• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's College Football Season boys!!!

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Overall, this season has really sucked. There are almost no interesting storylines.

-so nobody can really debate them being amongst the all time great teams.

-Tebow

joke? they're not the best team the last 5 years, tebow isnt the best qb in the best 5 years. hell, he wasnt even the best player on his team last year. if it was for the multiple jobs by the refs florida would be bottom feeding with usc right now.

texas and tcu should play in the rose bowl.

that said, im looking forward to the longhorns puttin a smack down on the gators come january.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde
joke? they're not the best team the last 5 years, tebow isnt the best qb in the best 5 years. hell, he wasnt even the best player on his team last year. if it was for the multiple jobs by the refs florida would be bottom feeding with usc right now.

texas and tcu should play in the rose bowl.

that said, im looking forward to the longhorns puttin a smack down on the gators come january.

The Gators would demolish Texas. Just crush them. And I'm not even a Gators fan and this isn't even a particularly good Gators team. Texas doesn't have a defense and is used to carving up the creampuff Big 12 defenses.

Yes, I'm engaging in hyperbole, but your post pretty much warranted. The difference is that I realize it's hyperbole.....

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
The Gators would demolish Texas. Just crush them. And I'm not even a Gators fan and this isn't even a particularly good Gators team. Texas doesn't have a defense and is used to carving up the creampuff Big 12 defenses.

Yes, I'm engaging in hyperbole, but your post pretty much warranted. The difference is that I realize it's hyperbole.....

ALL TIME GREATEST TEAM not hyperbole? This year's Gators are not even as good as LAST YEAR's Gators. That team dropped 1 point to Ole Snead, this team should have had even more losses.
To talk all-time greats one only needs to wind back to 2001 Miami, 1995 Nebraska.... 2005 Texas.
Keep it to this decade and they would not be on the upper half (2000 Oklahoma, 2004 USC). It's laughable.

Percy Harvin was last year's MVP. His TD-threat breakout speed oftened the defenses. If you find something impressive about a 240lb guy plowing for 3.5yd per carry attempt behind a strong line, you have low standards. Tim tebow has more fingers in his right hand than he does 20+yd rushes. If you remember the SEC there was a fellow named Matt Jones with similar build - there's a guy that can run. Colt McCoy 2008 - also a true scrambler.

This is the best defense Texas has fielded in ages. Better than 2005. If Florida can survive Alabama, it's 45-14 in Pasadena.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
joke? they're not the best team the last 5 years, tebow isnt the best qb in the best 5 years. hell, he wasnt even the best player on his team last year. if it was for the multiple jobs by the refs florida would be bottom feeding with usc right now. texas and tcu should play in the rose bowl. that said, im looking forward to the longhorns puttin a smack down on the gators come january.
You misread what i said. I think there is some letdown in Florida as a storyline because they haven't dominated like some expected them to and thus aren't in a discussion for all time great teams. They're obviously really good, but not ready to be immortalized in bronze. That doesn't sell papers nationally. And I'm just tired of Tebow. Great person, annoying news subject.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
ALL TIME GREATEST TEAM not hyperbole? This year's Gators are not even as good as LAST YEAR's Gators. That team dropped 1 point to Ole Snead, this team should have had even more losses.
To talk all-time greats one only needs to wind back to 2001 Miami, 1995 Nebraska.... 2005 Texas.
Keep it to this decade and they would not be on the upper half (2000 Oklahoma, 2004 USC). It's laughable.

Percy Harvin was last year's MVP. His TD-threat breakout speed oftened the defenses. If you find something impressive about a 240lb guy plowing for 3.5yd per carry attempt behind a strong line, you have low standards. Tim tebow has more fingers in his right hand than he does 20+yd rushes. If you remember the SEC there was a fellow named Matt Jones with similar build - there's a guy that can run. Colt McCoy 2008 - also a true scrambler.

This is the best defense Texas has fielded in ages. Better than 2005. If Florida can survive Alabama, it's 45-14 in Pasadena.

LOL

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

Do you even want people to take you seriously or is this just one big troll?
  • Name me two media outlets calling this the Gators team the "All-time Greatest Team."
  • I don't think even the most ardent, but intelligent, Texas fan would consider Colt freakin McCoy a better scrambler than Tebow. Better passer? Certainly. Runner? Not even close.
  • Matt Jones could do a pound of coke and still not be as good a scrambler as Tebow.
  • 2005 Texas barely beat USC. To compare them to the '95 Huskers or 2001 'Canes as an all-time great team is absurd.

I admire your ardent support of your school, but I think you do a disservice to its reputation by being so hyperbolic and, frankly, ignorant about college football.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tebow doesn't really "scramble" though. he just plows ahead a few yards and then falls over. colt can get out of the pocket and pick up 10+ yards, not to mention toss the bean, too.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Do you even want people to take you seriously or is this just one big troll?
  • Name me two media outlets calling this the Gators team the "All-time Greatest Team."
  • I don't think even the most ardent, but intelligent, Texas fan would consider Colt freakin McCoy a better scrambler than Tebow. Better passer? Certainly. Runner? Not even close.
  • Matt Jones could do a pound of coke and still not be as good a scrambler as Tebow.
  • 2005 Texas barely beat USC. To compare them to the '95 Huskers or 2001 'Canes as an all-time great team is absurd.

I admire your ardent support of your school, but I think you do a disservice to its reputation by being so hyperbolic and, frankly, ignorant about college football.

Matt Jones
2001. 74 carries, 592 yards (8.0) [in 8 games, as freshman)
2002. 129 carries, 614 yards (4.8)
2003. 89 carries, 633 yards (7.1)
2004. 83 carries, 622 yards (7.5)

I understand you are bad at math. It's okay. Others are too.

Colt McCoy similarly has higher yards per carry, and MORE runs for LONGER yards. THAT is scrambling. Falling atop ones linemen is not scrambling.

2005 USC was universally hailed as the greatest team of all time. 2 Heisman winners. Fastest defense in the country. They were the team people fantasized playing against NFL Lions. And Texas beat them.

It'd do you good to tune your television away from GatorNetwork once in a while.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Texas only gains 0.3 more yards per game than Florida. While Texas has more yards passing, they also average over a yard less per attempt, and they have thrown the ball 380 times to Florida's 232.

Florida averages a full 1.1 yards more per rush than Texas on 54 more attempts.

The teams are pretty damn close defensively. Both teams have played a ridiculously easy schedule, though not by design. In both leagues the "contenders" were down. However, Texas' schedule is slightly worse.

The two big things that stand out when you compare the teams are red zone offense, where Texas has a big advantage, and turnovers, where Florida has a substantial lead.

Also, while Texas has given up as many sacks as Florida, Texas has not played one team with a decent defensive line, including Oklahoma. Florida, on the other hand, has played better (slightly) better defensive line units. Florida also gets more sacks from it's ends, which leads me to believe they can contain McCoy scrambling better than Texas can contain Tebow.

These teams seem really evenly matched. A couple of factors favor Florida in my mind:

First, Florida has sputtered around on offense against all manner of defenses, from good to bad. However, when push came to shove, the offense found a way to put points on the board. The defense typically got better as the games wore on, giving up a total of 39 yards in the second half in their last three games.

Texas has not faced a decent defense all year with the exception of Oklahoma. Against that team, Texas only scored 16.

I don't think Texas is really used to grinding out games, while Florida is. If the game turns into an ugly slugfest, which is what I expect, Florida has the advantage in my opinion.

Second, I believe that Florida's punter is better, and that may well be what decides this game.

Also, I'm not willing to bet against Tebow. The kid has a force of will unlike anything I've ever seen in college football. He won't look pretty doing it, but he can basically carry the team to a win. I'm not sure if McCoy can do that.

Of course, this assumes Florida gets by Alabama, which is not a given.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Texas only gains 0.3 more yards per game than Florida. While Texas has more yards passing, they also average over a yard less per attempt, and they have thrown the ball 380 times to Florida's 232.

Florida averages a full 1.1 yards more per rush than Texas on 54 more attempts.

The teams are pretty damn close defensively. Both teams have played a ridiculously easy schedule, though not by design. In both leagues the "contenders" were down. However, Texas' schedule is slightly worse.

The two big things that stand out when you compare the teams are red zone offense, where Texas has a big advantage, and turnovers, where Florida has a substantial lead.

Also, while Texas has given up as many sacks as Florida, Texas has not played one team with a decent defensive line, including Oklahoma. Florida, on the other hand, has played better (slightly) better defensive line units. Florida also gets more sacks from it's ends, which leads me to believe they can contain McCoy scrambling better than Texas can contain Tebow.

These teams seem really evenly matched. A couple of factors favor Florida in my mind:

First, Florida has sputtered around on offense against all manner of defenses, from good to bad. However, when push came to shove, the offense found a way to put points on the board. The defense typically got better as the games wore on, giving up a total of 39 yards in the second half in their last three games.

Texas has not faced a decent defense all year with the exception of Oklahoma. Against that team, Texas only scored 16.

I don't think Texas is really used to grinding out games, while Florida is. If the game turns into an ugly slugfest, which is what I expect, Florida has the advantage in my opinion.

Second, I believe that Florida's punter is better, and that may well be what decides this game.

Also, I'm not willing to bet against Tebow. The kid has a force of will unlike anything I've ever seen in college football. He won't look pretty doing it, but he can basically carry the team to a win. I'm not sure if McCoy can do that.

Of course, this assumes Florida gets by Alabama, which is not a given.

I like you!
bigstar[1].gif
This is pretty much my thinking.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, another Uga died. I blame Willie Martinez. He probably showed Uga VII the defensive gameplan for the Tech game, and Uga just couldn't take it.

Korben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
uga7.jpg

What an ugly son of a *****.

May God have mercy on its soul.

At least UGA is just up to VII well I guess VIII, my beloved Vols are up to IX, with several lost after just one year.. They got out and got ran over.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads