• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacques Marie Mage - Wolves, Obnoxious Acetate and The American Dream

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am genuinely sorry for missing your celebration. I very much enjoy this thread, and I bet I am not alone. I missed your event because I had an appointment with my new surgeon at The City of Hope, (if you are unfamiliar with The City of Hope, it is a cutting edge cancer hospital/research institute. I have been feeling off for some weeks because I had an MRI, and the pressure of waiting for the results was a bit crushing. You know, I was released from my 75 day hospital stay just shy of a year now, and I was told I had a 95% chance at being cured of my cancer, an unusual outcome for those with my cancer. I was discharged with an enormous open wound running straight down my torso, as it was the surgeon’s contention that my skin knitting together naturally would make the closed wound stronger. I tell you this because having an open wound delayed my chemotherapy.

As I went through chemotherapy, my oncologist told me I was absolutely neating my cancer to a pulp, and he remained confident. He repeated this every other week at our appointments, all the way to my last chemo infusion. After my last chemo infusion, a CT Scan was ordered so my oncologist could examine the images to look for signs of new cancer. There was no new cancer, but two micro lesions troubled him, and during my appointment to go over the CT Scan images, he told me he revised my odds of survival to 10%, and that was if I went through a dangerous surgery. The other option was to continue on a chemotherapy regime, and that might enable me to eek out two years of life.

So, you see, waiting for the MRI results was rather nerve wracking, and my surgeon was in Europe, so I needed to wait out his return. I finally met with him Saturday for the prognosis.

My surgeon is world renowned, and I really cannot begin to express my gratitude for stumbling upon him, and getting him to take me on. He told me that I could choose chemotherapy, immunotherapy, clinical tests and extend my life that way, but I would be living with a fatal cancer hanging over me. The surgery is intimidating, rather Mary Shellyesque, something she may had conjured for her infamous novel, “Frankenstein.” It will require surrendering a body part I have grown quite accustomed to, and it is a very long surgery that will address a number of pressing issues, but he is confident, and though nothing is 100% certain, it would most likely free me of concer completely, providing me with a cancer free life.

I look at it this way: not everyone gets a chance to beat cancer, to banish it completely, and many would be so very thankful for such an opportunity. And anyone with cancer can surrender to it and die. Few get to fight cancer, and some die in the process, and fewer get to fight cancer and beat it.

It is a road less travelled that few get to journey through, and I believe it is the road I wish to journey through. Many of you have become friends, and I appreciate you all, so I wanted to update you with what I believe is very good news, despite the fact that it is a little frightening.

Thank you for your patience with me, and for all your encouragement. I domhave so e eyewear news, and will post that soon. Have a great week!

Whenever I read of your terrible and frightening experience, I feel frivolous in speaking of irrelevant eyewear, but knowing that you appreciate it and that it can be a welcome relief makes me more comfortable, thus I'll keep on doing it.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it’s important to go after what you like/want regardless of the “grail” status some models might have, that should have zero bearing on your purchase decisions, unless you’re in the business of reselling.

For example those PCH look gorgeous but aren’t my style, and I dare say that in that acetate aviator style I’d prefer the hickory Grand Prix, but I’m a little obsessed about hickory at the moment so who knows. I think I’d end up looking for some vintage Carreras like the ones my dad used to wear in the 80s, for the nostalgia factor.

Or the vintage tort Ascari, totally not my style.

I was looking for hickory Taos and I know the root beer ones are the “grails” but I’d take hickory over those any time (I prefer a true brown over orange-ish).

So yeah all this to say that don’t let the Internet tell you what to buy, I learnt the hard way that it doesn’t work. I’ve been disappointed pretty much every time I bought Internet-approved (SF-approved, mostly) stuff.

From a fan and collector's point I totally agree, you have to look for something that suits and fits you, not what's on the hype.

If you are in the second market as a reseller instead, and I presume it's a quite thriving trade, you have to hunt the most coveted models, in order to make a good profit.

I love the Ascari and the Vintage Tort is one of the most appealing colourways, so I clearly would go above the retail price (the current one for a JMM frame) for a pristine pair.

On the contrary, I don't like at all the P.C.H. (Rodeo, etc), so I would't buy them even at a good price .

The Grand Prix is quite attractive and really resembles those old Carreras.

Grand Prix Dark Havana, from Facebook.

Screenshot (757).png

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think buying glasses as an investment a really silly strategy. Most frames sell for under retail still, and even desired frames usually are only selling for a few hundred dollars more. Yes, jmm does hold its value exceptionally well compared to other glasses, which is nice for the user, but it’s not worth the time for what will likely be a loss.

I bought a Hemmings rover recently which I am certain will be desired as they only made 50. I returned it as it’s too big for me. Even if they do sell for a few hundred dollars more, it’s not worth my time trying to sell it. Margins just aren’t high enough. Remember that most retailers are selling things at 40-50% margins minimum, and often far higher.

I'm a collector and also have your point in buying frames: I always purchase what I like and think could fit me, never considering a potential sale with profit. And by far I never sold a single piece. It would also bother me putting something on a buy/sell platform.

On the other hand, I have understanding for those who are active in the second market and try to make a profit. As already said, people collect wines, watches, paintings, etc, and where is demand, there is also the possibility to make profit.

obecity

Reaction score
I am genuinely sorry for missing your celebration. I very much enjoy this thread, and I bet I am not alone. I missed your event because I had an appointment with my new surgeon at The City of Hope, (if you are unfamiliar with The City of Hope, it is a cutting edge cancer hospital/research institute. I have been feeling off for some weeks because I had an MRI, and the pressure of waiting for the results was a bit crushing. You know, I was released from my 75 day hospital stay just shy of a year now, and I was told I had a 95% chance at being cured of my cancer, an unusual outcome for those with my cancer. I was discharged with an enormous open wound running straight down my torso, as it was the surgeon’s contention that my skin knitting together naturally would make the closed wound stronger. I tell you this because having an open wound delayed my chemotherapy.

As I went through chemotherapy, my oncologist told me I was absolutely neating my cancer to a pulp, and he remained confident. He repeated this every other week at our appointments, all the way to my last chemo infusion. After my last chemo infusion, a CT Scan was ordered so my oncologist could examine the images to look for signs of new cancer. There was no new cancer, but two micro lesions troubled him, and during my appointment to go over the CT Scan images, he told me he revised my odds of survival to 10%, and that was if I went through a dangerous surgery. The other option was to continue on a chemotherapy regime, and that might enable me to eek out two years of life.

So, you see, waiting for the MRI results was rather nerve wracking, and my surgeon was in Europe, so I needed to wait out his return. I finally met with him Saturday for the prognosis.

My surgeon is world renowned, and I really cannot begin to express my gratitude for stumbling upon him, and getting him to take me on. He told me that I could choose chemotherapy, immunotherapy, clinical tests and extend my life that way, but I would be living with a fatal cancer hanging over me. The surgery is intimidating, rather Mary Shellyesque, something she may had conjured for her infamous novel, “Frankenstein.” It will require surrendering a body part I have grown quite accustomed to, and it is a very long surgery that will address a number of pressing issues, but he is confident, and though nothing is 100% certain, it would most likely free me of concer completely, providing me with a cancer free life.

I look at it this way: not everyone gets a chance to beat cancer, to banish it completely, and many would be so very thankful for such an opportunity. And anyone with cancer can surrender to it and die. Few get to fight cancer, and some die in the process, and fewer get to fight cancer and beat it.

It is a road less travelled that few get to journey through, and I believe it is the road I wish to journey through. Many of you have become friends, and I appreciate you all, so I wanted to update you with what I believe is very good news, despite the fact that it is a little frightening.

Thank you for your patience with me, and for all your encouragement. I domhave so e eyewear news, and will post that soon. Have a great week!
The positive attitude and kindness you maintain while facing such a difficult journey is inspiring. I mean that with all my respect and sincerity. I wish you the best, and I will keep you in my prayers for good outcomes.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does anyone have a pic wearing the Ashcroft prime? cool color, but it seems like there isn’t a single real world pic of it on the web for whatever reason
Have a look back a couple of pages. I posted pics of mine on arrival, and then when I replaced the grey gradients with purple flash lenses.

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
Whenever I read of your terrible and frightening experience, I feel frivolous in speaking of irrelevant eyewear, but knowing that you appreciate it and that it can be a welcome relief makes me more comfortable, thus I'll keep on doing it.
I do enjoy reading everyone’s postings, and I encourage you to engage it the things that bring a smile to your…eyes! Thank you for your posts and insights.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Added a bit of color to my collection :cool:

View attachment 2019983
You just got these? They look great on you.

I got number 45 out of 50 direct from JMM on the day they went on sale. They must be hard to come by these days.

Unlike Dorian I love the colour. Royal blue is my favourite colour and I have a lot of clothes in that range so getting these was a no brainer for me. Wish they’d use it more often, I got tired of them using colour names like ‘Royal’ and ‘Marine’ that were barely distinguishable from black.

I was wearing mine when I nipped into Visionary Optics recently and the two lads working there recognised them immediately.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do enjoy reading everyone’s postings, and I encourage you to engage it the things that bring a smile to your…eyes! Thank you for your posts and insights.
Yeah best of luck on your journey Michael. You have a tough road in life but we hope you make it through OK.

MícheálfromCDM

Reaction score
Hello Mícheál, I send you all my strength 💪, you are an incredible, positive fighter!
Really and example, you have a huge power inside!
Very pleased to get to know you here, smth else that we have to thank JMM ;)
Looking forward those 🕶️ news!
Thank you for your very kind words, I appreciate them so much.

fmvazquez

Reaction score
You just got these? They look great on you.

I got number 45 out of 50 direct from JMM on the day they went on sale. They must be hard to come by these days.

Unlike Dorian I love the colour. Royal blue is my favourite colour and I have a lot of clothes in that range so getting these was a no brainer for me. Wish they’d use it more often, I got tired of them using colour names like ‘Royal’ and ‘Marine’ that were barely distinguishable from black.

I was wearing mine when I nipped into Visionary Optics recently and the two lads working there recognised them immediately.
Honestly I was also a bit reticent about blue, but started with Marine, and now Cobalt.
I am really starting to enjoy the blue, with the proper outfit they turn awesome. Browns are still my favorites but when your collection does already a volume I find it interesting to add some color.

I remember what you said about your visit to VO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads