• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I was concerned about that before picking up Jaggers and 1962s. What I like about them is the fit and that they’re super light. I think they can hold up if you use them as dailies, but you definitely want to take care in how you handle them, like not grabbing them from one temple side when taking them off or tossing them around. They certainly don’t feel substantial from a weight or thickness perspective, but they don’t feel cheap or flimsy. Unless you equate lightweight with flimsy. I have Dita metal aviators that are relatively thick and sturdy. I wouldn’t say they’re better made than the JMMs.
To be honest, I don’t think thickness of titanium really has much to do with durability. I can imagine thick titanium snapping just as easily as I can imagine lightweight titanium snapping. Quality is likely more important than thickness. And with that, I actually think jmm modern titanium frames are better quality than their acetate counterparts, which are starting to feel almost mass produced whereas the titanium feels substantial, even if they are light.

There are brands that are far cheaper with titanium and also feel nice however. Native sons - recently got a pair of their frames for 50% and feel extremely well made and weigh nothing. (See pic). Really liking this brand…

I think Akoni shares a manufacturer with Dita (although they feel higher quality for whatever reason) - I think dita has solid titanium frames but the acetate feels a bit cheaper for whatever reason. That said, their acetate is also far lighter and more comfortable, so this could be a smarter design choice as I doubt either will be breaking from ordinary wear.

All things considered as it comes to price of titanium frames, dita, akoni, and jmm are all hovering around $1000+ for models at the moment. I think all of them are likely going to outlast the wear we would likely give them at this price point… but it is a high price point.

Attachments

• 46E7CC85-27FC-4811-BE63-1CC2DDC36557.jpeg
    46E7CC85-27FC-4811-BE63-1CC2DDC36557.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 132

obecity

Reaction score
To be honest, I don’t think thickness of titanium really has much to do with durability. I can imagine thick titanium snapping just as easily as I can imagine lightweight titanium snapping. Quality is likely more important than thickness. And with that, I actually think jmm modern titanium frames are better quality than their acetate counterparts, which are starting to feel almost mass produced whereas the titanium feels substantial, even if they are light.

There are brands that are far cheaper with titanium and also feel nice however. Native sons - recently got a pair of their frames for 50% and feel extremely well made and weigh nothing. (See pic). Really liking this brand…

I think Akoni shares a manufacturer with Dita (although they feel higher quality for whatever reason) - I think dita has solid titanium frames but the acetate feels a bit cheaper for whatever reason. That said, their acetate is also far lighter and more comfortable, so this could be a smarter design choice as I doubt either will be breaking from ordinary wear.

All things considered as it comes to price of titanium frames, dita, akoni, and jmm are all hovering around $1000+ for models at the moment. I think all of them are likely going to outlast the wear we would likely give them at this price point… but it is a high price point.
I’m going to have to take a look a native sons. Those frames look nice. Are they wide enough for the fat-faced among us to wear as opticals?

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW I have a pair of titanium Ditas as well as JMM titanium frames which I made into opticals to look like my hero David Koresh. I dunno that either is clearly tougher. Native Sons titanium felt good too when I tried it years ago, but the eye pads were too loose for me on the ones I got and I hated them jangling around. You can get simper Dita titanium on sale for $350ish from Ssense and Matches end of season. Akoni are nicely made but also heavier and they look like all the worst aspects of Matsuda to me with the steam punk elements. Akoni on Matches this year made it into the high $200s (I imagine because they are ugly as F :devil:). Akoni also shares manufacturing w/ Balmain from what I was told.

For similar chunky acetate, Cutler and Gross has a few chunky monkey models. I got the 1402 and they're nice in hand. Matsuda has a couple chunky ones also with some good detailing. Both didn't feel all that dissimilar to JMM and both were significantly less (around $300 or so) on sale this season.

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
FWIW I have a pair of titanium Ditas as well as JMM titanium frames which I made into opticals to look like my hero David Koresh. I dunno that either is clearly tougher. Native Sons titanium felt good too when I tried it years ago, but the eye pads were too loose for me on the ones I got and I hated them jangling around. You can get simper Dita titanium on sale for $350ish from Ssense and Matches end of season. Akoni are nicely made but also heavier and they look like all the worst aspects of Matsuda to me with the steam punk elements. Akoni on Matches this year made it into the high $200s (I imagine because they are ugly as F :devil:). Akoni also shares manufacturing w/ Balmain from what I was told.

For similar chunky acetate, Cutler and Gross has a few chunky monkey models. I got the 1402 and they're nice in hand. Matsuda has a couple chunky ones also with some good detailing. Both didn't feel all that dissimilar to JMM and both were significantly less (around $300 or so) on sale this season.

The two gents who own Akoni – the former owners of Dita – control the eyewear production for Balmain and Valentino.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This frame looks too thin to me, not assertive enough.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I agree. They look like the basic 200thb glasses I see everywhere in the markets of Bangkok.
Eh, I have plenty of thick beastly frames. There’s nothing wrong with something that doesn’t eat up your face or make a huge statement - especially when they are comfortable. On the thicker side, I’m really liking Ahlem… they don’t feel as finished as JMM glasses but they have an angularity which give off more of an architectural vibe

Attachments

• 209A631C-0C22-4372-88AF-AB0B7716DB40.jpeg
    209A631C-0C22-4372-88AF-AB0B7716DB40.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 152

Facultyofzen

Reaction score
Eh, I have plenty of thick beastly frames. There’s nothing wrong with something that doesn’t eat up your face or make a huge statement - especially when they are comfortable. On the thicker side, I’m really liking Ahlem… they don’t feel as finished as JMM glasses but they have an angularity which give off more of an architectural vibe

I do like those! I wasn't being critical of your choice, it was merely an observation as I feel the NS frames are aesthetically against everything I look for in a frame. If you like them that's all that matters :fonz:

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with your comments. I personally enjoy light titanium frames (have Ditta & JMM) or Palladium White (Matsuda) which seems the same for me. I almost feel like I am not wearing frames. If someone likes more sturdy and heavyweight titanium you have Leisure Society frames. Their block titanium it´s substancial on pair with their prices. I got the Oceanic model and, although I love them, I do not wear them that much due to the weight/hardness. Block titanium.png

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Leisure Society Cortez which look very similar to those Oceanics - maybe similar shape just a tad smaller in dimensions. I love them and they are sturdy but still very light wearing on the face.

I look back at their website from time to time but haven’t seen any that hit the price-attraction sweet spot for me so they may remain my only LS pair but that’s fine with me!

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Leisure Society Cortez which look very similar to those Oceanics - maybe similar shape just a tad smaller in dimensions. I love them and they are sturdy but still very light wearing on the face.

I look back at their website from time to time but haven’t seen any that hit the price-attraction sweet spot for me so they may remain my only LS pair but that’s fine with me!
I've looked at them before too and they seem very well made. Design can be very hit or miss. Def on my list, though.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked at them before too and they seem very well made. Design can be very hit or miss. Def on my list, though.
I’m always advocating that we try on sunglasses to avoid the hassle of dealing with those that look good in pictures but they don’t suit us. The problem is that very few dealers stock LS, they say they can get them but that’s no use.

LS does have a free return system which is what I used when I took a liking to the Cortez. It took a while to get them delivered as they told me they had to cut the lenses. I assume they are lens-free until someone orders them in case the customer wants opticals. They would have looked great with a blue tinge but I was only offered G15 in a very flat 1 or 2 base which I love for the sorta robotic effect it has!
But like you say, styles are very hit and miss and I’m not really interested in their acetate only their Titanium.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
guys do you know if titanium frames can be adjusted ?
Yes, I've had all my JMM titanium frames adjusted. From what I've seen, it's easier and faster for the opticians to adjust titanium than it is the thick 10mm acetate. That said, I'd try to have any adjustments, acetate and titanium, done at a JMM AD.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads