t consider this a sport watch.

Based on its heritage it could be argued that it is. The visible screws and the case design are anything but austere.

However, swap out the metal bracelet for leather, and thanks to Cartier it’s a simple swap, and it could be worn as one.

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any sport watch for me would need to be a diver. Beach, snorkel, and diving are my favorites. Nothing like a day of water sports then a night out on an island. At least I think that’s what prepandemic life used to be like.

Sub really answers the mail. Not many other watches than look good with tailoring and serve a functional purpose for sports. Thanks, Mr. Bond!

I have three dive watches, a field watch and a dress watch. I would like something kind of different next I think ?

I like the idea of a restrained 40mm pilot watch with 100m water resistance maybe?

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A poll in which you called what you don’t like and which vast numbers of people routinely do “tacky.”

You conflate large watches (in modern terms), watches with metal bracelets, and sports watches.

The first are mostly ridiculous, as shown by the Sea Dweller above, the second a practical necessity for many in hot climates, the third includes everything from Timex Ironman watches to Royal Oaks.

Your lack of clarity gives some but not much cover to your bias, and may contribute to it.

Don't worry, nobody really takes any offence on SF, It's interesting to see other people's opinions and ideas

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A poll in which you called what you don’t like and which vast numbers of people routinely do “tacky.”

You conflate large watches (in modern terms), watches with metal bracelets, and sports watches.

The first are mostly ridiculous, as shown by the Sea Dweller above, the second a practical necessity for many in hot climates, the third includes everything from Timex Ironman watches to Royal Oaks.

Your lack of clarity gives some but not much cover to your bias, and may contribute to it.
I didn't vote on the poll due to the inaccurate first choice.
It was the pollsters opinion which is often the problem with polls.
It was essentially a push poll which serves only the pollster to get the result they want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads