• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spex

Reaction score
I don't check this thread (or SF in general) that often anymore. I'm glad I caught wind of this sale, since NY Slim is my fit and I haven't had the chance to order things from Japan for a while. Managed to scoop up my first knit shirt from Kamakura, a cashmere blend shirt and a Sciolto one-piece collar for $100 total. Kinda excited.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time Kamakura lurker. Finally bought a few shirts that arrived today via the pre-Black Friday Sale. Is it just me, or are the collars on their cutaways on the tiny side? Maybe I'm just used to shirt with a little more collar presence.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time Kamakura lurker. Finally bought a few shirts that arrived today via the pre-Black Friday Sale. Is it just me, or are the collars on their cutaways on the tiny side? Maybe I'm just used to shirt with a little more collar presence.

Smalller than most other brands. I love KK shirts, but for spread collars I will need to wear under a suit lapel (with a tie and buttoned) they sometimes aren't large enough to rest under the lapels.

I mainly stick to their button-down collars for this reason.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smalller than most other brands. I love KK shirts, but for spread collars I will need to wear under a suit lapel (with a tie and buttoned) they sometimes aren't large enough to rest under the lapels.

I mainly stick to their button-down collars for this reason.
Duly noted. Wish I had known this before diving in. It’s not that they don’t reach under the lapel; they just barely do. I just wish the collar had more of a presence. Live and learn. I’ve heard their BDs are legendary for their rolls.

Spex

Reaction score
All three of the shirts I.bought had wider spread collars, the first of my Kamakura shirts to have them. I don’t find them to be terrible, but I think I still prefer my Eton shirt collars.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Checked out the store in NYC five years ago.
Thought the collar points were too short.
Apparently, they still are.

Allen22

Reaction score
Could somebody point me out on the page with the actual size chart? Couldn't find it on the new site.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could somebody point me out on the page with the actual size chart? Couldn't find it on the new site.

This one?

Megakurth

Reaction score
I bought 5 MTM Palpa easy care twill shirts a few months back and have been very impressed with how they wear as well as the easy maintenance (cold wash and throw on a hanger). I find the blend wears softer and much cooler than traditional non-iron treated cotton.

Jay.C

Reaction score
Ordered some shirts back in the pre-black friday sale. The most impressive product was the cashmere blend shirt. It was super soft and had no wool itchy feel. I also have some other fine cashmere/ cashmere blend products from Sunspel or John Smedley. But those still somewhat itchy for me. My first thought was "Damn, I should've bought more of this thing" So I ordered some more shirts in the Black Friday weekend. Looking forward to receive those shirts.

c0ldfusion

Reaction score
Ordered some shirts back in the pre-black friday sale. The most impressive product was the cashmere blend shirt. It was super soft and had no wool itchy feel. I also have some other fine cashmere/ cashmere blend products from Sunspel or John Smedley. But those still somewhat itchy for me. My first thought was "Damn, I should've bought more of this thing" So I ordered some more shirts in the Black Friday weekend. Looking forward to receive those shirts.
Yeah they're great! I bought some retail before the NYC store shutdown.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had a MTM appointment with Junko of Kamakura yesterday in Los Angeles. They have been travelling around and offering fitting appointments coming out of the pandemic, and since the New York shop closed.

I was delighted. Junko was very responsive; we were able to develop solutions to refine my current fit (longtime Kamakura customer here):

-I really like the brand, and their OCBD’s. Once they went to specific collar and sleeve length sizing (16-34) I had just one big fit issue. I like a slim fit. The Tokyo fit provided that through the torso but was slightly tight in the chest. Junko added 4 cm to the chest of their Tokyo fit. That should solve it.

-I always wear my OCBD’s tucked. The tails would often loosen or come out, destroying the benefits of a good fit. We are lengthening the tails.

-I like relatively snug cuffs, but occasionally wear a 40-41 mm sports watch. She adjusted the width of the cuff on my watch wearing arm, which should allow the watch to consistently fit back under the shirtsleeve.

Remarkably, they have no minimum first order size after the fitting. I ordered two to start to see if any additional dialing in was necessary. They have a lot of styles and fabrics available in their MTM program.

Given the above, with the in person fitting, I find the value in their MTM program to be extraordinary, with prices starting at $135 vs. about $99 for their comparable OTR.

I will report back once I get the shirts.

I don’t know their upcoming or future market visit schedule or plans. For fans of the brand, I would suggest getting on their mailing list to be advised of future trips, if you feel that you might benefit from a MTM fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads