• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

TR14

Reaction score
How do you like the Harrison frame? It doesn’t seem as though many of us own it here?
I really like them; although, I really do not wear them all too often for a couple of reasons. First, I find them to be more of a summertime frame. I live in the Canadian prairies and the winters are long and miserable. Second, the stock lenses on the Agar are really just fashion tints. So, they don’t block the sun out.

Still really enjoy wearing them on those days I do. They’re light and comfortable. Smaller than I thought they would he width-wise, which I like. I wanted something different and less conservative for my collection. I feel like my younger self would have worn the sh*t out of them. Being almost 40 and bald, I sometimes feel self conscious wearing them. So, have to be in a certain f-it mood. No regrets on them though.

Pakman161

Reaction score
I think it might be illuminating to begin with when we all realized we were interested in eyewear. Did it just begin when you stumbled upon JMM? Do you wear eyewear only as sunglasses, or do you also wear opticals? Lastly, if you do wear other brands, what other brands do you wear, and what do they do better than JMM?

@MícheálfromCDM wishing you a fast and strong recovery from cancer! Lurking in these forums for
guidance and experience has been a value add in my life as I try to add some color in my clothing and apparel.

I was never into eyewear as a kid. I don't think I considered them to be fashion accessories, as much as I considered them functional medical tools. I got made fun of a lot in school for wearing glasses. The particular one of "four eyes" really stuck with me for a long time. Add to that being Asian, and you can surmise where that goes from elementary to middle school. I did everything in my power to get into contacts lens once I got into high school. Kids started changing their view of me once that happened, so it became a positive reinforcement. My parents owned a small business, and health insurance benefits were always at a premium out of pocket. So, I always got the easiest they could afford which doesn't always correlate to something that fits your face.

Fast forward about 15 years with a little more money in my pocket, and I'm starting to rethink who I am and what how the frames are a part of who I am. I'm not 100% sure why I'm diverting back to glasses. I think some of it is to instill in my 2 young kids that you are who you are, and you should be proud of it - flaws and all. Some of it may be to add a hobby in my life. I spend most of my days working and corralling my 2 kids, with my partner. I think I just need a small escape and it's fun to mix and match clothes with glasses when I am out running errands.

I am not completely married to JMM, but I can easily see the appeal. I like diversity, and other brands add something of their own that JMM cannot replicate. Matsuda for me is my go-to for everyday wear. It's elegant, well built, and conservative. Oliver peoples is a classic vintage vibe with west coast flair. Alot of my clothes fit with that ethos. I think of Panto when I think of Oliver Peoples. All are well built in my view; the key is keeping them maintained, cleaned, and treated as if they were an investment. For me, JMM is a few things:

1.) Quality - I think there is a resounding agreement in this thread about that. To some degree, it seems a bit over-engineered,
2.) Unique - Bold but still within reason. I think JMM' frames for me are not your everyday wear frames. They seem to demand the appropriate outfit to really maximize your presentation,
3.) Marketing and Business - There's a story to practically every frame. I like products with a story and how that interacts with the customer, as well as who they support in their business mission.

After selling off a few Molino's because they didn't work, I just added the Belize in Tokyo Tort and I think they work for me, but maybe the folks in this thread could say yes/no? I'll take it as objective!

My well wishes Michael, and thanks for having me, and your opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_3776.jpg
    IMG_3776.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3777.jpg
    IMG_3777.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3780.jpg
    IMG_3780.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3778.jpg
    IMG_3778.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 148

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
My first post on SF was asking about either Tom Ford Pablos or Brad aviators back in 2011. I then slowly graduated to C&G and then their Margiela Collab/Cartier and then the Margiela Collab with Mykita which were so light they would be ripped from my face at the beach. I found JMM because of the VT Ascari and the rest is history

Still love my Pablos though I don’t know if TF made his early eyewear at Marcolin or not but the older frames were nicer/more creative. I pretty much get two pairs in one on vacations. I would love to see JMM try something like this out

D7CFC798-9563-45F3-9BB6-1F2AE577992B.jpeg

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it might be illuminating to begin with when we all realized we were interested in eyewear. Did it just begin when you stumbled upon JMM? Do you wear eyewear only as sunglasses, or do you also wear opticals? Lastly, if you do wear other brands, what other brands do you wear, and what do they do better than JMM?

@MícheálfromCDM wishing you a fast and strong recovery from cancer! Lurking in these forums for
guidance and experience has been a value add in my life as I try to add some color in my clothing and apparel.

I was never into eyewear as a kid. I don't think I considered them to be fashion accessories, as much as I considered them functional medical tools. I got made fun of a lot in school for wearing glasses. The particular one of "four eyes" really stuck with me for a long time. Add to that being Asian, and you can surmise where that goes from elementary to middle school. I did everything in my power to get into contacts lens once I got into high school. Kids started changing their view of me once that happened, so it became a positive reinforcement. My parents owned a small business, and health insurance benefits were always at a premium out of pocket. So, I always got the easiest they could afford which doesn't always correlate to something that fits your face.

Fast forward about 15 years with a little more money in my pocket, and I'm starting to rethink who I am and what how the frames are a part of who I am. I'm not 100% sure why I'm diverting back to glasses. I think some of it is to instill in my 2 young kids that you are who you are, and you should be proud of it - flaws and all. Some of it may be to add a hobby in my life. I spend most of my days working and corralling my 2 kids, with my partner. I think I just need a small escape and it's fun to mix and match clothes with glasses when I am out running errands.

I am not completely married to JMM, but I can easily see the appeal. I like diversity, and other brands add something of their own that JMM cannot replicate. Matsuda for me is my go-to for everyday wear. It's elegant, well built, and conservative. Oliver peoples is a classic vintage vibe with west coast flair. Alot of my clothes fit with that ethos. I think of Panto when I think of Oliver Peoples. All are well built in my view; the key is keeping them maintained, cleaned, and treated as if they were an investment. For me, JMM is a few things:

1.) Quality - I think there is a resounding agreement in this thread about that. To some degree, it seems a bit over-engineered,
2.) Unique - Bold but still within reason. I think JMM' frames for me are not your everyday wear frames. They seem to demand the appropriate outfit to really maximize your presentation,
3.) Marketing and Business - There's a story to practically every frame. I like products with a story and how that interacts with the customer, as well as who they support in their business mission.

After selling off a few Molino's because they didn't work, I just added the Belize in Tokyo Tort and I think they work for me, but maybe the folks in this thread could say yes/no? I'll take it as objective!

Thank you for your thoughts. Tbh they look a bit big to me for your face/facial structure and styling. Just my 2c!

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there supposed to be gap between the glasses and top of nose/bridge like that? fwiw my wife tried on some JMM sunglasses and didn't like because she has a typical lack of bridge on asian face. She ordered instead from Nacky, having been fit by him for opticals.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I only gained an interest in eyewear last year. I’ve never had to wear a prescription and the limited sunglasses I tried over the years didn’t have enough appeal. I love the idea of an accessory being associated with a person and especially heirlooms. “These were my dads sunglasses” “my uncle gave me this lighter he always carried it” “this was my grandfathers pen”. With how robust of product JMM is it was a no brained I was going to seek them out. Though JMM is my favorite, through them I’ve found out how much I enjoy eyewear. Along with a few pair of JMM I picked up last year I also bought these deadstock Randolph aviators with mineral glass lenses that I wear as much as my prized Taos. As well as these Oliver Peoples for TheSoloist.
A56BD141-E2E2-48D3-BF97-E0C55E3F1364.jpeg
8C9A2ED4-D05F-4801-B40E-0A7732607AC3.jpeg

A few weeks ago I went to a local shop I had not been to. They had a pair of Beauregards and while they made me feel a bit like Anya Taylor Joy with how narrow the lenses are I think they will be my next purchase.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Belize look somewhat too large on you in my eyes, not to the extent that you couldn't wear them, but still. This said, you are the final judge, if you feel them, then wear them.

obecity

Reaction score
Tomorrow I will get the results of a recent CT Scan that will inform the oncologist of where we go next. So, tomorrow may be my last Chemo infusion. I am told there was a large department meeting wherein my case was discussed, and the surgeon and oncologist were enthusiastic about my progress, that I appeared to be ahead of schedule, was beating expectation, and should I survive the hospital would like to interview me on a podcast and use me in some marketing materials. That leaves me hopeful, but I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, I just need to be in the moment and take each day as it comes.

Thank you for the well wishes.

You appear to wear frames very well, and not only do I believe you could wear most of JMM if you had no hair at all, but I bet you’ll have nearly the same amount of hair 20 years hence.

Thank you again!
I wish you inner strength in dealing with your diagnosis and treatment. It is a very difficult road. I don’t know if you’re a religious person, but I will say a prayer for you tonight. You seem like a very nice person based on your postings here, and my prayer is the only way I can think of to help you.

obecity

Reaction score
Speaking of Eyewear Anonymous, I bought that Reynold that just ended on the 'Bay. Anyone here get the Bandit?
I bought the Bandit in JPS about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago without even knowing what they were until I officially discovered the following year what JMM was and how much I loved the products. The Bandits are among my most liked sunglasses in my collection including Cartier, Chrome Hearts, and Leisure Society.

Valfunde

Reaction score
I wanted to hold out for the new LF collection and I just wanted to visit the new Hollywood store for funsies, but that definitely backfired.

Picked up an Orion Pasolini today.
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, if only I wasn't so lazy to swing by their place when I was still in Socal. Looking good. Surprised they still have Pasolinis in stock though.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel like they may be a little too big for you. It might be the sheer size alone, but it could also be your softer features. I almost feel like these need to be worn by Rip from Yellowstone to fit best 😂

While they’re just a little large on @OccultaVexillum, he gets away with it due to his facial hair and overall appearance.

That said, Belize is stunning and I’m so tempted to grab a pair myself while I can. I just don’t think they will look good on a thumb head like mine.

elisiX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wanted to hold out for the new LF collection and I just wanted to visit the new Hollywood store for funsies, but that definitely backfired.

Picked up an Orion Pasolini today.

These look insane. So nice. Surprised you found a pair in store.

Still pinching myself for not buying them when I had the chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads