• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I had the chance to really read your comment and I think you were being sarcastic. If so, you need to put that disclaimer in beforehand. It causes problems otherwise. Do better.
He doesn’t need a disclaimer. The sarcasm was pretty obvious. The level of drama over these price increases is a bit silly - these are nonessential luxury goods - if you don’t like the price of the glasses then don’t buy them.

Jerome owes us nothing and we owe him nothing. If we bought glasses that we like in the past at lower prices, great. If we think the higher prices aren’t worth buying and we don’t spend money on them, also great.

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently just noticed the price increases on Jacques Marie Mage glasses, sunglasses, and glass and sunglass accessories.

Personally, I feel like the price increases are not large enough, given the fiscal, physical, and emotional labor that Jerome Jacques Marie Mage himself is personally experiencing.

I will be lobbying for a high pricing increase in 2024, as I want to see Jerome Jacques Marie Mage thrive so that he's not just sitting on a regular toilet, and but a golden toilet.
One day I will pass on to my children the 6k JMMs I bought for $550 in 2021. JMM price hikes create generational wealth.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
Ok. Ok. Ok. Har dee har har har guys. Everyone is having some fun with the fat old retired guy in the group. I get it. When I was a young whipper snapper, I woulda done the same. I’m having a laugh now with my bourbon. God I love this group. Ball busting at its finest. (But the prices are a load of malarkey and you all are illin if you don’t know it.)

D32169

Reaction score
I had the chance to really read your comment and I think you were being sarcastic. If so, you need to put that disclaimer in beforehand. It causes problems otherwise. Do better.
Mr. Obecity: Please, please, please do NOT flee to a cheaper brand. You are f’in hilarious.

HickeyBarnicle

Reaction score
I've been eyeing a pair of Akoni for a while. Tried them on in the store and they were ergonomically superior to all the JMM that I tried except for the Diane and the Crevel.

ColdinMN

Reaction score
I've been eyeing a pair of Akoni for a while. Tried them on in the store and they were ergonomically superior to all the JMM that I tried except for the Diane and the Crevel.
Interesting. I’m also looking at Akoni. Like JMM the prices seemed to have increased recently. Prices at the few stores I’ve been to are lower than what’s online.

Agree with much of what has been said. Price increases suck. Capitalism at work. Wants vs needs, affordability is personal. I still think JMM could charge more for most of their products and still sell out if their designs hit the right spots.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Ok. Ok. Har dee har har har guys. Everyone is having some fun with the fat old retired guy in the group. I get it. When I was a young whipper snapper, I woulda done the same. I’m having a laugh now with my bourbon. God I love this group. Ball busting at its finest. (But the prices are a load of malarkey and you all are illin if you don’t know it.)

Cheers bud, it's all in good fun.

If I could contribute a serious note: there are tons of great sunglasses with similar shapes, styles, and colors as JMM for well under $500. There are also sunglasses with the same material and build quality as JMM for well over $1,000.

I think JMM is trying to find their niche in the market as they grow and expand their operations and refine product positioning among the competition.

It's all about what you're willing to pay for a non-essential hobby item. Heck, the JLC watch I bought a year ago is now like 15% higher for msrp. As mentioned here before, it's happening across the luxury goods spectrum.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Interesting. I’m also looking at Akoni. Like JMM the prices seemed to have increased recently. Prices at the few stores I’ve been to are lower than what’s online.

Agree with much of what has been said. Price increases suck. Capitalism at work. Wants vs needs, affordability is personal. I still think JMM could charge more for most of their products and still sell out if their designs hit the right spots.
Akoni can be found pretty cheaply as many retailers will do deep discounts. While I like Akoni, so many shops seem to push Akoni so hard that it makes me wonder if there’s a different commission structure for selling Akoni frames. One guy basically told me that jmm is crap compared to Akoni (a shop which sells jmm too), which is definitely not true.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I love these last frontier cases, but I’d prefer some more protection. Does anyone have any idea if there’s some type of thinnish hard shell that could slide in there to give it rigidity?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 74

ColdinMN

Reaction score
Akoni can be found pretty cheaply as many retailers will do deep discounts. While I like Akoni, so many shops seem to push Akoni so hard that it makes me wonder if there’s a different commission structure for selling Akoni frames. One guy basically told me that jmm is crap compared to Akoni (a shop which sells jmm too), which is definitely not true.
Thanks. I will look into sales.

JMM seems to be a higher quality than Akoni, but it’s close. I wouldn’t call either crap.

I bet most of us on here know more about JMM frames than the average salesperson. That said, I couldn’t tell you much about almost every other eyewear brand.

Here are a few Akoni pictures.
Akoni Orion
3F6FEE43-66F2-4F38-9102-306901A047B1.jpeg

Akoni Ara
77E32E99-284D-4194-BD42-06C6368A6BF2.jpeg

HickeyBarnicle

Reaction score
Strange indeed to see them pushed so hard in relation to JMM. Both are made in japan and unless he had some arcane knowledge about the production I'd expect quality to be comparable. The opticians I've spoken to don't have too much to say about Akoni comparatively since they are so new on the scene. One has certainly had something to say about price hikes though.
I wouldnt be surprised if the one I got was a similar quality to a Robert La Roche frame even though RLR makes theirs in Italy.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will look into sales.

JMM seems to be a higher quality than Akoni, but it’s close. I wouldn’t call either crap.

I bet most of us on here know more about JMM frames than the average salesperson. That said, I couldn’t tell you much about almost every other eyewear brand.

Here are a few Akoni pictures.
Akoni Orion
View attachment 2040555

Akoni Ara
View attachment 2040557

This frame looks really good on you.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been mentioned before, but Cutler & Gross are doing some very JMM-esque (very bold, thick acetate) frames as of late, like the 1402, 1403, 1386, etc.

The local shop where I got my Fellinis has a pair of white 1402 on display and I've been tempted to go inside and try them on.

They even have a Taos-like frame, the 1393.

Cutler_and_Gross__375_www.cutlerandgross.com_CGSN-1393-50-01_2_2048x.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads