• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

obecity

Reaction score
Would you sell the Dealan fatigues you bought for $795 to me for $795 plus inflationary increase? Thank you.
I don’t have a pair, but if I did, I’d mark them up like a mofo. Probably $2599.99. (But that’s me as a private individual, not a greedy multinational corporation). Hopefully that doesn’t make me a hypocrite

Hannibal4242

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I understand where you’re coming from. However, I bought a pair of glasses from Costco with essilor gen 8 trans lenses for $110. There’s no way that a JMM frame, even with better material and Japanese workmanship and labor, costs 8-9x more. There is obscene profit in there even if supply and demand supports it. I’m one of the last red blooded balls to the wall American patriots in these here United States of America, but I just can’t get behind that kind of capitalistic greed.
that's a bit of hypocritical double speak there , you can't be pro red blooded capitalist and be upset at the value that's placed on a product ... with all due respect it just sounds like your salty about what you can afford and what you're wiling to spend . Your $110 Costco product is probably making the same profit as JMM due to mass production and market flood especially at Costco where greed/over indulgence and wholesale prices go hand in hand. If you're that adamant about the price, you should definitely write a strongly worded letter to JMM and while your at it send one to Aston Martin , Tiffany &co Montblanc Kilian and Taran Tactical innovations .... that pit viper should not be $7k ....... with all due respect of course

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I understand where you’re coming from. However, I bought a pair of glasses from Costco with essilor gen 8 trans lenses for $110. There’s no way that a JMM frame, even with better material and Japanese workmanship and labor, costs 8-9x more. There is obscene profit in there even if supply and demand supports it. I’m one of the last red blooded balls to the wall American patriots in these here United States of America, but I just can’t get behind that kind of capitalistic greed.
Well there are many forms of cost. Actually, I am certain JMM frames DO cost far more than the Costco frame - in fact, just in raw labor/material costs, they are probably something like 25-50 times more expensive factoring the handmade nature and the lower efficiency gains though not mass producing.

They also have a much higher marketing budget and their own retail presence, which also justifies their cost.

But then their prices are also much much higher - and considering they sell so much direct to consumer their margin before cogs (cost of goods sold) is probably higher as well. But their revenue is likely much smaller, as Costco will push out millions of frames a year.

All and all, given these differences, you basically have two completely different companies making basically different products to a different market. In this way, comparing Costco glasses to jmm glasses is like comparing ground coffee to a cup of coffee you buy at Starbucks - even though they appear similar, and even though you always could buy ground coffee and save money, the economics aren’t the same.

Last edited:

obecity

Reaction score
This has been a good discussion. I’m going to take some time and think about all this. Get recentered. I have two choices. Accept the prices or try to lobby for lower prices. If I try to lobby, I’m going to write a letter and hopefully have you all sign it with me.

obecity

Reaction score
that's a bit of hypocritical double speak there , you can't be pro red blooded capitalist and be upset at the value that's placed on a product ... with all due respect it just sounds like your salty about what you can afford and what you're wiling to spend . Your $110 Costco product is probably making the same profit as JMM due to mass production and market flood especially at Costco where greed/over indulgence and wholesale prices go hand in hand. If you're that adamant about the price, you should definitely write a strongly worded letter to JMM and while your at it send one to Aston Martin , Tiffany &co Montblanc Kilian and Taran Tactical innovations .... that pit viper should not be $7k ....... with all due respect of course
Yes. I see your point, and I thank you for the rational discussion. (And you don’t want me to go down the rabbit hole of the TT pitviper—different forum bruh.)

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
This has been a good discussion. I’m going to take some time and think about all this. Get recentered. I have two choices. Accept the prices or try to lobby for lower prices. If I try to lobby, I’m going to write a letter and hopefully have you all sign it with me.
Not going to sign that as I believe businesses should be able to set their own prices. If you think they aren’t worth the money, the best thing you can do is move on to another brand. There are plenty - vada, Akoni, ahlem - I sometimes like other brands more than JMM actually because they lack the excess weight and decoration, and honestly the chunky frame thing isn’t the best look most of the time, for most people.

Skanstull

Reaction score
My ears get sore where they touch the temple of my Plaza’s. I don’t think it is a fit issue but just due to the sheer thickness of the temples, making them lightly touch and/or rub against the inside of the ear. I've had them for a week or maybe two.

Has anyone experienced this when starting wearing glasses with thicker temples? Did it go away?

D32169

Reaction score
My ears get sore where they touch the temple of my Plaza’s. I don’t think it is a fit issue but just due to the sheer thickness of the temples, making them lightly touch and/or rub against the inside of the ear. I've had them for a week or maybe two.

Has anyone experienced this when starting wearing glasses with thicker temples? Did it go away?
Have them readjusted until they fit.

ColdinMN

Reaction score

Get them adjusted. It usually takes at least a few temple adjustments for JMM to fit me. If you have a pressure spot, it will likely not go away with constant wearing. Sometimes a frame just doesn’t work and can’t be adjusted enough. Sounds like that’s not the case with you. Good luck.

Skanstull

Reaction score
Get them adjusted. It usually takes at least a few temple adjustments for JMM to fit me. If you have a pressure spot, it will likely not go away with constant wearing. Sometimes a frame just doesn’t work and can’t be adjusted enough. Sounds like that’s not the case with you. Good luck.
Thank you!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently just noticed the price increases on Jacques Marie Mage glasses, sunglasses, and glass and sunglass accessories.

Personally, I feel like the price increases are not large enough, given the fiscal, physical, and emotional labor that Jerome Jacques Marie Mage himself is personally experiencing.

I will be lobbying for a high pricing increase in 2024, as I want to see Jerome Jacques Marie Mage thrive so that he's not just sitting on a regular toilet, and but a golden toilet.

obecity

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently just noticed the price increases on Jacques Marie Mage glasses, sunglasses, and glass and sunglass accessories.

Personally, I feel like the price increases are not large enough, given the fiscal, physical, and emotional labor that Jerome Jacques Marie Mage himself is personally experiencing.

I will be lobbying for a high pricing increase in 2024, as I want to see Jerome Jacques Marie Mage thrive so that he's not just sitting on a regular toilet, and but a golden toilet.
Oh wow. Just…..WOW! Are you serious?! You’re going to sit there and tell me that the price increases are justified?! That they should be higher?! This is the type of dawg dang insanity that contributes to JMM’s whack decisions. It is NOT ok! Just because you may be able to afford higher prices doesn’t mean that no one else of lesser means should be barred from them! I’ve been a fan of JMM since 2019 and member of this forum since oh about page 400, so I’d say have some serious street cred on this. JMM makes enough profit. There needs to be some consideration or a special program for those who work regular jobs, are on fixed/no income, or are retired like me! I helped support this brand when no one knew about it and now I feel like I’ve been kicked to the curb like two day old left over meat loaf!

I just came down off the ledge on this, and you got me all worked up again. This is not ok!

obecity

Reaction score
I had the chance to really read your comment and I think you were being sarcastic. If so, you need to put that disclaimer in beforehand. It causes problems otherwise. Do better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads