• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is your wardrobe more expensive than your car?

Is your wardrobe more expensive than your car?

• Yes, I have proper sartorial priorities.

Votes: 63 64.3%
  • No, that's stupid.

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • I live in New York City.

Votes: 6 6.1%

• Total voters

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a great truck, don't get me wrong. I have a buddy who has one of the newer Tundras and it's definitely bigger (inside and out), but my Silverado is still noticeably bigger by my eyes. I don't think he ever felt underpowered with a v6, but it just can't compare to a 4.8l v8.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Millenials are young, so I'd be surprised if they were buying much in the way of sassy stuff. They will eventually upgrade, though. The meat of the assertion was that they weren't buying at all, and that would be disastrous for the industry. A change of taste is just an adjustment.

CM, I take it you're unpersuaded by Ford's aluminum and turbo V6 strategy.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Millenials are young, so I'd be surprised if they were buying much in the way of sassy stuff. They will eventually upgrade, though. The meat of the assertion was that they weren't buying at all, and that would be disastrous for the industry. A change of taste is just an adjustment.

CM, I take it you're unpersuaded by Ford's aluminum and turbo V6 strategy.

I would tend to agree about millennials. I'd think their age would play a large part in it. Maybe that means that people aren't buying as many cars at a young age, but it might not mean they won't when they get older.

As for Ford, I don't know much about them. It's not a terrible idea but I would wonder about durability. My father in law has a new F150 and he puts his through more than I ever put mine through. He hauls a camper long distances. Never had any complaints.

mxgl2810

Reaction score
As long as the american based automakers are selling trucks and large SUVs and are reaching the CAFE standard they will be fine. Most of my friends buy from the small sedan segment and love them- like the Cruze and Focus and Civic.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As long as the american based automakers are selling trucks and large SUVs and are reaching the CAFE standard they will be fine. Most of my friends buy from the small sedan segment and love them- like the Cruze and Focus and Civic. 

My aforementioned friend bought a Cruze with his brother's discount. I quite like it. Nice styling, solid, and efficient.

Apparently all the hype about millennial disinterest in cars is a bunch of hooey: http://jalopnik.com/millennials-buy-a-ton-of-cars-everyone-was-wrong-1698923293

It's not surprising that StyFo attracts a bunch of participants who prefer clothes to cars...

Except the author of the referenced article doesn't understand math.
http://jalopnik.com/millennials-arent-buying-more-cars-there-are-just-more-1699514536

Well. Math is important.

What I'd like to see is a comparison of the generations controlling for income and age. Is a 25 y.o. making $50k today more or less likely to own a car than the equivalent person 10, 20, 30 years ago?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference? When it comes down to it, wearing a suit and tie is one of the most masculine things you can do. Sure, you can look effeminate while doing that, and some purposefully do, however there is no question that the suit is originally a masculine garment.

I saw a shirt once that said "A man can never have too much whiskey, too many books, or too many guns". This, of course, says that a man should be able to handle his liquor, should seek knowledge, and should know how to fight. This is a very Teddy Roosevelt/Ernest Hemingway view of masculinity, and there are many other views out there. It's the one I like the best, though, because it acknowledges that a man is neither an unthinking brute nor entirely cerebral.

Best answer so far Caustic Man, appreciate it!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are we arguing about who has the biggest truck, now? :lookaround:

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are we arguing about who has the biggest ruck, now?
lookaround.gif

It wouldn't be fair.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
loldamnit

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very illuminating thread. Since most of my clothes were either thrifted by me or by fellow SF thrifters, I can assuredly say that my cars cost more than my wardrobe.
As to Shawn's question about classification. I love sports, both watching and playing. Have been, at various times, an avid rock-climber, caver, diver, pilot, go-kart racer.
Most days I listen to classical music while driving.
Have an ever-deepening interest in art.
Believe wholeheartedly in higher ed, obviously.
Spend my days writing, researching, and teaching.
Enjoy construction...currently remodeling our master bathroom (I would flip houses for fun if I won the lottery, doing the work myself).

So, oddly, my dream is actually being lived by Vanilla Ice...a shocking personal revelation.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite quotes, from Esquire magazine: "You are in your car an hour each day; you are in your clothes from morning till night. Spend accordingly."

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derinmichel