• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

optimaasprime

Reaction score
Denims stretches really good. My nimbus is great I could of sized down 1 on the waist. But went TTS cause my soccer legs. You have to wear them more than once before reviewing I think lol.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
does anybody have a phone # for john elliott + co or Gray Vision LLC who does their shipping?

I had 2 packages scheduled to be delivered today (1 John Elliott and 1 other company) and I accidentally goofed and requested the JE+Co one to be held at a UPS facility when I meant to do it to the other package. It's on the truck for delivery but UPS can't reverse it as stupid as that is. They say I need to contact the shipper directly. What a pain **********.....

smokinginja

Reaction score
John Elliot + Co Denim Review

• Wash: The Cast in Coated Drake
  • Size: 33

http://shop.johnelliott.co/collections/denim/products/the-cast-coated-drake

I recently picked these denim up because they looked to be a nice gray wash, a staple for my wardrobe.

Due to the weather and ordering from NYC, it took a while to get shipped but today they finally arrived. The whole time during the wait I kept doubting the way I sized these as from other members it looked like people sized down or stayed TTS. I actually went up in tagged size albeit the provided measurements and ordered a size 33.

Trying them on these are definitely cut on a slimmer pattern for jeans, which is nice and I can appreciate but probably A) Cannot wear or B) Need to size up 1 more
I am 5'9 and 150 - 155 lbs. These particular jeans are very slim in the seat area, and hug my thighs.

The good:
  1. At first I was a bit turned off by how light weight the denim is (or material of the trousers). Then it really started growing on me as I do prefer more of a light weight bottom than previous predecessors i.e. raw denim. The lighter fabric allows the denim to drape nicely and stack well at the hem. I didn't bother trying them on with shoes but I can imagine pretty well that the taper combined with the inseam length and fabric would allow for optimal stacking.
  2. The wash or treatment of the trouser is great. It feels like a dirty kitchen table without the stickiness, but has enough feel in the texture to remind you of sandpaper. Just a nice overall texture when you touch it. I would not say the color is gray as it looks online but more of a dirty mint color probably due to the underside weave, which is a nice green color. Imagine camo and parkas
  3. I was never really a fan of button fly closures but given the slimness and lower rise, the button fly is great complement to the overall silhouette i.e. though the seat is slim on me and hugs my thighs it does not oddly bunch up or pull

The bad:
  1. I still think the fabric is a little light. I feel like I can tear it apart. It really is a spring-summer weight bottom FWIW. I cannot imagine someone sizing down on these and allowing the garment to stretch. I just feel like doing so would damage or even rip the fabric at the seams. Perhaps I am giving too little credit to JE + Co., so, I'll let them chime in on that i.e. how much stretch do their denim have.

I may consider sizing up. I actually ordered these pair as a measure to see how I should size in general since I am more interested in the wash seen online of the "Cast in Coast". Looks fantastic!

And if anyone knows for sure sizing up would help, please feel free to give me a PM. If anyone has a size 34 and can confirm some measurements that'd be awesome.
i also am looking for the cast/coast. this was a great review. thanks for adding so much detail. im not interested in this wash but enjoyed your review. the cast is a 12.5 oz so it should be heavier i would think

relaxandrawr

Reaction score
Denims stretches really good. My nimbus is great I could of sized down 1 on the waist. But went TTS cause my soccer legs. You have to wear them more than once before reviewing I think lol.
I don't see anything wrong with initial thoughts. A lot of people will have an initial reaction to when they first get their clothing. And typically that will determine whether or not they want to actually keep the clothing. The next step would be to have a follow up review, in however many months.

leclutchjames

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to make sure it's not just me, those with Escobar sweats, are the pockets kind of close? And do they kind of 'stay open'?

ChasusChrist

Reaction score
Great write up. I also have a pair of the coated drake as well as the drake. They are lighter than the denim because they are not "denim." They are are made from selvedge twill. Sorta like a khaki or chino pant. Both are still great to have in the wardrobe.

ChasusChrist

Reaction score

John Elliot + Co Denim Review

• Wash: The Cast in Coated Drake
  • Size: 33

http://shop.johnelliott.co/collections/denim/products/the-cast-coated-drake

I recently picked these denim up because they looked to be a nice gray wash, a staple for my wardrobe.

Due to the weather and ordering from NYC, it took a while to get shipped but today they finally arrived. The whole time during the wait I kept doubting the way I sized these as from other members it looked like people sized down or stayed TTS. I actually went up in tagged size albeit the provided measurements and ordered a size 33.

Trying them on these are definitely cut on a slimmer pattern for jeans, which is nice and I can appreciate but probably A) Cannot wear or B) Need to size up 1 more
I am 5'9 and 150 - 155 lbs. These particular jeans are very slim in the seat area, and hug my thighs.

The good:

1. At first I was a bit turned off by how light weight the denim is (or material of the trousers). Then it really started growing on me as I do prefer more of a light weight bottom than previous predecessors i.e. raw denim. The lighter fabric allows the denim to drape nicely and stack well at the hem. I didn't bother trying them on with shoes but I can imagine pretty well that the taper combined with the inseam length and fabric would allow for optimal stacking.
  2. The wash or treatment of the trouser is great. It feels like a dirty kitchen table without the stickiness, but has enough feel in the texture to remind you of sandpaper. Just a nice overall texture when you touch it. I would not say the color is gray as it looks online but more of a dirty mint color probably due to the underside weave, which is a nice green color. Imagine camo and parkas
  3. I was never really a fan of button fly closures but given the slimness and lower rise, the button fly is great complement to the overall silhouette i.e. though the seat is slim on me and hugs my thighs it does not oddly bunch up or pull

The bad:

1. I still think the fabric is a little light. I feel like I can tear it apart. It really is a spring-summer weight bottom FWIW. I cannot imagine someone sizing down on these and allowing the garment to stretch. I just feel like doing so would damage or even rip the fabric at the seams. Perhaps I am giving too little credit to JE + Co., so, I'll let them chime in on that i.e. how much stretch do their denim have.

I may consider sizing up. I actually ordered these pair as a measure to see how I should size in general since I am more interested in the wash seen online of the "Cast in Coast". Looks fantastic!

And if anyone knows for sure sizing up would help, please feel free to give me a PM. If anyone has a size 34 and can confirm some measurements that'd be awesome.

Great write up. I also have a pair of the coated drake as well as the drake. They are lighter than the denim because they are not "denim." They are are made from selvedge twill. Sorta like a khaki or chino pant. Both are still great to have in the wardrobe. P.S. I sized up as well. Great fit throughout but the waist is a just a tad bigger than to my liking.

smokinginja

Reaction score
just received my villain hoodie today. it is awesome. i already had the grey one in small and ordered the black in medium. i was unsure if i made the right decision. I'm 5'-8 and around 140-145. I'm very active and my size has always been between a small and medium. the grey fit me perfect and after i wore it it loosened up on me where it was very comfy. well now the black medium came in and it fits like the grey small after i wear it for a few hours. i love it and i love the fit. I'm happy with both and won't be returning either. ill be ordering mercer tanks soon enough.

HANCHO

Reaction score
Just received both pair of new Escobars.

Both of them had stitchings out already before even trying them on.. Pretty disappointed on both pairs that comes with high price tags. Couldn't take picture of grey one cause it was hard. Black one was easy to spot on.

optimaasprime

Reaction score

Just received both pair of new Escobars. Both of them had stitchings out already before even trying them on.. Pretty disappointed on both pairs that comes with high price tags. Couldn't take picture of grey one cause it was hard. Black one was easy to spot on.
Damn

dantatzai

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know the sizing on the quilted bomber jacket? If I wear a large in the villains, would I be the same size or should I size down to a medium since leather generally does stretch and the sleeves are leather? Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads