• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jantzen, Reliable at last?

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by water
The site lists the 8061 as 1-Ply. It looks good... but 1-Ply?

8061 feels absolutely terrible to me. Thin, plasticky, with a very very 'dry' finish. Almost like acetate lining.

Valproate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
Here is my latest effort using the Jantzen 8061 blue gingham check fabric. I am REALLY digging the fabric!!! I will be looking for more patterns using the same base soon.

DSC_9619.jpg

DSC_9620.jpg

DSC_9621.jpg

Great look! How much does the fabric shrink? I'm thinking of getting one myself
smile.gif

StopPolloition

Reaction score
I have 8061 as well and like it. It feels almost like the Harvie and Hudson blue gingham fabric. No real complaints here.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm told that for most shirtings in single ply, there is only one correct side i.e. both sides are not the same. Not sure how true that is.

I'm just curious how fast are the orders delivered in recent times.

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
That looks EXCELLENT. Great fit and great color/fabric.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by stmny
That is a great fabric. If you like it, I recommend the pink. Details on the bow tie?

I am not really into pink, but thank you for the recommendation. Bow tie is Alexander Olch New York. Don't know much about the company - just liked the look.

Originally Posted by fox81
what is the collar and its dimensions?

also, did you specify a sloped shoulder?

It is P-15, 3.25" points. Normal shoulder specified.

Originally Posted by instep
8061 feels absolutely terrible to me. Thin, plasticky, with a very very 'dry' finish. Almost like acetate lining.

Hmm ... different strokes, I guess. I like it best of all other others I have from Jantzen!

Originally Posted by Valproate
Great look! How much does the fabric shrink? I'm thinking of getting one myself
smile.gif

Not too much - I used the same dimensions as my previous order, and so far the shrinkage is about the same ...

Originally Posted by StopPolloition
I have 8061 as well and like it. It feels almost like the Harvie and Hudson blue gingham fabric. No real complaints here.

Agreed!

Originally Posted by upnorth
I'm told that for most shirtings in single ply, there is only one correct side i.e. both sides are not the same. Not sure how true that is.

I'm just curious how fast are the orders delivered in recent times.

It looks identical on the reverse side. My delivery was pretty fast ... maybe three weeks? I ordered three shirts. Confirmation was basically instant.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with fine fabric 8651 extra fine white twill w/ brown and blue checks? Here is the picture...
8651.jpg

If so please let me know as I just placed an order for it!

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Anyone have any experience with fine fabric 8651 extra fine white twill w/ brown and blue checks? Here is the picture...
8651.jpg

too late now
laugh.gif

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinted voice
Anyone have any experience with fine fabric 8651 extra fine white twill w/ brown and blue checks? Here is the picture..

Sounds like the same stuff that I like with 8061, but a different pattern. Keep us posted and good luck!

dinted voice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
too late now
laugh.gif

Thanks! Actually...Ricki has been responsive to several emails I have sent him, though it takes a couple days. Oh well....will certainly keep everyone posted.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just threw in my first order with Jantzen today. I took the exact measurements from another MTM shirt and just made a note to copy the measurements exactly except for shrinkage allowance. I went with a purple gingham and blue POW pattern from the regular collection. Anyone have any experiences with these fabrics? They seem like solid check patterns for fall/winter. http://www.jantzentailor.com/2311.htm http://www.jantzentailor.com/checkers178.htm How does Jantzen's regular stuff compare to mytailor's executive collections? I tried a executive collection shirt awhile back, and was dissapointed by the fabric, it felt almost cardboard like. I was hoping it would soften after a few washes, but it didn't. As a frame of reference, I usually get thomas mason silverline, monti prince rose, or testa shirtex fabrics. I don't expect it to be the same, but if it's reasonably soft and holds up well in the wash for 1/4 of the price, I'm happy.

dinted voice

Reaction score
Quick question on those who provided a SCYE measurement....I asked Ricky to make the adjustment and that my measurement (laying the shirt flat on the bed) was 8.75 inches. He responded that was very small SCYE. Did I simply make the mistake of not saying 17.5 since that is the actual full measurement? Or is Ricki correct that the SCYE is too small and I measured incorrectly? Thanks.

needler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by instep

I wonder if people have different impressions of the same fabric or if they're sending out different fabrics sometimes.

I just ordered a highly reviewed white twill and I got a shiny, thin white shirt with no pattern at all. Obviously not twill. Frustrating because there's really no recourse to take short of not ordering from them anymore. Blech.

tom153

Reaction score
You're not talking about 8113, are you? I didn't think that it was that thin when I got it, but it was definitely shiny. Everything is good in the hood after a couple of washes.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needler
I wonder if people have different impressions of the same fabric or if they're sending out different fabrics sometimes.

I just ordered a highly reviewed white twill and I got a shiny, thin white shirt with no pattern at all. Obviously not twill. Frustrating because there's really no recourse to take short of not ordering from them anymore. Blech.

With all due respect, the problem is that most of the posters on this thread are graduating from low-middling RTW to Jantzen. Most have little to no experience with 'better' fabrics - Thomas Mason Silverline, Monti Rose, Acorn, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads