• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the himalaya color way. Only two models have it so far.

I took delivery of the Sterett a couple of weeks ago. That thing was solid and temples were amazing. Didn’t fit though, and I realized (and it’s been said here), there’s really nothing special about the black acetate. I agree, particularly on a $2k frame, so back they went. I was looking for THE black frame to add to my collection. Those weren’t it. There’s supposed to be another LF this spring?
I’ve been complaining for a while on here that I’m bored with so many frames coming out in black and brown. Obviously they are the most conventional colours and will sell well as they are the most versatile for normies but we are not normal!

I suppose everyone should have at least one black frame if they so desire but there’s not much appeal to me to have numerous black frames. I have one black LF Rawlins and one Dealan wolf (sorta black) and it would take something stunning for me to get another. Good luck on finding your grail!

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
The Balzac was wider in appearance than I thought it would be.

1708542916724.gif

obecity

Reaction score
I’ve been complaining for a while on here that I’m bored with so many frames coming out in black and brown. Obviously they are the most conventional colours and will sell well as they are the most versatile for normies but we are not normal!

I suppose everyone should have at least one black frame if they so desire but there’s not much appeal to me to have numerous black frames. I have one black LF Rawlins and one Dealan wolf (sorta black) and it would take something stunning for me to get another. Good luck on finding your grail!
I understand your view of not wanting multiple black or multiple brown frames. However, try also looking at it as different frames styles as well. That may justify several blacks or browns if the styles are sufficiently different. JMTCYBIANAL (just my two cents worth but I am not a lawyer).

thass_hot

Reaction score
Hello,
I found this pair I really like, but there's something that makes me wonder if they're legit or not. The serial code as can be seen in the temple is 115/400, but checking the card it's written 1150/400. Is this just a typing mistake or could it be something else? Apart from that everything looks good. Thanks.

Attachments

• 419722574_7550662794952393_7524444367038881276_n.jpg
    419722574_7550662794952393_7524444367038881276_n.jpg
    544.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 419849613_7550662621619077_3631297255779405251_n.jpg
    419849613_7550662621619077_3631297255779405251_n.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 111

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I found this pair I really like, but there's something that makes me wonder if they're legit or not. The serial code as can be seen in the temple is 115/400, but checking the card it's written 1150/400. Is this just a typing mistake or could it be something else? Apart from that everything looks good. Thanks.

They look authentic to me, that's probably not a 0 on the card.

By the way, I have and love them, great colourway and combination.

JessBob

Reaction score
Hello,

I've seen a high resolution version of the card photo. It's not a zero. AFAIK, the cards are hand numbered and it looked like the writer attempted to write a 5, the original 5 was too skinny, and tried to correct that by adding that extra flourish at the end

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 8.45.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-02-22 at 8.45.22 AM.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 120

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Mantua yet? Looks like a nice, simple conservative frame that's a cross between the herbie and molino. Maybe it's a bit too simple though.

Pakman161

Reaction score
Any pictures?
1708635025543.png

The Mantua are in the vein of their Rx line so the acetate is not as thick, The black acetate options don't wear so heavy on your face. I think of these as their LF Dayton on a "budget" model. These also have 3-barrel hinges but are capped off on the edges. I thought they were comfortable and would make great transition optical/sunglass frames. I think the width fit more like Plaza/Molinos - but there's proportion due to being a 54-17 frame with 40 lens depth. It doesn't cut on the side profile as hard as the Herbie. I think overall a very approachable frame for most.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2136917
The Mantua are in the vein of their Rx line so the acetate is not as thick, The black acetate options don't wear so heavy on your face. I think of these as their LF Dayton on a "budget" model. These also have 3-barrel hinges but are capped off on the edges. I thought they were comfortable and would make great transition optical/sunglass frames. I think the width fit more like Plaza/Molinos - but there's proportion due to being a 54-17 frame with 40 lens depth. It doesn't cut on the side profile as hard as the Herbie. I think overall a very approachable frame for most.

Thank you. Frankly less attractive to me, pretty bland.

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Awesome frame. Sadly it seems like jmm acetate is trending in smaller directions with many of these new “classic shaped” releases, which cuts out bigger head people.

Makes sense as it’s probably more aligned to the overall market (especially given more women are jumping on the jmm bandwagon). It would be nice if they made some of these interesting, but still classic, new shapes in larger sizes as the larger releases tend to be the more “out there” releases.

It’s one reason why the hemmings is so popular - larger but still classic. Outside of hemmings, it seems like people are stuck with molino 55 or torino which are a bit blah for sunglasses - better for optical

How is JMM doing any sort of a disservice to "bigger headed people" by launching one or two frames on the smaller side? There are tons of offerings from JMM that fit on the large side, including many classic models, and relatively few that fit small. Enzo, Torino, Yves, Dealan 53, and more come to mind.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
How is JMM doing any sort of a disservice to "bigger headed people" by launching one or two frames on the smaller side? There are tons of offerings from JMM that fit on the large side, including many classic models, and relatively few that fit small. Enzo, Torino, Yves, Dealan 53, and more come to mind.
They aren’t doing any disservice. They simply aren’t launching many new frames - all frames you mentioned are older - vast majority of new frames are smaller. It’s just what it is. Not complaining, just observing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads