• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camel
Jet

Attachments

• A57149D5-EBA5-41AA-B8AA-2446036EE494.jpeg
    A57149D5-EBA5-41AA-B8AA-2446036EE494.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 57

PT2011

Reaction score
That’s definitely not true. The GSM to oz conversion depends on the size of the fabric. So if the GSM is high but the fabric used to make that measurement is huge the OZ will be small, but if the fabric is a small piece than the OZ will be high or something like that. I’m pretty sure the thousand pound hoodie is around 28oz.

It doesn't depend on the size of the fabric, because it's a weight per unit. It doesn't matter if you compare a 10x10cm piece of fabric to a 50x50 yard piece of fabric... the weight per unit will be the same.

575 GSM is approximately 17 oz per square yard.

I had to think back to my high school chemistry unit conversion..

(575 grams / 1M^2) * (1 oz / 28.3495 grams) * (1 M^2 / 1.19599 yd^2) = 16.95879 oz/yd^2

basically, you just divide the grams by 33.90572. I usually just use this converter (https://www.easycalculation.com/unit-conversion/fabric-weight-converter.php), but I did it by hand to see if i missed something.

Are they adding fleece to the french terry or something?

Mike did confirm that 26oz would be back, right? Im sitting on a $250 credit and based on what everyone has said, will continue to hold onto it until these are rereleased.

Hopefully in time to still appreciate them during the colder months...

During the black friday sale he said we'd get them again at some point.

Titothejawnman

Reaction score
Somewhat related but somewhat not:

I REALLY want a restock of the Trenton Straight Fit Chinos. I missed it the first time around. Would wear every day.

Also, do the Aime Leon Dore core chinos fit TTS? Did anyone cop? Im interested

thatsoutbro

Reaction score

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't depend on the size of the fabric, because it's a weight per unit. It doesn't matter if you compare a 10x10cm piece of fabric to a 50x50 yard piece of fabric... the weight per unit will be the same.

575 GSM is approximately 17 oz per square yard.

I had to think back to my high school chemistry unit conversion..

(575 grams / 1M^2) * (1 oz / 28.3495 grams) * (1 M^2 / 1.19599 yd^2) = 16.95879 oz/yd^2

basically, you just divide the grams by 33.90572. I usually just use this converter (https://www.easycalculation.com/unit-conversion/fabric-weight-converter.php), but I did it by hand to see if i missed something.

Are they adding fleece to the french terry or something?

During the black friday sale he said we'd get them again at some point.

If you’re referring to just the density measurements, you’re correct. In GSM (grams per square meter) or oz/yd2 (ounces per square yard) the size does not matter.

However, I think the confusion between the original poster, @nsubrmnn, and you is coming from people switching between two units of measurements.

In textiles, there’s the density measurement (GSM and oz/yd2) and linear measurement. When converting to linear ounces, the width of the fabric does matter. You’re calculating the weight of one linear yard of fabric. So for example, when you’re talking about the LA Sweats, the 26 ounce fleece terry measurement is a linear measurement.

To arrive at that measurement you’d take the oz/yd2 (density measurement) x fabric width/36= linear weight.

Last edited:

j023

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you’re referring to just the density measurements, you’re correct. In GSM (grams per square meter) or oz/yd2 (ounces per square yard) the size does not matter.

However, I think the confusion between the original poster, @nsubrmnn, and you is coming from people switching between two units of measurements.

In textiles, there’s the density measurement (GSM and oz/yd2) and linear measurement. When converting to linear ounces, the width of the fabric does matter. You’re calculating the weight of one linear yard of fabric. So for example, when you’re talking about the LA Sweats for example, the 26 ounce fleece terry measurement is a linear measurement.

To arrive at that measurement you’d take the oz/yd2 (density measurement) x fabric width/36= linear weight.

So what is 575 GSM then? Lol

wurlwyde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is 575 GSM then? Lol

It depends on the width (which comes from the cylinder it was knitted on and how it was processed in finishing). French/fleece terry generally comes in 58-60 width. There are wider goods as well, which are 64-66. Not knowing what machine it’s knitted on and how it’s finished, I can’t tell you exactly. But assuming it’s 58-60 inches it would be:

58”: 27.3 ounces (linear)
60”: 28.25 ounces (linear)

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on the width (which comes from the cylinder it was knitted on and how it was processed in finishing). French/fleece terry generally comes in 58-60 width. There are wider goods as well, which are 64-66. Not knowing what machine it’s knitted on and how it’s finished, I can’t tell you exactly. But assuming it’s 58-60 inches it would be:

58”: 27.3 ounces (linear)
60”: 28.25 ounces (linear)
Thank god Mr. worldwide aka pit bull follows this thread and stepped in to reiterate my initial claims.

Edeezus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat related but somewhat not:

I REALLY want a restock of the Trenton Straight Fit Chinos. I missed it the first time around. Would wear every day.

Also, do the Aime Leon Dore core chinos fit TTS? Did anyone cop? Im interested
Just curious on what makes you wanting these chinos?

PT2011

Reaction score

In textiles, there’s the density measurement (GSM and oz/yd2) and linear measurement. When converting to linear ounces, the width of the fabric does matter. You’re calculating the weight of one linear yard of fabric. So for example, when you’re talking about the LA Sweats, the 26 ounce fleece terry measurement is a linear measurement.

Ah, this "linear yard" concept is what went over my head... the fact that the unit of measure isn't a based on a true square yard (with length and width each being one yard). Thanks for explaining this. I always assumed that 26 oz weight was true oz per square yard.

Someone with the 26 oz sweats needs to cut a small chunk out and weigh it on their gram scale so we can do a proper comparison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads