• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

just lost weight and trying to get good fitting shirts

samnc

Reaction score
I recently dropped 30 lbs and I am trying to get clothes that fit. I think I finally have everything nailed down, but I have some questions, in order of importance. I am an attorney, am 34 years old, am 6 feet tall, 180 lbs, 34" W; 42" C; 15"N; 34" sleeve.

1. I am debating whether my slim fit shirts are too tight or not. They have give to them, and I can certainly pull about 2-3 inches from the chest and waist from them, but they are a bit tight (snug?) in the shoulders and chest. Are they supposed to fit a bit snug? How can I tell if it fits too tight? My old shirts (regular fit) had the parachute kind of fit around the waist. The shirts I have fit great around the waist, but dont have as much give in the chest, especially a few inches above my ribs. However, as stated above, I can pull at least 2 and probably three inches of fabric off me, but when I let go, it snugly goes back to my body. I can cross my arms in the front easily, BUT if I do something kind of like a weight machine row exercise in the shirt, it is too tight. Does it seem OK from what you hear so far? I know it is hard to fully tell from just words.

2. My grandfather always told me that the sports coat/jacket should hit the base of the thumb. This seems too long! However, photos I see of jackets and shirts have the jacket shorter than the shirt...when I wear the jacket, it is longer than the shirt, and when I put my arms all the way down, it hits slightly above the thumb, meaning I dont see the shirt around the wrist. What is the correct legnth?

3. I am six feet even...should I wear "long" sports coat or regular? I have always worn "long"

4. any rules when to wear brown v. black shoes?

5. I dont want to get too creative with socks...navy socks work with everything, right?

6. I am having a terrible time finding dress shirts that fit me. So far, the only luck I have had is with the Lands End Tailored Fit 15"N/34"sleeve. I wanted to get into some Nordstroms shirts, but the tailored fit ones are too tight and the regular ones parachute out on me...is something wrong with how I am built, or have I had a bad run of shirts before? So far, the Lands End shirts seem OK, but see #1 for confirmation that they are not too tight.

7. Are my body proportions condusive to off the rack clothes? It seems like my neck is too small for my chest and my sleeves are too long (34") for alot of 15" necks...am I an unusual size?

thanks!!

samnc

Reaction score
I am at work now and want to make a few observations about my shirt:

1. I can do the "row" I originally said I can't do...easily in fact.

2. the shirt feels tightest right around the armholes. Why thoughts on why?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I am debating whether my slim fit shirts are too tight or not. BUT if I do something kind of like a weight machine row exercise in the shirt, it is too tight. Personal preference really. Fitted is in the eye of the beholder. Some like shirts snug everywhere, some like a little bit of play but still tapered proportions. There is no right or wrong answer. Why are you doing workouts in your dress shirts?

2. My grandfather always told me that the sports coat/jacket should hit the base of the thumb.  This seems too long!  However, photos I see of jackets and shirts have the jacket shorter than the shirt...when I wear the jacket, it is longer than the shirt, and when I put my arms all the way down, it hits slightly above the thumb, meaning I dont see the shirt around the wrist.  What is the correct legnth? I believe he's referring to the JACKET length, not sleeve. One approach is to have the jacket hit at the point where you cup your hands. That would be about your thumb. Sleeves should be just shorter than your shirt sleeves, to show a quarter or half inch of cuff.

3. I am six feet even...should I wear "long" sports coat or regular?  I have always worn "long" Regular

4. any rules when to wear brown v. black shoes? Don't wear brown with black or vice versa. Wear brown with anything else.

6. I am having a terrible time finding dress shirts that fit me.  So far, the only luck I have had is with the Lands End Tailored Fit 15"N/34"sleeve.  I wanted to get into some Nordstroms shirts, but the tailored fit ones are too tight and the regular ones parachute out on me...is something wrong with how I am built, or have I had a bad run of shirts before?  So far, the Lands End shirts seem OK, but see #1 for confirmation that they are not too tight. After trying 2 shirts you think you're goofy build? eh ok. Go to this thread, research then buy.

7. Are my body proportions condusive to off the rack clothes? It seems like my neck is too small for my chest and my sleeves are too long (34") for alot of 15" necks...am I an unusual size? OTR is much more than those 4 measurements.

Last edited:

gandhi

Reaction score
1. If you have a 42" chest a slim fit dress shirt should be at lrast 45 and preferably 46". But it's also a matter of personal preference.

6-7. You don't sound like an unusual size, you are a pretty normal medium size. You have an 8" drop so you will probably need a tailor to take in the waist of most dress shirts but this is common for most people. Brooks Brothers has 4 different fits so start there.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
1. If you have a 42" chest a slim fit dress shirt should be at lrast 45 and preferably 46". But it's also a matter of personal preference.
6-7. You don't sound like an unusual size, you are a pretty normal medium size. You have an 8" drop so you will probably need a tailor to take in the waist of most dress shirts but this is common for most people. Brooks Brothers has 4 different fits so start there.
A 44' would fit fine, 4 extra inches might be baggy.

samnc

Reaction score
thanks. I did try on more than two dress shirts, by the way....tried on about 5 or 6 different brands and different sizes. The Lands End I currently have seems to fit well, but a bit snugger than what I was used to, which was probably too baggy to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member