• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 2012

zxu426

Reaction score
What's your weight and build? If you're not jacked or on the chubby side, I suggest you go with their slim shirts.

vents

Reaction score
What's your weight and build? If you're not jacked or on the chubby side, I suggest you go with their slim shirts.

Their size small actually fits better than slim small. All the measurement is same between S and slim S except the length of the shirt.

I dunno, maybe is just me.

Last edited:

zxu426

Reaction score
Their size small actually fits better than slim small. All the measurement is same between S and slim S except the length of the shirt.

I dunno, maybe is just me.
I wear XS exclusively, but the slim shirts are cut slightly narrower around the chest, waist, and sleeves. That isn't to say that J.Crew has improved their cuts recently. Maybe the regular shirts are now slimmer than they used to be.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The suggestions aren't very practical. For one, it'll be harder to move around. Also likely too warm for spring. Fall/winter, maybe.

Hmm. I dunno. I think the combinations are interesting. I tried the blazer/jacket idea today--not sure it worked with my brown tweed, and maybe would have worked better with a thinner blazer in a grey or light blue. But it was fun giving it a shot.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I didn't see any slim shirts from land's end. I didn't know they made them in slim. The fit actually isn't too bad. If I were really picky, I'd get them taken in a little.

Last edited:

zxu426

Reaction score
Hmm. I dunno. I think the combinations are interesting. I tried the blazer/jacket idea today--not sure it worked with my brown tweed, and maybe would have worked better with a thinner blazer in a grey or light blue. But it was fun giving it a shot.
It's definitely interesting and often blogged about, but I'm more afraid of my sportcoat/topcoat ripping with the slightest movement. Not worth spending more to get a larger size to accommodate the denim jacket. If you ask me, it's just another marketing tactic.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's definitely interesting and often blogged about, but I'm more afraid of my sportcoat/topcoat ripping with the slightest movement. Not worth spending more to get a larger size to accommodate the denim jacket. If you ask me, it's just another marketing tactic.

After today's effort, I would tend to agree. I won't do it again. It felt a little too tight for comfort. It was nice and warm though.

However, I think I still want to try some of the other combinations, like with the fatigue jacket, the rain jacket, and another rugged piece of outerwear. I've got a J. Crew millerain (sp?) fireman's jacket from a few seasons ago that would have room for this.

lostintranslation

Reaction score
Wish that I had picked up the Heathfield jacket when it was still in stock. I tried it out in stores and it was a perfect fit. Wonder if anybody on B&S has one for sale...

warrenjl1

Reaction score
I bought the blue Heathfield on this most recent 25% of sale items for around $120 total. Thought they had been sold out of size small for awhile, but must have found a few somewhere. I'm so happy I picked it up. I had been trying to preorder since last spring when I was told they weren't even going to make it. Glad I waited for the sale price. It really is a great piece. Great length, great sleeve length, nice and slim, perfectly versatile spring outer layer. I'm not a huge J Crew fan, usually just stick to the third party stuff and some of the sweaters, but this was a really good piece.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Original price on the heathfield is a bit ridiculous.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought the blue Heathfield on this most recent 25% of sale items for around $120 total. Thought they had been sold out of size small for awhile, but must have found a few somewhere. I'm so happy I picked it up. I had been trying to preorder since last spring when I was told they weren't even going to make it. Glad I waited for the sale price. It really is a great piece. Great length, great sleeve length, nice and slim, perfectly versatile spring outer layer. I'm not a huge J Crew fan, usually just stick to the third party stuff and some of the sweaters, but this was a really good piece.

Damn, no kidding. I'm looking for the Heathfield jacket, too. Would have snapped it up at $120 total.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I grabbed the British millerain fatigue coat a couple of years ago at the clearance store for a ridiculously low price. Something under 100 bucks. It's a large, which fits a bit big on me, but damn, I love it and i wear it anyway. A bulky sweater fills it out a little. If you guys get this, I'd recommend sizing down one from your usual J. Crew size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads