• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew S/S 09 Discussion

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by andychen
anyone can give me some measurements of the repp polo for medium tailored fit and small original fit? I got some small tailored fit ones and they are a little tight on me, so I am thinking about other sizes.

Call J. Crew customer service. That have that info at their fingertips.

andychen

Reaction score
yeah, right, I forgot they have the info. Thank you!

I remember you said you got some size S tailored fit repp polo, how do they fit on you? My chest is only 35" and I feel they are a little tight, and if they thrink, I may not be able to wear them.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nope, not me. I got mine in L. I'm 6'1" and about 185, about 42-43 in the chest. The Large tailored repp fits me perfectly.

Trust the measurements you get from J. Crew when deciding your size. I find that in almost everything I wear by J. Crew, my measurements fall into the range that they consider Large and every item in their L fits me very well.

hi-val

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
^ Regarding the Slim-fit lightweight chino pant:

For all this talk about J.Crew slim chino's having large thighs and still not being slim enough for SF standards (myself included), no one other than Teger has pulled the trigger on these and able to provide some updates? I will probably purchase it soon, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can speak on them before I do? Gracias.

EDIT: And what is this "red card" again?

In their catalog, they also list a size as "urban slim" which is supposed to be slimmer than "classic" cut. I don't know if it's on their website but it may be worth giving them a call about.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Regarding the Slim-fit lightweight chino pant:

For all this talk about J.Crew slim chino's having large thighs and still not being slim enough for SF standards (myself included), no one other than Teger has pulled the trigger on these and able to provide some updates? I will probably purchase it soon, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can speak on them before I do? Gracias.

EDIT: And what is this "red card" again?

The Red Card is a 25% off card sent by J Crew, 25% off anything in store for the month of April. It comes with a nice little letter signed by Mickey.

wallpaper

Reaction score
I also bought a pair of the urban slim fit chinos, and I agree that they are too big in the thighs. I will probably take them to a tailor to see if he can fix them.

Does anyone know if the Rugby university chinos are as slim as the urban slim fit chinos at J. Crew?

andychen

Reaction score
sorry, my mistake.

Do they shrink much using cold water wash and low heat drying? Thanks

Originally Posted by Robert
Nope, not me. I got mine in L. I'm 6'1" and about 185, about 42-43 in the chest. The Large tailored repp fits me perfectly.

Trust the measurements you get from J. Crew when deciding your size. I find that in almost everything I wear by J. Crew, my measurements fall into the range that they consider Large and every item in their L fits me very well.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wallpaper
I also bought a pair of the urban slim fit chinos, and I agree that they are too big in the thighs. I will probably take them to a tailor to see if he can fix them.

Does anyone know if the Rugby university chinos are as slim as the urban slim fit chinos at J. Crew?

they're slimmer. in general, rugby makes nicer stuff than the other mall brands.

raginberriodoom

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sazon
The Red Card is a 25% off card sent by J Crew, 25% off anything in store for the month of April. It comes with a nice little letter signed by Mickey.

How do you get a red card? Do you have to sign up for a J Crew credit card?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
They randomly sent them to people who have shopped with them in the past and they consider to be among "their best customers"...no need to have a j. crew card, although it can't hurt. I spent a few hundred there last year, have a j. crew card, and I did not receive one.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Regarding the Slim-fit lightweight chino pant: For all this talk about J.Crew slim chino's having large thighs and still not being slim enough for SF standards (myself included), no one other than Teger has pulled the trigger on these and able to provide some updates? I will probably purchase it soon, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can speak on them before I do? Gracias. EDIT: And what is this "red card" again?
I have posted pictures and measurements in this thread. I don't have any complaints about the thighs, but the seat is a bit too generous. Then again, I have no ass. Measurments for size 30: Leg opening: 7.25 Waist: 15.5 Rise: 10.5

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
those are the urabn slim fit chinos tho? we are talking about something different

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought people were talking about the slim-fit. There is the giant fit, the regular fit, the classic fit, and the slim-fit. The ones I'm wearing there are the "urban" slim-fit. I have also tried on the slim-fit lightweight and the fit seemed similiar if not quite identical to the urban variety. Is there yet another species of slim-fit out there?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I thought people were talking about the slim-fit. There is the giant fit, the regular fit, the classic fit, and the slim-fit. The ones I'm wearing there are the "urban" slim-fit. I have also tried on the slim-fit lightweight and the fit seemed similiar if not quite identical to the urban variety. Is there yet another species of slim-fit out there?
Yeah, they're talking about the light-slim, which is what Teger ordered, I'm pretty sure. Were they really the same? Doesn't seem to make sense...based on the J Crew site pictures they don't seem as slim and I guess the closure is different? Also I think the urban slim-fits are not "classified" as "light weight" or whatever, who knows if any of that "means anything".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads