• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atao

Reaction score
IMO if you like shoes you should wear them, there shouldn’t be a “when you’re done with them you can sell them for more than you paid”. If there is a likelihood that you’ll not like them in the near future and sell them, then did you really like them for the right reasons?
I would say yes because peoples style change or you get other stuff and things fall out of the rotation. I think that’s happened to everyone. 2 years ago for example I was really into Jordan 1’ s. And while they still are one of my favorite sneakers they didn’t fit my current style as much. But I knew that all that money I invested into Jordan 1s wasn’t a waste. I reinvested that money into other pieces that I have now. I’m not sayin you should wear sneakers once and flip them but for me anyway it’s nice to know the value is still there if I dont wear them anymore I’m able to get some of my money back for other things.

BigRed

Reaction score
I think he brought up a valid point. A lot of people just rocking fits with hype sneakers for the clout, not because they look cool or make the fit or demonstrate that you actually have taste or a sense of style.
At some point, and I think what John was referring to, is that you see the resale mark up on shoes and you think, “is it really worth it to pay this inflated price or should I buy something truly interesting with this money?”. I think people choose the former because it’s easy and they know they will get clout points. The problem is, when the hype has died down on those kicks, you’re left with a pair of $100 shoes you spent 5x over for that are mediocre, might as well invest in some Prada loafers like John or something a bit more interesting. This is how I feel these days, but also take what he said with grain of salt, he does now have expensive shoes he wants to sell you.

In my opinion I think it's mostly about the fact that he now sells $450 low key shoes that he wants people to buy in lieu of the hype sneakers. So I agree with your last point....

Csrulz16

Reaction score
I think you make some good points but I’m going to push back a little. I think there is a difference between people who are into sneakers and people into fashion. When I was a kid I was into sneakers I didn’t care what the fit looked like as long as a had a clean pair of sneakers on. It could have been a white tee and some Levi jeans. It didn’t matter to me because I was more into the sneakers then the outfit. As I got older I got more into the fashion of the outfit not just the sneakers. I kept some of the sneakers I really liked and sold the rest. After that I found JE and I liked it because I was able to do both. I was able to build I solid outfit still with the sneakers I loved.

“is it really worth it to pay this inflated price or should I buy something truly interesting with this money?” I would say absolutely if you like the sneakers because even if you pay over retail for them they either retain their value or go up in price. You can buy a pair of Netural Greys for $500 wear them, love them and when you are done sell them for close to what you paid for them or if the market goes up more then what you paid. Then reinvest that money into another pair you want. Designer high end sneakers just don’t retain their value compared to sneakers do. Even unhyped Jordan’s go up in price over time. I remember a couple of years ago a bunch of Jordan 13’s sat and went on sale today they are worth more then retail. I mean brand new common projects go for less then retail on Grailed. I think the same will happen to the JE sneakers when they become more available or more colors come out. It’s not a bad thing just the overall market isn’t as into designer footwear.

But at the end of the day everyone should just wear what they like. I mean fashion changes from person to person. Things you love the other person could hate and the other way around.
Wow reinvesting and retaining their value. It must be tough for you to get dressed in the morning. Do you check StockX before putting on your Dunks?

malcolmbw

Reaction score
I know it’s only a uni, but the drape on the organic grey is different to my other uni’s. Same size, just seems to flow more.

Acne
Uni
Stone Island
CP

Forgot all about those CPs, they look great here. How'd you size on them? I know sizing for the bball lows has changed over the years.

Atao

Reaction score
Wow reinvesting and retaining their value. It must be tough for you to get dressed in the morning. Do you check StockX before putting on your Dunks?
No not at all but when I don’t wear something anymore I get rid of it no sense in having it sit In my closest collecting dust. If I have a sneaker I don’t wear anymore i sell it and because it’s normally Jordan or Nike which is what I like I make my money back. It’s a smart thing to do. I’m not saying you should wear sneakers you don’t like to be cool. That’s dumb but if you like them, wear them, and over time you don’t wear them anymore then why would you let them sit in your closet. When that happens I sell them and reinvest that money into something I’ll exactly wear. I do the same thing with clothes.

Last edited:

Csrulz16

Reaction score
No not at all but when I don’t wear something anymore I get rid of it no sense in having it sit In my closest collecting dust. If I have a sneaker I don’t wear anymore i sell it and because it’s normally Jordan or Nike which is what I like I make my money back. It’s a smart think to do. I’m not saying you should wear sneakers you don’t like to be cool. That’s dumb but if you like them, wear them, and over time you don’t wear them anymore then why would you let them sit in your closet. When that happens I sell them and reinvest that money into something I’ll exactly wear. I do the same thing with clothes.
With that logic then you’re looking at the Foot Locker wall and thinking about asset appreciation (aka hyped ****) instead of just liking the shoe. You want the future ability to resell the shoe which is altering your decision making in buying the shoe.

Atao

Reaction score
With that logic then you’re looking at the Foot Locker wall and thinking about asset appreciation (aka hyped ****) instead of just liking the shoe. You want the future ability to resell the shoe which is altering your decision making in buying the shoe.
No not really I have GR release air max 1’s, clearance nikes, I’ve bought Jordan’s on sale Adidas on sale I don’t care what the value is when I buy it if I like it but when I don’t wear the sneaker anymore I sell them. If I make money back great if not they become beaters or yard work shoes. But if I can get get money back for sneaker I do.

jclark216

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Himalayan Cargo
High Shrunk Vest

D2FE40FF-3F59-4E44-80DA-C8F6D7D190C8.jpeg

Cuttooth

Reaction score
Did you buy them?
They look like John’s take on the spazzolato

the Chelsea’s were John’s take on the brixxen.
Maybe JE just needs to do a (footwear) collab with Prada, like FOG and zegna

They seem nice but for that much money I just don't know what I'd really wear them with. Usually any loafer style shoes I've owned are brown suede driving shoes.

thereaintnofutureinthis

Reaction score
Podcast was great, reminded me of how likeable John seems, which was part of what drew me in in the first place.

Also does anyone have any experience with the foundation tees? I've kind of been getting into uniform dressing lately and I feel like I'm putting my black uni through the ringer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bashar