• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kanye West says people don't appreciate or understand him rant

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Kanye's Twitter even half as funny as 50cents? Lets see...

edit: Definitely just as stupid...but doesn't bring the lulz like 50 does.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ailing pop career? What the hell? The guy has headlined sold out festivals almost every week this past summer.

That stands to reason. There are many artists who no longer have major chart success, but they still have a large following, can headline at the summer festivals and still tour. I believe 'Kool and the Gang' was headlining at Glastonbury this year. When was the last time they where in the charts? ... 1986 I believe.

I was looking at Kanye's declining album sales.

Studio albums, US sales, in order of release:
The College Dropout - 3,135,000
Late Registration - 3,000,000
Graduation - 2,166,000
808s & Heartbreak - 1,630,000
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - 1,160,000

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_discography

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" :)

He's almost completely unheard off in China.

BTW I'm not hating, I actually like the guy's music. I'm just putting forward some reasons why he might be ranting so, 'publicity stunt'. Like not selling so many albums and singles that he once did, when he was at his peak.

Last edited:

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure he's making much more money now than before so album sales alone may not be that important.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That stands to reason. There are many artists who no longer have major chart success, but they still have a large following, can headline at the summer festivals and still tour. I believe 'Kool and the Gang' was headlining at Glastonbury this year. When was the last time they where in the charts? ... 1986 I believe.

Graduation - 2,166,000

Hmmm, something which has been out for nearly a decade has sold more than something that has been out for about a year. Who'da thunk it. You're talking about volume here, which is at least partly a function of time.

You'd be better off doing a comparison like "time spent in the top 20" or something like that.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Graduation - 2,166,000

He's almost completely unheard off in China.

BTW I'm not hating, I actually like the guy's music. I'm just putting forward some reasons why he might be ranting so, 'publicity stunt'. Like not selling so many albums and singles that he once did, when he was at his peak.

Numbers don't lie, but neither do they tell the whole story.

If you view these sales numbers in the context of the entire music industry, the narrative changes.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, times are a changin'

Do album sales include digital copies sold?

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do torrents count in overall sales?

Last edited:

dragonxking

Reaction score
anyone who knows the music industry knows that album sales aren't an accurate measure of success
how else would dr. dre, snoop dogg, and birdman make it on the list of forbes hip hop top 10 this year without any of them putting out a platinum album
kanye's declining album sales has more to do with the state of the music industry

Elusive

Reaction score
Kanye is one of those artists that needs to be liked he has reached stardom, spent money had the bling and realised he is still empty inside what this man doen not understand is you get what you give and love is a very special thing that cant be bought no matter how wealthy you are

Duff_Man

Reaction score

Kanye is one of those artists that needs to be liked he has reached stardom, spent money had the bling and realised he is still empty inside what this man doen not understand is you get what you give and love is a very special thing that cant be bought no matter how wealthy you are

Cosmic.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kanye's declining album sales has more to do with the state of the music industry

They're not even necessarily declining. Of course something that has been out for 8 years is gonna have more TOTAL units sold than something been out for 1 year. better off doing "sales per 1st month of release" or something.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads