• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just received a pair of Devoto's and they are substantially lighter (9mm acetate as opposed to 10mm, not surprising and I don't mind) but they now say handcrafted in Italy on the temples as well as the certificate card. Is this a new thing? All my other JMM are MIJ and the quality certainly shows. The exposed temples show some sort of gunk or glue inside acetate as well. Honestly, pretty disappointing as the quality compared to Dealan's are night and day.

*Updated with some images from mr porter which show the model clearly says handcrafted in Italy but the descriptions still say handcrafted in Japan.

On the JMM website it's stated that the model is made in Italy.
Probably the reason, as well as the lighter acetate, for the lower price.

obecity

Reaction score
Ongoing joke.
Ahhh ok. MB, mb (my bad). I’ve been on this forum since oh about page 400 so maybe the joke originated back during the infancy of this forum. Sometimes the subtle nuance of human communication is lost on electronic bulletin boards like this. Thanks for clarifying. Blessings unto you.

ExAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the JMM website it's stated that the model is made in Italy.
Probably the reason, as well as the lighter acetate, for the lower price.

My question is what is the difference? The certificate it comes with says made in Italy with the signature and on the back it has the circa collection spiel and that it’s subject to the Japanese 300 point process etc but obviously that’s not the case.

So, is the acetate from an Italian factory? Is it “handmade” by slapping on a JMM emblem on a mass produced frame? I’m surprised at the sloppiness and inconsistency.

The glasses are fine but there is a noticeable difference and it’d be nice to know where they cut corners. That they are $600 frames should not matter as they are only about $150 less than their reference standard frames.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I think that frame can work for both men or women. Just my two cents but a lot of people tell me that I’m nearly always correct about stuff like this.

Screenshot_20230822_204526_Instagram.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a nice detail, present on Caan and Belize from the Umit Benan series.

View attachment 2011855

It was also used previously on Sandro and Hickok.

View attachment 2011857 View attachment 2011861

I wouldn't like though to see it on each model. Moreover I doubt that it would prevent a crack in the acetate: as said, you wouldn't simply see it. I would be curious to hear an opinion from
Thanks dudes, appreciate it. I forgot the Belize had it.

Still the nicest frames I've ever held. Fellinis are dope and fit me better, but part of me fiends for them still.

I talked to my local shop and they said it's common for acetate a bit at that part of the temple, and won't get bigger or break on me.

I'll take their word for it and just accept the imperfection.

_AMD

Reaction score
Lol dont think i said it black and white like that but still stand by that brown and leopard spots is more feminine than black frames but hey wear what u like lol
Not to be pedantic, but...

dont understand why JMM doesnt do gold hardware on black frames. hate tortoise. to me tortoise is for women

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question is what is the difference? The certificate it comes with says made in Italy with the signature and on the back it has the circa collection spiel and that it’s subject to the Japanese 300 point process etc but obviously that’s not the case.

So, is the acetate from an Italian factory? Is it “handmade” by slapping on a JMM emblem on a mass produced frame? I’m surprised at the sloppiness and inconsistency.

The glasses are fine but there is a noticeable difference and it’d be nice to know where they cut corners. That they are $600 frames should not matter as they are only about $150 less than their reference standard frames.

I have not the technical competence to answer your question, but I would say that Italian craftsmanship is second to none and the Devoto has the features normally shown on the models made in Japan, thick acetate, 7-barrel hinges, exposed and decorated wirecore. I think that they are produced to the same high standards of their Japanese counterparts.

JMM already used Italian manufacturers, but only on womens lines by far, if I remember correctly.

The difference in price, about €200 for the most models, is not that little to me.

Mr Jay

Reaction score
I have not the technical competence to answer your question, but I would say that Italian craftsmanship is second to none and the Devoto has the features normally shown on the models made in Japan, thick acetate, 7-barrel hinges, exposed and decorated wirecore. I think that they are produced to the same high standards of their Japanese counterparts.

JMM already used Italian manufacturers, but only on womens lines by far, if I remember correctly.

The difference in price, about €200 for the most models, is not that little to me.

I don't know.. Italians do a lot of things masterfully but as for glasses imo:

Made in Japan = Rolls Royce
Made in France = Ferrari
Made in Italy = BMW

Personally if I were JMM I wouldn't bother with MII except for leather cases which are indeed nice

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made in France = Ferrari
Made in Italy = BMW

Personally if I were JMM I wouldn't bother with MII except for leather cases which are indeed nice

Of course there must be a reason if JMM has chosen to have its main production in Japan. It's also a consolidated opinion that that land is the best source for high quality eyewear,

What I want to say is that their frames made in Italy couldn't be so far away from their normal standards. And obviously there is a reason for such a choice.

By the way, did you buy the Dealan Fatigue?

Last edited:

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Stahler? I'd use them as sunglasses with some light brown lens. After the fellini, plaza and dealan it might be nice to have something lighter?

Too meh?

Stahler_Hickory_RX_Front.jpg

Stahler_Hickory_3-4_joredl.jpg

Last edited:

jeaniusog

Reaction score

Made in France = Ferrari
Made in Italy = BMW

Its more about the acetate manufacturers. Japan, Italy and china are the biggest 3. Never heard of france. Japan produces the best quality.

I have a couple LV frames which are “hand made in france” the quality is garbage. Acetate shrink and shrivel in heat when you try to adjust the fit. Probably chinese acetate just assembled in france.

IMG_6632.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads