• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jaguar XK - Any Experience?

Nugget

Reaction score
I dont have any experience, but I am growing to like Jaguars, and I think the supercharged 'R' versions add a little bit of stealth cred.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised so many are opposed to the current XKR. It's supposedly a far better handling car when compared to the previous generation. In addition, the design of the car was created by Ian Callum who's also responsible for the stylings of the recent Aston DB9, which IMO is the reason I find this car better looking than half the GT's on the road today. With any Jag, you have to consider the hit you'll take on depreciation, however I still find it to be quite a sexy automobile.

I just wish they would send over the XKRS version, however I still wouldn't likely be able to afford it.

montyharding

Reaction score
There's a Jag dealer very close to me and they occasionally have the XK's alongside the odd Aston (a very bad idea, for the following reason) - and I think the similarity of the lines counts against the XK, in that you're basically advertising the fact that you wanted an Aston but couldn't afford one.

Callum penned is perhaps a demerit in this respect - I don't think it's unique enough to be distinct. I'm sure it's a very nice car and apparently it's supposed to be the best Jag in terms of everyday usable dynamics in ages, but it just has that whiff of underachiever about it.

I'm not really into Astons, but how about looking into a used early-model DB9 if you like the look of the XK?

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
There's a Jag dealer very close to me and they occasionally have the XK's alongside the odd Aston (a very bad idea, for the following reason) - and I think the similarity of the lines counts against the XK, in that you're basically advertising the fact that you wanted an Aston but couldn't afford one. Callum penned is perhaps a demerit in this respect - I don't think it's unique enough to be distinct. I'm sure it's a very nice car and apparently it's supposed to be the best Jag in terms of everyday usable dynamics in ages, but it just has that whiff of underachiever about it. I'm not really into Astons, but how about looking into a used early-model DB9 if you like the look of the XK?
I can understand from a deign perspective, however IMO I've never really considered XK & XKR owners as those who could not afford the Astons. Especially since used 06's and never driven 07 Vantages are selling respectively below the price of new XK's and XKR's.

I've always considered the XK's as a viable alternative to the staunch SL's and bloated 6 series.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
and I think the similarity of the lines counts against the XK, in that you're basically advertising the fact that you wanted an Aston but couldn't afford one.

Because who wants to suffer the indignity of only owning an XK? It just screams total failure in life.
rolleyes.gif

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Because who wants to suffer the indignity of only owning an XK? It just screams total failure in life.
rolleyes.gif

It's marketing, not failure in life. £60K is a lot of money but it's below the entry level for the luxe marques and at the upper end of the mainstream. That's why the XK is priced as it is and why they were trying to move the demographics of the Jaguar buyer towards those aspiring to Astons - although of course the takeover will change the relevance of the product positioning now.

I'm saying it's a more indirect version of buying a Boxster when you really wanted a 911. In such a position why not get a used 911? Why not consider a used DB9 instead?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it matters, not only have I never aspired to an Aston, I wouldn't even be able to pick one out on a car lot..
laugh.gif

In other words, its something I have never considered..

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can understand that argument. I thought you were making some sort of personal statement. I've read a lot of posts on here that relate cars purely to status symbols. I would never buy a 7 series over a 3 series just because I could, or through some inferiority complex that would lead to embarrassment from driving a less expensive car.

montyharding

Reaction score
The problem seems to be that it doesn't successfully update the slightly tired Jaguar image because, as I said, it borrows too heavily from another marque - which was, as I pointed out, likely a deliberate act. Like the X-Type, it seems like a variation of the same upselling exercise, only as I said the exercise is now rendered moot since Jaguar's takeover by Tata, divorcing it from association with Aston.

I understand the older XK8 was hardly a dynamic marvel, but I thought it was a more dignified yet stylish, 'genuine' Jaguar than the current iteration.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
rolleyes.gif

I too thought he was referencing concern over public perception, Jag vs Aston.

turboman808

Reaction score
I love the new XKR. Got a chance to drive it and I would recommend the car to anyone. The base model XK just doesn't have the right look. Got to go with the XKR!

My girlfriend is interested in getting one.

Now the XKSS is a car I can only dream about at this point. It happens to be the screen saver on my computer right now. With Steve McQueen driving it of course.
smile.gif

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I love the new XKR. Got a chance to drive it and I would recommend the car to anyone. The base model XK just doesn't have the right look. Got to go with the XKR!

My girlfriend is interested in getting one.

Now the XKSS is a car I can only dream about at this point. It happens to be the screen saver on my computer right now. With Steve McQueen driving it of course.
smile.gif

I agree, the XKR is quite a nice car. The XK is pretty sweet, but the XKR looks significantly better (especially with screened grille).

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Night Owl
Now is a good time to buy an F430.
They've been taking a slight price dive, but nothing comparable to the range of cars the OP is seeking advice on. I have seen some 360's selling at or below the 80k mark.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads