• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James Bond is rubbish

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
One thing you can't deny, "Quantum of Solace" doesn't make any ******* sense.

Zubberah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I was really happy when the camp nafness departed. It had run its course. Thought CR was easily the best Bond film since OHMSS. Probably the best since Goldfinger.

+1. No Bond film has really approached anything near film greatness IMO and remain good entertainment at best. Not sure what all the fuss is abouit w.r.t Bond films.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently no one here likes invisible BMWs, giant igloo hotels and Madonna as a fencing intstructress.
frown.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KhouriC
Correct me if i am wrong but Quantum of Solace is the first bond movie not based on a novel by Ian Flemming.
That is very, very wrong, actually. Fleming only wrote twelve bond novels. Quantum of Solace is Bond movie number 22.

Clark

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
That is very, very wrong, actually. Fleming only wrote twelve bond novels. Quantum of Solace is Bond movie number 22.

Yes, but some of the films are based on short stories, like The Living Daylights, A View to a Kill (From a view to a kill actually), Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only and Quantum of Solace.

I haven't seen QoS yet even if it had its premiere here in Sweden last week. The report of it having almost endlessly action scenes with quick editing has scared me of a bit. CR was a very good movie, and just as Doc said the best since OHMSS.

/C

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
[last lines]
James Bond: [in bed with Jones] I was wrong about you.
Dr. Christmas Jones: Yeah, how so?
James Bond: I thought Christmas only comes once a year.

clubbyjones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
[last lines]
James Bond: [in bed with Jones] I was wrong about you.
Dr. Christmas Jones: Yeah, how so?
James Bond: I thought Christmas only comes once a year.

TOTAL MONEY!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clark
Yes, but some of the films are based on short stories, like The Living Daylights, A View to a Kill (From a view to a kill actually), Octopussy, For Your Eyes Only and Quantum of Solace.
There were some that were LOOSELY based on short stories, sure. But QoS got its name from a passage in FYEO, I believe. Not based on a short story. Regardless, short stories are not novels as was stated in the post I quoted. And not all the bond movies were even based on Fleming's short stories either. None of the Brosnan movies, for example, except for Die Another Day, had anything to do with Fleming's stories. Here is a vague rundown of the movies vs the source materials. if you are curious.

Clark

Reaction score
Yes, I didn't mean all of them actually where based on the source material, more like they borrowed the name. I just added to your post, not argued against it.

QoS is a complete short story in the For Your Eyes Only compilation. A good read, and very different from the others. All of Flemings short stories are a good read IMO, his writing style fits the shorter format.

Good link BTW.

/C

KhouriC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim

updated

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always get excited to watch the movies, both the new ones and the old ones, all of which I own. Then I sit down and watch them and think, "this is ****." And yet, I'm excited for the new movie and kind of want to watch some of the old ones. It's weird. It's like I don't learn from my mistakes. Pavlov would be dissappointed.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
If you are comparing James Bond to all other movies, it's just a good action flick. But it isn't just an action flick. It's Bond.

I didn't appreciate Connery as Bond until I was an adult. At the time, Roger Moore was Bond, terrycloth jumpsuits and all.

After Moore, I think the studios missed the mark with younger fans and only targeted die hard bond fans. All my friends and I rode our bikes 10 miles just to see the opening credits of Octopussy with the shadows of naked dancers. I doubt many kids made this effort to catch The Living Daylights.

Daniel Craig may not be Connery but he's a great Bond for the next generation. He's ripped, cool, gets the ladies, and is a serious bad ass who takes a shot to the nuts and laughs.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
I always get excited to watch the movies, both the new ones and the old ones, all of which I own. Then I sit down and watch them and think, "this is ****." And yet, I'm excited for the new movie and kind of want to watch some of the old ones. It's weird. It's like I don't learn from my mistakes. Pavlov would be dissappointed.

I loved them as a kid, so I enjoy watching them today simply for the nostalgia - even though I think the same thing you do about their quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads