• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Spring/Summer 2011 Discussion

Andrew V.

Reaction score
They're cut low in front where you don't need height and they're not too low in back where you need them to stay up and not slip under your feet. Plus they're a little stretchy without losing their shape, and they keep my feet comfortable - they don't seem to get hot and sweaty or cold and damp.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kmdsimpson
You're gonna destroy your beloved new shoes doing that...

ive heard stories, I need to find some good no show socks. Prob gonna try out the banana republic ones but they look the same as the jcrew ones I have. I wear a size 8 so they'll prob be too big.

I also bought some Allen Edmonds cedar shoe trees, going to wear them tomorrow with no socks but get some foot powder and what other precautions I can take

flytothesky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bond111
Need some opinions on the fit of this shawl cardigan(xs). Not sure if it's too small looking on me. I think it fits right on, but my wife thinks it's too small. You can see in the first pic the bottom hits right at the top of my front pocket. I have the same thing in a small in beige and thought it was just a little too big in some areas.
DSC00296.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00294.jpg

it looks perfect on you..... If you sized up one it would be too long and the sleeves will be too long as well

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
Picked up the St James long sleeve shirt via on-line to satisfy my curiosity. Wow, I've never thought an item looked so cool on a model and then looked so wrong on me. I could never pull this one off. Dont even know the words to describe what I looked like. Just plain wrong. I guess its a French thing.
Originally Posted by imposter2012
I tried that thing on too and it's horrible. It's odd because I was between sizes, but either way it still looked boxy. Definitely not worth it.
Originally Posted by trunks206
I had the exact same issue. It looked so good on the mannequin but looked like **** when I tried it on....plus its super expensive.
+1 to all of this. I bought one this winter and absolutely hated it. Fit is true ****, and quality seemed off to me too. Neck is disgustingly huge too. Major disappointment, as they are pretty cool looking.
Originally Posted by medugal
I'm having trouble finding any J Crew selvedge from a couple years ago online (black selvedge)- do you think if I phoned up J Crew's CS they might have any on hand, or am I SOL? For content: I've found the latest selvedge offerings from J Crew to be unappealing. I really don't want to wear overpriced Levis. A lot of the features that I look for in denim J Crew offers from their own stock, such as subtle crinkle wash, printed pockets, canvas lined button fly, leather washer buttons, selvedge-lined 5th pocket (I know I know).
Yo, I love the Crew, but wtf would you buy their selvedge denim? So many better options out there for the price point...
I would say that unless you going for a specific slim look, it is too small. A sweater like that should not look stretched when you are wearing it (the buttons look like they are pulling and the sleeves look skin tight). Plus you should have room to layer more than just a t-shirt under it. My opinion might not be the SF/J Crew thread norm, though.
Agreed. fit looks a little snug with just a tee underneath, if you try to rock a button down underneath it won't be pretty. I would exchange it for a medium. Or - if you want to get this small of your hands - PM me.
Originally Posted by phaseshift
here it is....
bigstar[1].gif
ogw2o8.jpg
I got some loafer socks from Jcrew but they seem to ride up so you can see them, any recommendations on another brand?

Damn these look good. These are the cement color, I am assuming? Will be copping soon... J. Crew is really impressing me with the shoe offerings as of late, both from the J. Crew line and Alden, Quoddy, etc. I think it's the strongest part of the S/S 11 collection.
You're gonna destroy your beloved new shoes doing that...
I wear my Aldens sockless all the time - use baby powder, shoe horns when putting on, and shoe trees, and you won't have problems. I hate socks though...
Originally Posted by poly800rock
Those suede Alden boots will be mine. Love those things!
Save your some $62 and buy straight from Alden, nothing special about the J. Crew ones. Here: http://aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=90 I think the color you are looking for is dark brown suede...

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1492 that you linked and the jcrew shoe are not the same.

Leydon vs Barrie
Single Flex vs Double leather
Brown Suede vs Brown Reverse Chamois

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phaseshift
here it is....
bigstar[1].gif

ogw2o8.jpg

I got some loafer socks from Jcrew but they seem to ride up so you can see them, any recommendations on another brand?

Your picture looks better than J Crew's own. I want to dislike these on principle, because I hate the way J Crew puts their brand on things and jacks up the price, but I can't find something equivalent anywhere. Good buy. They will look great.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsoren
Well, I feel like a dumbass. My bad. I was purely going off of looks...

yeah, looking for the full boot.

phaseshift

Reaction score

Damn these look good. These are the cement color, I am assuming? Will be copping soon...

J. Crew is really impressing me with the shoe offerings as of late, both from the J. Crew line and Alden, Quoddy, etc. I think it's the strongest part of the S/S 11 collection.

I wear my Aldens sockless all the time - use baby powder, shoe horns when putting on, and shoe trees, and you won't have problems. I hate socks though...

Yup these are the cement colored ones, I can't stop looking at them haha, I've been trying them on with all my wardrobe...which consist of J crew LOL so no wonder they all look good with it. But this are not white bucks, they are more...light greyish color which looks amazing. I saw these and I had to have them, I didn't to settle for a cheaper alternative that was white bucks as these are different in color.

Anywho I've never gone sockless, but I'm willing to try it out, I just got some Oder Eaters Foot and Sneaker Spray , i was reading

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/06/17...ge-1/#comments

and he suggested the Oder Eaters as an alternative to baby powder. I also got some Allen Edmonds shoe trees, not too expensive and had good reviews at Amazon included with Prime Next Day shipping so I bit.

phaseshift

Reaction score
Your picture looks better than J Crew's own. I want to dislike these on principle, because I hate the way J Crew puts their brand on things and jacks up the price, but I can't find something equivalent anywhere. Good buy. They will look great.

I know what you mean, but I couldn't find this color anywhere else where the bucks were cheaper like LL beans or Brockton. These are not white at all, more very light grey, so I just went for it...comfortable as hell!

david3558

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought you should know that the 20% off (unique code) given in the catalogs works on everything, including Aldens. Jump on board now! It won't work with a free shipping code but I got a $605 boot for $484.

adambz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the discount codes if you just get the men's section of the catalog? That's all the send me, and I've never gotten a code.

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by david3558
Hey everyone, just thought you should know that the 20% off (unique code) given in the catalogs works on everything, including Aldens. Jump on board now! It won't work with a free shipping code but I got a $605 boot for $484.

How do they decide who gets one of these? I drop fat stacks at the Crew and have yet to receive one...
devil.gif

david3558

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambz
Does anyone know if it's possible to get the discount codes if you just get the men's section of the catalog? That's all the send me, and I've never gotten a code.

No, only in the general J.Crew catalog, should sign up for it!

How do they decide who gets one of these? I drop fat stacks at the Crew and have yet to receive one...
devil.gif

It's just in the standard J.Crew catalog, I almost threw it away until I tested it out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads