• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iwc mark xv vs rolex explorer 1

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im a 'one watch' type of guy and want something that goes with everything from jeans and t shirt to a suit. would wear the explorer on a nato ( i dont like the hollow bracelet) and the iwc on a leather strap. i would buy used in either case and there is a price difference: the iwc seems around 1500gbp while the expy is 2000gbp.
leaving that aside, what do people think? im not worried about the 'too small, buy a panerai' comments i am not a big watch fan and will be selling my speedy pro to fund the purchase. it was a great watch but i just find the weight around my wrist too distracting. for me 36-39mm seems the perfect size.
will the iwc hold its value as well as the rolex?

braised

Reaction score
IWC, classic and less obvious than the rolex. MK XV is one of my favorite watches. You should be able to find one for less than 1500gbp though.

B

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I would keep the Speedy but that's not what you asked.
I have both an Explorer and XV (3 variations in fact) and of the two, would pick the Explorer.
I assume you're considering the classic black Flieger dial.

1500gbp sounds really high for a used XV on strap but I haven't followed the used market recently.

singlechange

Reaction score
+ 1 for IWC. With more than several years as watch collector, I have had two IWC's. Authentic watches with quality craftsmanship and design. However, most people move on to acquire more watches, so if that is the case with you, perhaps the Rolex might be a little bit easier to sell later. Be sure to do your research someplace like Timezone.com too.

Elmo

Reaction score
L1000106.jpg

The Explorer 1 is a classic. About a month ago I bought a 1998 U serial Rolex Explorer-1 Ref: 14270. I changed the bracelet to a Hirsch Extreme rubber and now wear it all the time.

It's on the small side by todays standards but a masterpiece.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own an IWC Mk XVI and a Rolex Explorer II (so not quite the same as you're looking at) and love both. The hollow bracelet doesn't really bother me and i actually consider this part of the Rolex charm. If buying used, though, I might look for a MK XII, as it is fitted with the less common, more refined JLC movement, vs. the MK XV's ETA base. However if I could only have one, and I didn't find 36mm too small, I'd go for the Explorer, as I just love the overall look.

wmb

Reaction score
I have Exp 1 as a 'one watch' and really want to buy a IWC XVI. To my eye the IWC is marginally less dressy if worn with a suit or jacket so a touch less versatile. Cant lose really...

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both are nice, but over priced IMO. I'd go for the Omega Railmaster (mid size, no date) for under $2k street price. Coaxial movement is a step over the IWC or Rolex.

Buy it on the bracelet a wear it as a casual weekend watch. Change it to the strap and wear it as a nice dress watch.

Twotone

railmaster.gif

cbird

Reaction score
I have an Explorer and have come to like it even more after buying it than I did before. It is a very versatile watch, and also very tough - I never feel the need to take it off to protect it from damage. The IWC is also a fine watch, but another I'd recommend looking at is the Glashutte Original Senator Sixties, which is simple, yet definitely finer than either the Rolex or the IWC, yet in the same ballpark price range. The Glashutte has a lot of style and really has to be seen in real life to be appreciated.

justindo

Reaction score
I would keep the Speedy, but between the two you mentioned I'd go for the IWC, especially if you want to put the Rolex on a nato and have it be your only watch. I like the Omega Railmaster idea, though.

highball

Reaction score
Another vote for the IWC.

I also like the railmaster suggestion. I'd also consider the Seamaster Aqua Terra if youend up sticking with Omega

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so the result of this thread was that i bought the rolex... a month later i am finding that it does wear a bit small on me (and i was never a fan of big watches). i guess 40/42mm is now the norm for a sports watch (ie to be worn with jeans etc which is what i wear about 90% of the time). anyway, now thinking of buying another speedy, should've listened to some of the suggestions above, but i guess you have to go there yourself to find out.

Elmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robinsongreen68
so the result of this thread was that i bought the rolex... a month later i am finding that it does wear a bit small on me (and i was never a fan of big watches). i guess 40/42mm is now the norm for a sports watch (ie to be worn with jeans etc which is what i wear about 90% of the time). anyway, now thinking of buying another speedy, should've listened to some of the suggestions above, but i guess you have to go there yourself to find out.

there are rumors on the rolex forums of a 40/41 mm explorer in the next year that will be announced at Basel 2010

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say Railmaster for the movement and also consider Stowa Airman, I've recently got one and feared it would look cheap, well it doesn't!
And of course keep the Speedy.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member