• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That feller has gone overboard with his collection. I disagree with how large the collection is, especially considering how expensive the frames are now. With all my respect. He seems like a genuinely good feller based on his posts.
How long does acetate last if well cared for? That feller with the vast JMM collection may not realize there’s not enough time in the universe to enjoy all those frames before they degrade. Do they last 10 years? 20? 50? 100s?

Don't want to make any moral assessment: if you're a billionaire, you can of course get all the models.
You can, but you must not, I wouldn't buy so many versions of the same model for sure.

Not an expert, but I think that acetate has a pretty long life.

Last edited:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What fuckin business is of anyone to tell someone else how to spend their money?
We all have our priorities and budgets, and are free to spend dough on whatever we want as long as we have skin thick enough to defend our decisions against haters.
I wouldn’t advocate remortgaging the house or dipping into the kids’ college funds but otherwise let him buy every frame that comes out if he wants. I wouldn’t do it but I doubt this bloke would buy some of the crap that I’ve acquired over the years!

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the complementing discussions here. Nothing for me to add here, so therefore I'll continue posting self-indulgent selfies with pretty frames :cool:

Something I haven't seen in this thread yet - a Balzac, this one in Agar. I love it.

JMM Balzac Agar_DBF Overshirt Plum Check_Eidos Thermal Polo Olive_Trail Bridge.jpg

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That feller has gone overboard with his collection. I disagree with how large the collection is, especially considering how expensive the frames are now. With all my respect. He seems like a genuinely good feller based on his posts.

1sb8bj.jpg

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really like the himalaya color way. Only two models have it so far.

I took delivery of the Sterett a couple of weeks ago. That thing was solid and temples were amazing. Didn’t fit though, and I realized (and it’s been said here), there’s really nothing special about the black acetate. I agree, particularly on a $2k frame, so back they went. I was looking for THE black frame to add to my collection. Those weren’t it. There’s supposed to be another LF this spring?

threeleggeddog

Reaction score

Awesome frame. Sadly it seems like jmm acetate is trending in smaller directions with many of these new “classic shaped” releases, which cuts out bigger head people.

Makes sense as it’s probably more aligned to the overall market (especially given more women are jumping on the jmm bandwagon). It would be nice if they made some of these interesting, but still classic, new shapes in larger sizes as the larger releases tend to be the more “out there” releases.

It’s one reason why the hemmings is so popular - larger but still classic. Outside of hemmings, it seems like people are stuck with molino 55 or torino which are a bit blah for sunglasses - better for optical

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In recent years, much of the buzz around JMM has been self-generated. They strategically showcased frames on their website, promptly labeling them as ‘sold out’ within 24 hours. However, the truth was that many of these frames were still making their way to physical stores. Over the past year, JMM has scaled back its wholesale market significantly, opting to sell exclusively to select stores. This shift reflects a more pragmatic approach to product availability, accurately represented online. Looking ahead, JMM seems poised to establish standalone stores, creating an ultra-exclusive brand experience by bypassing intermediaries and directly serving their customers.
I've been out of the JMM chat for a long while, but part of the issue, I believe, initially was that Jerome did whatever he liked from what I understand, at the expense of wholesalers and distributors who felt they were dealing with a very erratic business partner.

Case in point, Mr Porter put in an order for something like 150 frames initially and Jerome turned round weeks before the shipment date to say they had somewhere like 40 and was more of a like it or lump it approach and put people's noses out of joint. Hence the very random trickle of frames in across multiple seasons to retailers. You go on MrPs site now and they have 74 different pieces in stock, which is bonkers.

It may have changed in more recent years, but I can imagine working with them is challenging.

obecity

Reaction score
I'm enjoying the complementing discussions here. Nothing for me to add here, so therefore I'll continue posting self-indulgent selfies with pretty frames :cool:

Something I haven't seen in this thread yet - a Balzac, this one in Agar. I love it.

View attachment 2135997
I love that frames, but definitely not for the wide-faced among us. Curse my fat head!

obecity

Reaction score
Awesome frame. Sadly it seems like jmm acetate is trending in smaller directions with many of these new “classic shaped” releases, which cuts out bigger head people.

Makes sense as it’s probably more aligned to the overall market (especially given more women are jumping on the jmm bandwagon). It would be nice if they made some of these interesting, but still classic, new shapes in larger sizes as the larger releases tend to be the more “out there” releases.

It’s one reason why the hemmings is so popular - larger but still classic. Outside of hemmings, it seems like people are stuck with molino 55 or torino which are a bit blah for sunglasses - better for optical
Agree 100% with this comment. I’ve noticed as well a drift toward narrow frames. The main reason I was drawn to this brand was that their “wide” frames looked “normal” on my big ole face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads