• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

qubed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, duty will be exempted for e-commerce purchases that are under USD 2500 (approximately MYR 11625).

I don't know why it says that, because you'll likely be charged duty for anything over $800, which is the current de minimis threshold. There is a informal/formal import delineation at $2500, but that shouldn't effect the actual dollar amount you pay.

A formal import over $2500 is a bit of a pain, since you have to do a bunch of paper work, and may have to give your SSN.

Note that you're still supposed to pay your state's use tax regardless of whether you're paying import duties or not.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any problems for a feller in the USA ordering from mondello? Is there a problem with customs or shipping or anything I should be weary of? 20% is tough to pass up. Looking to order tonight. Need STAT responses. PATYIA (please and thank you in advance).

Welcome back. Glad that you revised your decision.

To respond your question, I'm in the reverse situation, being based in Europe, and honestly I don't know how these customs taxes are applied, whether they are or not. When I bought from the USA I mostly was charged, but with my latest purchases at JMM I wasn't. It could be a question of luck, as Facultyofzen says. If you are sure you want a frame and will keep it, I would take the risk, because 20% is tough to pass up, as you said.

Last edited:

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chiming in on @obecity 's question and reinforcing the responses, as someone who has ordered several JMMs from overseas sellers - under $800, you're fine as far as NOT paying extra duties on eyewear. HOWEVER, there is a good chance there will be a slight slowdown at customs in New York as this is a piece of eyewear, which gets lumped into a medical-related goods classification. You'll likely receive a notice to provide additional information so it clears; Mondello should also receive this, and should take care of the customs matter on its own end. But to make the process faster, once you receive the notice from DHL (I'm guessing Mondello will use DHL), email those messages and links to Mondello. As Mondello already ships internationally, it should be familiar with this.

This has happened with me for a few overseas sellers (including Seen Opticians in the UK and i visionari in Italy), and no problems. It's an extra one or two days added on to the overall shipping and delivery, but in my experience and given the discount, the final price is well worth the extra emails and the wait.

Regarding @Facultyofzen 's input on jewelry, excellent points on individual artists' craftwork vs. JMM's interpretations / reimaginings / conglomerations. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but can appreciate this perspective, as I used to take jewelry-making classes and created a few pieces for myself. (Ah, the wild things we men do before we get married and start families...) My personal take-away on the inspiration for the JMM jewelry is that they involve a few sources, of which Native American culture is the lynchpin for the designs, but with enough adjustment (artistic license??) to make these its own. But yeah, the JMM prices are difficult to justify overall!

Thanks for posting the Native American artists that you know, I'll look into their works!

Anyway, regarding the JMM ring I just purchased - I'm returning it for a simple reason - it's a tad too big. I used a free ring sizer from Blue Nile to check my size before I purchased - it turns out a plastic size 11 and a silver size 11 have very different feels on the fingers in real life. If I can get a size down, I'll go for it, otherwise that money goes back into the :cool: fund.

lsterling

Reaction score
Chiming in on @obecity 's question and reinforcing the responses, as someone who has ordered several JMMs from overseas sellers - under $800, you're fine as far as NOT paying extra duties on eyewear. HOWEVER, there is a good chance there will be a slight slowdown at customs in New York as this is a piece of eyewear, which gets lumped into a medical-related goods classification. You'll likely receive a notice to provide additional information so it clears; Mondello should also receive this, and should take care of the customs matter on its own end. But to make the process faster, once you receive the notice from DHL (I'm guessing Mondello will use DHL), email those messages and links to Mondello. As Mondello already ships internationally, it should be familiar with this.

This has happened with me for a few overseas sellers (including Seen Opticians in the UK and i visionari in Italy), and no problems. It's an extra one or two days added on to the overall shipping and delivery, but in my experience and given the discount, the final price is well worth the extra emails and the wait.

Regarding @Facultyofzen 's input on jewelry, excellent points on individual artists' craftwork vs. JMM's interpretations / reimaginings / conglomerations. I don't wear a lot of jewelry, but can appreciate this perspective, as I used to take jewelry-making classes and created a few pieces for myself. (Ah, the wild things we men do before we get married and start families...) My personal take-away on the inspiration for the JMM jewelry is that they involve a few sources, of which Native American culture is the lynchpin for the designs, but with enough adjustment (artistic license??) to make these its own. But yeah, the JMM prices are difficult to justify overall!

Thanks for posting the Native American artists that you know, I'll look into their works!

Anyway, regarding the JMM ring I just purchased - I'm returning it for a simple reason - it's a tad too big. I used a free ring sizer from Blue Nile to check my size before I purchased - it turns out a plastic size 11 and a silver size 11 have very different feels on the fingers in real life. If I can get a size down, I'll go for it, otherwise that money goes back into the :cool: fund.
I'm actually surprised you ended up with a ring that was too large rather than too small. I feel like, typically, a plastic sizer will under-size your finger since the thin plastic band doesn't really account for how thick the actual ring band will be. For instance, you may be a 10 in thin bands, but with a thick band (thinking of some Native jewelry that would be quite a bit thicker than the JMM ring you had), you might be closer to an 11-12. My guess is that the JMM ring was not a true 11 - if you have access to a mandrel or a friendly jeweler, I'd be interested to know how it measures.

lsterling

Reaction score

Also, to add a couple of Native artists that I think are worth looking at - Fernando Benally, Veronica Benally (Fernando's aunt - several members of the Benally family are highly-regarded silversmiths and jewelers), and Rick Tolino all make some really beautiful and unique stuff. Fernando's Mountain rings and Medicine Mask series are particularly nice to my eye.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really cool. I've thought all the LF jewelry looked great but just can't justify the price tag.
Same. Digging their turquoise bracelet, but $2600 for silver? You can buy these Native American bracelets in the southwest or online for one or two hundred bucks. I get this is a luxury brand, and exact same can be said about their eyewear, but still.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, to add a couple of Native artists that I think are worth looking at - Fernando Benally, Veronica Benally (Fernando's aunt - several members of the Benally family are highly-regarded silversmiths and jewelers), and Rick Tolino all make some really beautiful and unique stuff. Fernando's Mountain rings and Medicine Mask series are particularly nice to my eye.
Thanks for these artist suggestions, I'll check them out too!

Badger716

Reaction score
Sun or optical? I just saw an optical
Will be putting in custom lenses anyways so opticals should work

Thanks for catching em 🫡

Update: Looks like that store sold it to someone else. If anyone sees one in the wild please do let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went down to the Venice store for some prescription sunglasses and my first JMM frames. I was pretty set on the Zephirin 47 but not on the color and was leaning towards Havana but they had one pair of Whiskey left that grew on me. I wound up getting the Whiskey frames with Turqoise tint lenses. The prescription and tint charges were very reasonable and I was unaware that if you buy frames and lenses together in California then there is no sales tax on either so that was a nice surprise.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-21 170035.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 170035.png
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot 2023-11-21 170005.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-21 170005.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5484.jpg
    IMG_5484.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5480.jpg
    IMG_5480.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 176

lsterling

Reaction score
Went down to the Venice store for some prescription sunglasses and my first JMM frames. I was pretty set on the Zephirin 47 but not on the color and was leaning towards Havana but they had one pair of Whiskey left that grew on me. I wound up getting the Whiskey frames with Turqoise tint lenses. The prescription and tint charges were very reasonable and I was unaware that if you buy frames and lenses together in California then there is no sales tax on either so that was a nice surprise.
Congrats and welcome to the sickness I mean club.

mbf123

Reaction score
New colorway called Goldstone up on the site for 4 frames. Looks nice but priced at $950 instead of the $820 they just raised prices to - an extra 16%! No new packaging or special cases like with the Yellowstone / Last Frontier / Kubrick etc, just $130 more for a special color. I would understand but they just released the Vesper colorway last week in 4 frames - all at the same existing price (that they just raised 10% from $750 to $820).

It feels like the $950 is there to anchor their next price hikes so when it comes around we're used to seeing it (and start to think that $820 is a good deal)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads