• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a question about the Thomas Mason Shirts. Does Thomas Mason make these shirts? Or just the fabric? If they just make the fabric, does J.Crew just then turn and have the shirts made in the same factories as their other dress shirts? Sorry for the confusion, just trying to understand the differences.

J Crew buys the fabric from the Thomas Mason label maker (Albini) in Italy. J Crew assembles the shirt themselves.

As for the factory, I can't say for sure if its the same as their other dress shirts, but to me, the fit is the same. And both lines say "made in Mauritius", so it very well could be.

The Thomas Mason fabric is quite nice though, IMO. I'm in love with them.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
What is the general opinion on the Ludlow sport coats? I am in the market for a casual herringbone sport coat to wear with jeans/chinos/etc. Nothing super fancy...just a nice casual jacket that can get rumpled up and tossed around for that nice worn in look over time. (https://www.jcrew.com/checkout2/sho...Hash=a1c2d2f1d7ead220b019625e98317addf8625aee)

I recently purchased a navy Hugo Boss "the sweet" jacket (http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Slim-F...S,pd.html&cgid=21200#!i=5&color=401_Dark-Blue) in 36S that fits me perfectly and surprisingly didn't require any alterations but that is for nicer occasions. I'm about 5'-8" / 145 lbs. I'm thinking the Ludlow might fit similarly as it's a slim cut jacket.

Do they ever go on sale?

Any other recommendations on a nice quality herringbone jacket? Thanks!

Last edited:

Coopa

Reaction score
What is the general opinion on the Ludlow sport coats? I am in the market for a casual herringbone sport coat to wear with jeans/chinos/etc. Nothing super fancy...just a nice casual jacket that can get rumpled up and tossed around for that nice worn in look over time. (https://www.jcrew.com/checkout2/sho...Hash=a1c2d2f1d7ead220b019625e98317addf8625aee)

I recently purchased a navy Hugo Boss "the sweet" jacket (http://store-us.hugoboss.com/Slim-F...S,pd.html&cgid=21200#!i=5&color=401_Dark-Blue) in 36S that fits me perfectly and surprisingly didn't require any alterations but that is for nicer occasions. I'm about 5'-8" / 145 lbs. I'm thinking the Ludlow might fit similarly as it's a slim cut jacket.

Do they ever go on sale?

Any other recommendations on a nice quality herringbone jacket? Thanks!

I like the ones i have/had. But, i never did nor would buy one at retail. If you are flexible on the color and/or style, you can score good deals on ebay. I've saved several hundred that way. They do go on sale. There are a handful in the sale section now with an additional 30% off. Just keep checking the sale section every morning when they add new inventory.

Last edited:

BigC222

Reaction score

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The non Wallace Barnes one has a smaller check.

It's also a much nice shirt IMO. Very nice oxford with nice buttons (I'm a button fanatic). A buffalo check you can dress up or down. I think I got it for about $20 on sale at my local store, but that was just lucking out on a return.

The CPO shirt as I mentioned in this thread had IMO poor wool. Look of it was nice and that too had nice buttons, but uncomfortable wool and wool doesn't bug me like it does many people. Of course at the price somebody here just got it at it's not bad.

sdedalus1

Reaction score

Hey guys, I was wondering - how is the fit of their 484 chinos:
http://www.jcrew.com/mens_special_sizes/slim/PRDOVR~48447/48447.jsp
in comparison to Levi's 510s?
Also, dumb question, but do their chinos stretch?

my sun faded 484s fit like levis 511. even though the leg opening is 7" on 484s vs. 6.5 on levis, the 484s seem if anything slightly skinnier than 511 elsewhere--but not as plastered on as 510 (which i find too clingy and tight w/the spandex, even though i'm very skinny). waist sizing is same as to very slightly larger than levis.

they are 100% cotton and a bit thin, so they have some stretch/give to them (more than denim). unless you're asking if they shrink in the wash, in which case Big answered your question.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't bought the 484 chinos but I have ones in the urban slim so I can answer your second question. I had mine for 7 months and I haven't had any stretching with them even after washes. 

Really? That's interesting. I own several pairs of their urban slim broken-in chinos, and have always felt like they stretched a lot after a few wears. In fact, I've been going down one size in the pairs that I've been purchasing recently in order to account for the perceived stretch.

Last edited:

tommyhk

Reaction score
I have to agree with jslade ^^^

I have a few pairs of the urban slim broken-in chinos and find they get noticeably looser after 3+ wears. Nothing a wash doesn't fix but still something to take into account.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads