• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rollneck and turtleneck arrived today. Awesome, both. The cashmere tneck is sleek while still comfy, not too small, not too big. Perfect. I feel like Steve McQueen or a really cool spy. Sort of like this.

I have been reading some advice lately, by the way, how a nice turtleneck is a good "tie-less" alternative with a blazer or even a suit.

Rollneck is awesome in a different way. It's a little bigger in fit, very vintage looking, like a Submariner turtleneck. The "bigness" is appropriate here as it gives it that rugged North Sea look. The fit is a bit like this, except mine does not fall quite as much off the shoulder at the seams. And it is a "roll neck" of the sort that is sort of New England or Ivy League (what makes this confusing is that the Brits call turtlenecks rollnecks, where as we Americans tend to call these roll-necky things, well, rolllnecks and turtlenecks turtlenecks.

For size reference, for both sweaters, I ordered a medium. I am 6.1 and 185 pounds with relatively fit frame. 42R in jackets, 33 waist in trousers.

Last edited:

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I think so too. At the same time, I might do this under a more casual jacket, say, under a rain coat of some kind. But yeah, the blazer combo is just off.

milesbeyond

Reaction score
Went on the website today to look for the buffalo check cpo shirt. The are advertising it as final sale but the 30% off code doesn't work. I asked the SA and she said it is an error and it isn't final sale. Kinda annoyed, I won't pay $188 for it but I really like that shirt and can't find a similar style anywhere for the price. Does anyone here have for a S or XS who wants to part with it?
I saw this too. Just chatted with a sales associate online and she said they would honor it for me. Was still sort of on the fence about buying it though. Anyone willing to push me over the edge? Been looking for a dependable overshirt. From the sounds of it, seems like the check is more navy than black (which I would prefer) but the one person's review on it here said the wool was pretty itchy. Wool doesn't bother me a whole lot, but with it being final sale, just want to get as much info as I can.

Arnold Grape

Reaction score
I saw this too. Just chatted with a sales associate online and she said they would honor it for me. Was still sort of on the fence about buying it though. Anyone willing to push me over the edge? Been looking for a dependable overshirt. From the sounds of it, seems like the check is more navy than black (which I would prefer) but the one person's review on it here said the wool was pretty itchy. Wool doesn't bother me a whole lot, but with it being final sale, just want to get as much info as I can.

The WB Black Watch work shirt is way better-looking, and more expensive--although, I've seen that on sale, too. Maybe a matter of preference, but the classic CPO Black/ Navy check is played.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hardly ever buy anything final sale unless I am very certain that I will like it--given the no-return policy. This means only things I am certain will fit right and feel right, etc., usually those things that I've tried on in the store or that are similar to other item I have. For example, I pretty much know that a medium sweater is going to fit a certain way all the time, etc.

So if you're not sure about the buffalo check shirt, I say pass.

zxu426

Reaction score
Scored the detachable hood for my Barbour Beaufort for $29.99 last week. Arrived today. Hell yeah.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads