• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do these fit vs Rugby or Gant Hugger fits? I was thinking about Tokyo Slim Fit in 14 1/2 or 15, but the chest size on the website says 32" for 14 1/2, that seems tiny, unless they are measuring a different way or if I am supposed to use the 40" chest size to the left?

http://kamakurashirts.com/styleguide/

I suggest you to check the Cm sizechart, http://kamakurashirts.com/contents/styleguide/
The sizechart in inches isn't so reliable.

I am a 15.5/M in Rugby and I am a 16 in Tokyo Slim Fit, I tried also the 15 3/4-33 but I prefer the 16-33.5, longer arms and a bit more comfortable with sportcoats
However a 15 3/4 works too, perfect to be worn more fitted with rolled up sleeves, unfortunately it comes only with 33 sleeve and they are a tad short for me.

Chest an shoulders fit in the 15 3/4 is very similar to Rugby M but the waist is more tapered.

Talking of the Vintage Ivy, a NY size M is definitely more slimmer than Rugby M, I went with the Tokyo L and it fits very nice.

Hope this help.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I suggest you to check the Cm sizechart, the sizechart in inches isn't so reliable.

I am a 15.5/M in Rugby and I am a 16 in Tokyo Slim Fit, I tried also the 15 3/4-33 but I prefer the 16-33.5, longer arms and a bit more comfortable.

Talking of the Vintage Ivy, a NY size M is definitely slimmer than Rugby M, I went with the Tokyo L and it fits very nice.

Hope this help.

Thanks, I think I'll try the 15 in Tokyo Slim Fit then.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For sizing it is suggested to measure a well fitting shirt in CM and use the size chart provided by Kamakura to find your size

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For NYC folks, Kamakura had an amazing deal today! Not sure how long it runs. Spend over $100 and get a cashmere scarf (reg. price $100) for free! Got the chambray shirt ($79) and a pocket square ($30) to get over $100 and got a scarf for my wife for xmas for free.

They posted this on Twitter 11 hours ago

OUR NEW YORK STORE is STILL giving customers who purchase over $100 a cashmere scarf. Hurry while stocks last!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I am looking for white shirt with spread collar... something that is more dressy and formal.
Confused with the materials...which one should I get?

Pinpoint Oxford

Dobby

Royal Oxford

Broadcloth

Kersey

They all look the same to me!

If you click on the picture of the front of the shirt (where you can just see a bit of the placket and a bit of the collar) it will enlarge and you will be able to get an idea of the weave.

I would say that broadcloth and pinpoint oxford would be the most dressy and formal, as they have the finest weaves of the cloths mentioned above. Then would come royal oxford, then kersey and dobby.

Both of the latter have visible, almost patterned weaves which I don't really find appealing and which I think certainly detracts from the dressiness or formality of the shirts.

Anyway, have a look at the close-up fabric photos for each shirt and you'll have a better idea.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone purchased the Vintage Ivy? I was wondering which would go better with jeans? Probably the white...

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have both, and both work great with jeans, the white slightly more dressy (if u can call denim dressy).
Thanks. How's the quality? What other manufacturers compare?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spex

Reaction score

Has anyone purchased the Vintage Ivy? I was wondering which would go better with jeans? Probably the white...

I have the indigo chambray. I love it, but I think with denim jean pants it might start moving towards a Canadian tuxedo...

Muri

Reaction score
I bought an indigo chambray shirt and a blue oxford button down on Friday. They threw in a free cashmere scarf and a small Japanese hand towel which was great. I bought the size they recommended for me in store but I'm a bit worried the neck will be too tight after I wash it.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought an indigo chambray shirt and a blue oxford button down on Friday. They threw in a free cashmere scarf and a small Japanese hand towel which was great. I bought the size they recommended for me in store but I'm a bit worried the neck will be too tight after I wash it. 
What!?!?! Were they running a special promotion? Or did you just get it for your first order? Which shirt did you get? Link please.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads