• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kent Wang / Luca Faloni / G. Inglese polo shirt comparison.

pendragon

Reaction score
I recently spilt coffee on my trusty Kent Wang rubgy shirt, so decided to find a replacement, and thought I'd share the results.

I restricted my search to long sleeve, cotton, polo / rugby shirt of similar or better quality than KW, so I ignored the likes of J. Crew et al.

BB Golden Fleece & RLPL had contenders, but BB lost me with tennis tails, and RL wanted over $300. (And don't even get me started on the prices of LP and the rest of the Swankerati. I can buy a bottle of vintage Barolo and a cheap puttana for less than they charge!)

So. I ended up with one from Luca Faloni, and one from G. Inglese (via NMWA). Both pale blue, size 48/M. Here's how I thought they compare with KW:

Price: KW wins hands down. Followed by LF and then GI.

Size / fit: KW as any fule kno has to be upsized to an L. Once you do that, they are all within an inch of each other in any dimension. KW has longer sleeves (too long for me), followed by GI and then LF. Chest goes in the other direction GI, LF, KW. If you're okay with a trim fit, you'll be fine in any of them, but there's no room for shrinkage.

Fabric: KW is heavier, coarser knit, solid color. Plain, but hard wearing. LF is softer, finer and has a heathered blue coloring. GI is lighter although not softer, and has blue yarn knitted with white, which makes it a shade paler. You could wear either of the latter with a sports coat and look dressy enough for dinner. Not so much KW.

Buttons: All three are MOP. KW & LF are smaller in diameter & thick. GI are wider, but thinner. On close inspection, some of the LF buttons had slight flakes, as though they had only just passed quality control.

Style: They are all cutaway collars, three button plackets, with buttoning sleeves. There are slight variations between them (KW has the most cutaway collar; GI has mitered cuffs), but there's no better or worse.

Construction: Oy, what do I know from schmutter? Ask Shirtmaven.

Random notes: Customer service is personal from all three. LF & GI come in posh packaging, which is a nice touch for a gift.

Final thoughts: They are all high quality, good value, and hereby awarded the SF stamp of approval. If I had to sum it up, I guess I'd go sailing in the Kent Wang, and save the other two for the yacht club.

That being said, my personal favorite was the Luca Faloni.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice write up - Thanks!
Did you size up in the LF or go for a medium?

pendragon

Reaction score
Thought I'd give a quick update:

I don't dry clean anything except suits, so I put them in the wash. (Cold wash, low heat dry.)

The G. Inglese shrank so that it is now unwearable. And hence on B&S here: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/g-iglese-light-blue-cotton-pique-long-sleeve-polo-shirt.15919/

Apparently they have to be dry cleaned. Which seems ridiculous for a polo shirt. That's the last one I'll buy. (If you want to do so, I'd suggest going up two sizes.)

The Faloni survived. However, the placket has a lining, which means you have to iron it. In retrospect, I think I'd size up in this too.

KW. Boil it, bake it, no problem.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd give a quick update:

I don't dry clean anything except suits, so I put them in the wash. (Cold wash, low heat dry.)

The G. Inglese shrank so that it is now unwearable. And hence on B&S here: https://www.styleforum.net/buyandsell/g-iglese-light-blue-cotton-pique-long-sleeve-polo-shirt.15919/

Apparently they have to be dry cleaned. Which seems ridiculous for a polo shirt. That's the last one I'll buy. (If you want to do so, I'd suggest going up two sizes.)

The Faloni survived. However, the placket has a lining, which means you have to iron it. In retrospect, I think I'd size up in this too.

KW. Boil it, bake it, no problem.

Excellent write up, thank you.

So, if one were to size up in the G.Inglese to a 40, wash in cold and hang dry, it should shrink to a 39? I'm a 39 according to NMWA measurements.

Oh, and of course KW are sold out of black rugbys just when I want to pull the trigger :(

pendragon

Reaction score
To add to the comparison, I recently bought a Barba Napoli "Culto La Polo." White rather than blue. And this time in a size 41, which I think is a 16 in English. I am a big fan of Barba, having owned a bunch of their dress shirts over the years. They have never disappointed me, and didn't with the polo.

The fabric is a very soft pique cotton knit. A little difficult to compare with the others, being white not blue, but it's finer than KW, similar to LF/GI. The collar is small, cutaway, pretty similar to KW. Cuffs are rounded not mitred like GI (which just seem wrong to me on a polo.) Buttons are MOP and very nice, and don't seem to chip like LF. (Australian MOP perhaps?)

There is no lining in the placket, so no issues with washing / ironing like LF. On that subject, I deliberately bought it two sizes too big, to test my theory above. I threw it in the machine (cold wash / warm dry). After a couple of washes, it shrinks to a 39 / 15.5 with about a 33" sleeve. For me that's fine, because I find KW sleeves too long, and his shirts don't shrink.

Tirkkis

Reaction score
Just to confirm. I have been thinking about purchasing a polo from Luca Faloni but I have been wondering how the quality is.

This is one of the few posts about the brand on the forums and I noticed on your items for sale the mention that it would have shrunk quite a bit. Do you think it might be an issue related to using dryer or is there a risk that they always shrink?

I would also appreciate if you have experiences regarding their other offering such as shirts made from oxford fabric.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads