• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cisipphone

Reaction score
If I were you I'd start by buying a few shirts and seeing what works for you. There are two main categories or tees that JE sells, Mainline and seasonal. The website does not do a great job of discriminating the two currently.

Mainline tees: these are generally slim fitting shirts with elongated hems made for layering. They are generally made from a supima cotton & poly blend, which means they are incredibly soft. They occasionally are made in a comix fabric which is tight weave cotton, very beautiful, fits slimmer, but a little thick so can get hot in the summer. Currently there are three mainline shirts available, as listed below
1. Classic crew: a classic crew neck, slim fitting tee. Elongated length for layering, but the shortest of the mainline tees
2. Mercer tee: a slim fitting crew neck shirt with a elongated split hem. The back is made longer than the front.
3. U neck: slim fit. neck line is in between a v neck and a crew neck (not really describing it well). The neck line plunges down a bit so you can show off more of your chest. It has a elongated curved hem.

A "newer" mainline shirt is the classic curve & the anti expo
4. Classic curve: crew neck with a curved hem. Slim fit. Think classic crew + u neck. Probably my favorite shirt.
5. Anti- expo: a crew neck shirt with unfinished hems that curl up over time. This shirt fits oversized (os). If you want it to be slim fitting I suggest sizing down. Also the front is ever so slightly longer than the back. (JE Tidbit: there used to be an expo tee that had a standard front with a longer back, this is the opposite of that, now with raw edges) Generally made from a 100% recycled cotton, so not as soft as the shirts mentioned above.

There are also the seasonal tees, these are oversized (OS) and technically cropped (in reality they are regular length). This includes, but is not limited to, OS shirt, OS pocket crew, mock neck tee, etc. These are generally made of 100% cotton. These are technically more geared to what is "in fashion" now. I could go through these but the names on the website are pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

that's super helpful. will start with the basics and see what works. mercer tee and classic curve look good.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The DOHA stuff looks pretty trash

It's surprised they took some restraint to the items, only splashing them with speckles on one side and with embroidery on one side. I think they would have looked better with the paint splatter everywhere. I like that they stuck to only one color of paint as well. But yes, still a pass

bbconair

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were you I'd start by buying a few shirts and seeing what works for you. There are two main categories or tees that JE sells, Mainline and seasonal. The website does not do a great job of discriminating the two currently.

Mainline tees: these are generally slim fitting shirts with elongated hems made for layering. They are generally made from a supima cotton & poly blend, which means they are incredibly soft. They occasionally are made in a comix fabric which is tight weave cotton, very beautiful, fits slimmer, but a little thick so can get hot in the summer. Currently there are three mainline shirts available, as listed below
1. Classic crew: a classic crew neck, slim fitting tee. Elongated length for layering, but the shortest of the mainline tees
2. Mercer tee: a slim fitting crew neck shirt with a elongated split hem. The back is made longer than the front.
3. U neck: slim fit. neck line is in between a v neck and a crew neck (not really describing it well). The neck line plunges down a bit so you can show off more of your chest. It has a elongated curved hem.

A "newer" mainline shirt is the classic curve & the anti expo
4. Classic curve: crew neck with a curved hem. Slim fit. Think classic crew + u neck. Probably my favorite shirt.
5. Anti- expo: a crew neck shirt with unfinished hems that curl up over time. This shirt fits oversized (os). If you want it to be slim fitting I suggest sizing down. Also the front is ever so slightly longer than the back. (JE Tidbit: there used to be an expo tee that had a standard front with a longer back, this is the opposite of that, now with raw edges) Generally made from a 100% recycled cotton, so not as soft as the shirts mentioned above.

There are also the seasonal tees, these are oversized (OS) and technically cropped (in reality they are regular length). This includes, but is not limited to, OS shirt, OS pocket crew, mock neck tee, etc. These are generally made of 100% cotton. These are technically more geared to what is "in fashion" now. I could go through these but the names on the website are pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps.

bro - you should write a book or guide to JE. that's so helpful, even for regulars! haha. i just went through the JE website - realize there's a significant lack of long-sleeved tees...those are all the best.

Lloydham

Reaction score
I actually kinda love the Doha Thumper but it has consistent splatter and no weird random embroidery. not feeling any of this other stuff that does.

Hey @Jbidwal, Random as hell but any chance you have any Rag & Bone Fit 1 jeans? I know a number of guys here are fans like me. I'm wondering because I don't have any JE denim but I can't stop going back to those reverse indigo weft jeans you got. I have a disability I wont bore you with that causes chronic pain and when I wear pants that are remotely rigid the fit has to be very specific in order for me to not be in agony after 30 minutes. R&B Fit 1s have been my savior, for a couple years I only wore joggers because none of my jeans worked anymore. I am wondering how those specific Cast 2s fit and feel comparatively if you or anybody else has both.

Jbidwal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually kinda love the Doha Thumper but it has consistent splatter and no weird random embroidery. not feeling any of this other stuff that does.

Hey @Jbidwal, Random as hell but any chance you have any Rag & Bone Fit 1 jeans? I know a number of guys here are fans like me. I'm wondering because I don't have any JE denim but I can't stop going back to those reverse indigo weft jeans you got. I have a disability I wont bore you with that causes chronic pain and when I wear pants that are remotely rigid the fit has to be very specific in order for me to not be in agony after 30 minutes. R&B Fit 1s have been my savior, for a couple years I only wore joggers because none of my jeans worked anymore. I am wondering how those specific Cast 2s fit and feel comparatively if you or anybody else has both.

Sorry I don't own any rag and bone. I have slp and acne pairs if those are any help. The reverse weft aren't rigid at all. I find them to be super stretchy

Bimmer93

Reaction score
So this collection is "Watching Water" - does that water happen to be next to a rogue can of spray paint? Really tired of everything having splatters, speckles etc. Who buys this ****?

timofay

Reaction score
Just picked up the alpine parachute jacket @ revolve. saw the aluminum flight jacket for $180ish in Large on saks too

Last edited:

Lloydham

Reaction score
Thank @Jbidwal, I don't have any of those but super stretchy is right up my ally. I might order them and try them, now to search back a few weeks and figure out my sizing in JE from the posts of the guys who do have Fit 1s and Cast 2s.

@timofay

Got the Aluminum jacket for 238 from Saks. Wish I had waited a few weeks cause 194 now and they have my size but I am very happy with it. It's not as stiff as one might think and it's just really unique. My current favorite jacket actually.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank @Jbidwal, I don't have any of those but super stretchy is right up my ally. I might order them and try them, now to search back a few weeks and figure out my sizing in JE from the posts of the guys who do have Fit 1s and Cast 2s.

@timofay

Got the Aluminum jacket for 238 from Saks. Wish I had waited a few weeks cause 194 now and they have my size but I am very happy with it. It's not as stiff as one might think and it's just really unique. My current favorite jacket actually.

I'm a 29 in JE and a 30 in RB
If you have a tap measure, measure your rb and compare it to the JE size guide

Last edited:

grantmason6882

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's pretty cool IMO, I don't really understand the pricing though...
I think the reason they're charging more is because they're using Japanse cotton for the shirts and terry. Some people commented about the skittles hoodies & shirts feeling a bit thicker and whatnot; also I think Nobu or JE posted a while back about the different varieties of cotton they use in their products. Not trying to Sherlock this out, but just my guess.

leclutchjames

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably because the stupid stitching
1f602.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads