• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

royizzle

Reaction score
I'm sure this can be repaired, have you tried taking it to a tailor?
2015 holidays going into 2016.. but yeah, I literally babied this hoodie. A hoodie costing this much should not be ripping like this after one year. Pretty sure it's a defect, like I said I own several John Elliott hoodies that I wear more. But John Elliott's response was pretty awful.

srizvi722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^eh ish happens sometimes. Everything can't be perfect. I'd be bummed out too. But what can you do. It has been a year since purchase, so you can't really expect a company to do anything about that--if they did, they'd end up like Apple replacing everyone's hoodies as long as it fell within a 12 month period from date of sale. The best thing to do if you don't want to take it to a tailor is maybe to sell it online to someone who doesn't mind doing that, and use that money towards a replacement one. You wouldn't be in that much of a loss.
Still think JE has the greatest CS I've come across.

And in re to the new colors, it is great JE is coming out with variety, experimenting new colors and all. Just not for me
I killed my oak yesterday. Thing is a stain magnet, I can never do lighter colors without making a mess out of it.

Last edited:

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^eh ish happens sometimes. Everything can't be perfect. I'd be bummed out too. But what can you do. It has been a year since purchase, so you can't really expect a company to do anything about that--if they did, they'd end up like Apple replacing everyone's hoodies as long as it fell within a 12 month period from date of sale. The best thing to do if you don't want to take it to a tailor is maybe to sell it online to someone who doesn't mind doing that, and use that money towards a replacement one. You wouldn't be in that much of a loss.
Still think JE has the greatest CS I've come across.

And in re to the new colors, it is great JE is coming out with variety, experimenting new colors and all. Just not for me
I killed my oak yesterday. Thing is a stain magnet, I can never do lighter washes without making a mess out of it.

What'd you get on it? If it's oil try lestoil. My wife always gets oil on her silk stuff and it works wonders.

Mackp12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2015 holidays going into 2016.. but yeah, I literally babied this hoodie. A hoodie costing this much should not be ripping like this after one year. Pretty sure it's a defect, like I said I own several John Elliott hoodies that I wear more. But John Elliott's response was pretty awful.
ahhhh that sucks man. Honestly not many companies will do anything for you after a year of wear and tear no matter how much you claim you babied it. On the bright side that will be a cheap and easy fix for the tailor

royizzle

Reaction score
Definitely agree with everyone, but damn.. I got nike hoodies that I have totally abused and still going strong. Can't believe the stitching on these are already ripped. Probably my last buy of John Elliott. Very overrated.

Bimmer93

Reaction score
Unbelievable horrific response from John Elliott after seeing this on my John Elliott Hooded Villain Hoodie (pictures below). In essence, bought this Hoodie just last year around the holidays. I mean I treated this Hoodie with absolute care, only washed on delicate, and ONLY hang dried. They say this is from normal wear, however I have two other John Elliott hoodies I've worn even more. Basically said that they could not do anything and apologized. Well, there goes $198.00 + to the drain.

Never understand why people can wear jeans with holes in the knees and rips all up and down, but get worked up over a hole in a shirt. Chalk it up as character.

marcus-chi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never understand why people can wear jeans with holes in the knees and rips all up and down, but get worked up over a hole in a shirt.  Chalk it up as character.  

Or just get it stitched for $10. It's really not a big deal. The logic that someone expects a company to compensate for a year old hoody because it ripped at the seam is beyond crazy to me. JE stanning aside.

optimaasprime

Reaction score
JE overrated?
1f914.png

Still have my villain from 2012.. still going strong... no holes in my crew necks from 2012 either.

*edit*
Forgot to add my Merced tanks... all of those get warm washed and dried.

Last edited:

shoewizz

Reaction score
the problem with royizzle's hoodie is easy to fix, but are you guys all really standing around excusing bad quality control? Okay it didnt happen to your hoodie. I dont necessarily think JE should replace his hoodie, but there is no reason we shouldnt expect more of them for the price.

I have escobar sweats and a mercer tank from 2014 that had the same problem. Developed holes at the seam VERY quickly. I hand wash and air dry.

I chalked the mercer up to frequent handling at the side seam when adjusting my fit. But there was no excuse for the escobars.

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the problem with royizzle's hoodie is easy to fix, but are you guys all really standing around excusing bad quality control? Okay it didnt happen to your hoodie. I dont necessarily think JE should replace his hoodie, but there is no reason we shouldnt expect more of them for the price.

I have escobar sweats and a mercer tank from 2014 that had the same problem. Developed holes at the seam VERY quickly. I hand wash and air dry. 

I chalked the mercer up to frequent handling at the side seam when adjusting my fit. But there was no excuse for the escobars.

We have this conversation every 2 months. If you don't think they make quality products, stop buying from them. Can we move on now?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads