• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian knots

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I think you'll find that the four-in-hand is more or less the official forum knot. Big knots are much maligned around these parts.

Yet another instance of unfortunate dogmatic myopia.
The tie knot is an integral part of the head-collar-knot harmony. So why use just one, when we have so many different collars and heads?

On somebody with a relatively large head and cutaway collar (not pointing any fingers or anything), a FIH can look lost or comically small, worse make the head appear even larger. Something like a Pratt or Half-Windsor can fill in the collar nicely while counter-balancing the head.

Deep30hz, thanks for the links, I like that Italian/Cavendish knot. Looks very festive for some reason.

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
I sport a double Hanover.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Redwoood
Yet another instance of unfortunate dogmatic myopia. The tie knot is an integral part of the head-collar-knot harmony. So why use just one, when we have so many different collars and heads? On somebody with a relatively large head and cutaway collar (not pointing any fingers or anything), a FIH can look lost or comically small, worse make the head appear even larger. Something like a Pratt or Half-Windsor can fill in the collar nicely while counter-balancing the head. Deep30hz, thanks for the links, I like that Italian/Cavendish knot. Looks very festive for some reason.
Identifying dogma is not the same as endorsing it. Of course, not everyone can understand that (not pointing fingers or anything).

StylenotFashion

Reaction score
Please allow a bit of knowledge and style to be passed on from an older statesman... Tie Etiquette: Or, Ten Golden Rules for a Tarnished Age We tend to agree with the maxim that men of style are never too fashionable, that idiosyncrasy always plays its part in stylish dress. And yet there are unspoken rules that a gentleman ignores at his own peril. Not exactly an arcane code, but there are unwary subtleties of dress. The smaller points of wearing a tie makes a good case for adhering to a certain form. 1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor; and only the four-in-hand for knit ties. Other knots are novelties. 2. The self-loop at the back of the large blade, sometimes called a “keeper” but often merely the makers label, needn’t actually be used in fact to hold the smaller blade, better not to, for a freer, more stylish note. 3. The blade ends should ideally reach the top of the trouser waistband and should match up in length. Not as easy as it looks to the uninitiated. 4. A small dimple at the base of the knot shows a certain je ne sais quoi of finesse. 5. With tie bars, as with mens’ jewellery generally, anything other than tasteful discretion can be hazardous, and probably should be avoided. 6. A tie should always be untied carefully after wearing. As Miss Adelaide says in Guys and Dolls, “We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob.” 7. Fabric ties (silk, wool, cashmere, cotton) should be rolled after wearing and then hung; knit ties should be rolled and never hung. 8. A four-in-hand or half-Windsor knot should just fill the tie space at the collar button and be taut enough to arch out from the collar a bit; the mid-section of the tie should be completely hidden under the collar at the back. 9. Bow ties should never look perfectly tied. Ceaseless practice usually suffices to produce the precise look of subtle imperfection. 10. The proper length for a bow tie is achieved when the ends sit within the edges of the collar. This necessitates buying bow ties with sized graduated bands or with an adjustable slider.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Identifying dogma is not the same as endorsing it. Of course, not everyone can understand that (not pointing fingers or anything).

...and following dogma is not the same as identifying it.
Good that we talked about this.

No idea who you're talking about, but I'm talking about the PoW
sly.gif

prince_charles_1844633.jpg

A Kent knot is even smaller than a FIH, thus, demonstrates the previous points even better.

Deep30hz

Reaction score
Yet another instance of unfortunate dogmatic myopia.
The tie knot is an integral part of the head-collar-knot harmony. So why use just one, when we have so many different collars and heads?

On somebody with a relatively large head and cutaway collar (not pointing any fingers or anything), a FIH can look lost or comically small, worse make the head appear even larger. Something like a Pratt or Half-Windsor can fill in the collar nicely while counter-balancing the head.

Deep30hz, thanks for the links, I like that Italian/Cavendish knot. Looks very festive for some reason.

Yea, that Italian/Cavendish/Plazport(never heard of it lol) or whatever the demonstrator called it has a fun and carefree style to it. Guess he works for Andrews ties.

The other guy at Lugo Tailored Lifestyle has his own way. An even more carefree, looser and stylish look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pquO...os=8FwsfyCyNqo

Fat-tie-knot

Reaction score
Also affectionately known as 'the cow bell '

Amen!

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-tie-knot
Amen!

Ey great firm. I´ll use daily to screw my sneaky friends.
laugh.gif

Cravat is a principle of moral order. It is a kind of confirmation of what you are or, at least, what you would like to be." Domenico Rea

il_colonnello

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylenotFashion
1. There are really only two knots worth considering: the four-in-hand and half-Windsor

3. The blade ends should ideally reach the top of the trouser waistband and should match up in length.

Personally I think that looks awful. Anyway I don't see how men of different body heights/torso lengths are supposed to achieve blades of equal lengths with varying-length ties using only FIH and half-Windsor. Unless you have your ties shortened/lengthened when you buy them, which is getting a bit carried away I think.

Variety is the spice of life.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member